Hardware recommendations

I just recently was gifted a NORCO RPC-4220 chassis, but it does not come with any of the controllers for the HDDS. It has the sleds but nothing for the HDDS to plug-in to. I plan on buying a Supermicro  x8dti-f with two intel xeon e5504 processors, and adding 64GB of DDR3 RAM to it. Outside of that I have 0 clue where to begin looking for either Raid controller replacements or modding to get something to work. I'd like to keep it hot swap-able and I plan on using it for a plex server (maybe not plex specifically), a central place for Steam games and somewhere to dump my family pictures.

16 minutes ago, ThomasReid said:

I plan on buying a Supermicro  x8dti-f with two intel xeon e5504 processors, and adding 64GB of DDR3 RAM to it.

Try to go for a newer platform, at least Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. Nehalem on LGA1366 is an old, slow, power hog these days. Even buying new desktop parts would eventually pay for itself in power savings.

Does your chassis have a backplane? You should just need a SAS controller with enough ports to support all those drives.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

So I live in a relatively tech sparse area of the US. I managed to find the mobo/cpus combo for $50, and the RAM for $15 so I'm trying to keep things dirt cheap just to get my hands dirty and start into the home lab space. The chassis does not have the backplane (thank you that's the technical term that I was missing from my post)

The backplane is specifically what I'm looking to get replaced or mod one in....which may be difficult based on the mobo choice.

1 hour ago, ThomasReid said:

It has the sleds but nothing for the HDDS to plug-in to

Wait, is it missing the backplanes? Or just the HBA that the backplanes plug into?

EDIT: 

42 minutes ago, ThomasReid said:

The chassis does not have the backplane

Okay, it's missing the backplanes. That's BONKERS. You're kinda hooped. Looks like they weren't that great to begin with. 
Replacement backplanes are HARD to come by. Unless you're in a MASS market server you're unlikely to find just the backplanes for any reasonable price. I'd probably recommend just sacrificing airflow and go with SAS to SATA expansion cables. It makes the sleds a LOT less hot swapable, but it allows you to actually use the case

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

As for the HBA, I'd recommend an LSI Megaraid XXXX-16i which will only get you 16 of the 20 bays covered, but you can then grab a 4i/8i to handle the rest, though if you're shucking and jiving this hard for parts, you might just stick to 16 drives to start with.
LSI HBA model numbers are four digits then a dash then the number of drives it handles, then an I or an E to indicate if the connectors are inside or outside the case respectively

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

I think I found a pretty decent price on an LSI MegaRAID 9260-16i ($60) as far as the missing backplanes I don't know what to say, I was gifted it so I'm not exactly going to look a gift horse in the mouth here. Also, they had bought Noctua fans to replace the og server fans so I'm not complaining. My wife might when I tell her I have a new project but that's my issue to deal with 😄

So I guess all I really need at this point is a PSU to power it all and I'm thinking about an M.2 PCIe card to keep the OS on, that way the drives are *just* storage.

HBA:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133485835643?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OwHu05S9RzG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=B1xTkXm_Qfe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It comes with SAS to SATA adapters, and it’ll do 8 drives out of the box. If you ever need more, you can just buy a SAS expander. How many drives are you planning on needing?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 hours ago, ThomasReid said:

So I guess all I really need at this point is a PSU to power it all and I'm thinking about an M.2 PCIe card to keep the OS on, that way the drives are *just* storage.

Good idea, but you're going to need at least Haswell/Broadwell (Xeon v3 or Intel 4xxx) to boot off M.2. Anything older would need to chain-boot off a USB flash drive.

4 hours ago, ThomasReid said:

The backplane is specifically what I'm looking to get replaced or mod one in....which may be difficult based on the mobo choice.

The backplanes are motherboard-agnostic, and honestly the Norco ones aren't all that great in the first place.

You don't have to use backplanes. There's nothing stopping you from slotting all your drives in and then plugging SATA/SAS and power cables into them. You just won't be able to hot swap as easily.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

As said, you'd find it very hard to get a replacement backplane. Norco has been dead a while now; and while it does use a conventional form factor (theyre largely a clone of Supermicro servers) that maybe something 3rd party will fit; most of the 3rd party are 12, 16 or 24 port backplanes not 20 port.

Theyre also quite expensive; so probably outside of the budget for this build. So you're probably best as the others have suggested plugging the drives direct to the HBA's with SATA breakout cables. 

Something like this (12Gbps SAS): https://www.ebay.com/itm/364563172676

More budget friendly options would be to get a 16 port (6Gbps SAS) and connect the rest of the drives to onboard: https://www.ebay.com/itm/38687600505 

Or get a 8 port (6Gbps SAS) + SAS Expander: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162958581156 + https://www.ebay.com/itm/353986556364

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA