Good sounding speakers for my pc under £150

JakubR8

Im going to uni and i want to get some speakers for my pc for around £150. Thankyouuu

Since you're going to uni, I imagine desk space will be tight.

Any Edifier speakers that fit your budget.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is good beginner speakers for a tight budget, but you might be an asshole bothering your roommates with a subwoofer.

Other small-ish brands that typically get recommended are above your budget (e.g. AudioEngine, Kanto)

You could also just buy a decent bluetooth speaker and use a 3.5mm cable.

The JBL Flip series is good. I have the 4, so I don't know if the 5 and 6 have any downsides. There's the Soundcore Motion-series too.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

15 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

Im going to uni and i want to get some speakers for my pc for around £150. Thankyouuu

Wouldn't you want headphones if you're going to be in a room with someone else?

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

7 minutes ago, filpo said:

Nah, I had a sick set of Swan 2.1 M10 speakers in university, and it got a lot of usage playing out loud with everyone.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

26 minutes ago, filpo said:

you dont usually share rooms with someone at uni in the uk. Unless you are on a super tight budget, you mostly stay in 1 bedroom en suites.

30 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Since you're going to uni, I imagine desk space will be tight.

Any Edifier speakers that fit your budget.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is good beginner speakers for a tight budget, but you might be an asshole bothering your roommates with a subwoofer.

Other small-ish brands that typically get recommended are above your budget (e.g. AudioEngine, Kanto)

You could also just buy a decent bluetooth speaker and use a 3.5mm cable.

The JBL Flip series is good. I have the 4, so I don't know if the 5 and 6 have any downsides. There's the Soundcore Motion-series too.

its only for my pc when im watching netflix or playing an rpg or something. ive already got a sonos speaker which uses the wifi which i use for music anyway.

44 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

its only for my pc when im watching netflix or playing an rpg or something. ive already got a sonos speaker which uses the wifi which i use for music anyway.

Okay that doesn't address either my Edifier or Klipsch suggestion.. lol.

At this kind of budget I'd recommend just going with a decent pair of headphones, if you must have speakers then sometimes you can get very lucky with a used pair of JBL 305's around your budget but it isn't very common. I wouldn't really consider speakers under JBL 305 prices, you might like what Edifier and Klipsch have but I'd prioritise a pair of 305's over anything else you might find

Could you elaborate on what good sound means to you?
For example: for bang-for-the buck sound quality I would typically recommend some set of small studio monitors. Considering your budget there are a couple of options that might work: Presonus Eris 3.5, Alesis Elevate 5, Behringer Truth 4.5,... (you get the idea).

Disclaimer: I haven't heard any of those speakers and thus can't give you an objective opinion on sound quality, but judging by customer reviews they seem to be alright. They all have front volume control which I would consider a plus for your use-case. 

That being said, as they are (or rather, try to imitate) studio monitors, they have a rather flat frequency response. That might or might not be what you're looking for. Especially the Eris 3.5 don't offer a lot when it comes to bass reproduction, but they all should sound pleasantly natural when it comes to voice reproduction. 

If you're more interested in "fun" (a little more bass and treble), a typical 2.1 PC system would be the way to go. I think the before mentioned Klipsch are a really good recommendation, something similar could be the Logitech Z623 or (used) Logitech Z2300. 

7 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

At this kind of budget I'd recommend just going with a decent pair of headphones, if you must have speakers then sometimes you can get very lucky with a used pair of JBL 305's around your budget but it isn't very common. I wouldn't really consider speakers under JBL 305 prices, you might like what Edifier and Klipsch have but I'd prioritise a pair of 305's over anything else you might find

Not gonna lie, I wrote something about the JBL 305 and deleted it later on 😅

I can only agree that the JBL 305 are one of the bang-for-the-buck speakers out there.

But, at least over here in Germany a pair of 305s + a somewhat decent audio interface would set you back more than double the budget OP has given to us, which is why for me this advice seemed a bit obsolete...

46 minutes ago, Sandbass said:

Not gonna lie, I wrote something about the JBL 305 and deleted it later on 😅

I can only agree that the JBL 305 are one of the bang-for-the-buck speakers out there.

But, at least over here in Germany a pair of 305s + a somewhat decent audio interface would set you back more than double the budget OP has given to us, which is why for me this advice seemed a bit obsolete...

In the UK you can usually get a pair for around £200, if OP gets decently lucky they can get a pair within budget (I've seen 305's sell for less pretty often) for use in a college dorm underpowering the speakers is the safest option, very easy to integrate into an amplifier somewhere down the line if they decide they want more volume (again in a college dorm it's better to play it safe, administration tend to be super hard on loud sound systems in general) 

3 minutes ago, Cocococo said:

In the UK you can usually get a pair for around £200, if OP gets decently lucky they can get a pair within budget (I've seen 305's sell for less pretty often) for use in a college dorm underpowering the speakers is the safest option, very easy to integrate into an amplifier somewhere down the line if they decide they want more volume (again in a college dorm it's better to play it safe, administration tend to be super hard on loud sound systems in general) 

What exactly do you mean with "integrate into an amplifier"? Those are active speakers (built in amplification), they reach their max volume at +6dBv/+20dBu (depending on the sensitivity setting) input level - that's line level. The only thing an additional amplifier could achieve is damaging the active electronics. 

Since they don't come as stereo set with one active and one passive speaker they only have independent volume controls on the back, so an audio interface (something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or comparable) is advisable for proper volume control and balanced connection.

That's why I've recommended speakers that come as a stereo set with a volume knob at the front. Quality-wise not as good, but way less complicated and cheaper.  

20 hours ago, Cocococo said:

already use some bang and olufsen headphones for my pc and music on my phone so i wanted to get some speakers if im playing like an rpg or racing game for a long time so i dont have to wear headphones.

21 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Okay that doesn't address either my Edifier or Klipsch suggestion.. lol.

sorry i thought you were just suggesting bluetooth speakers for music lollll

27 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

sorry i thought you were just suggesting bluetooth speakers for music lollll

Don't understand why you're conflating Bluetooth Speakers with Music-only Listening though. Sound is still sound.

22 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Don't understand why you're conflating Bluetooth Speakers with Music-only Listening though. Sound is still sound.

Ive used bluetooth headphones and speakers on my pc a few times and the slight delay really annoys me. 

37 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

Ive used bluetooth headphones and speakers on my pc a few times and the slight delay really annoys me. 

That's why I said to use a 3.5mm cable if you purchase a bluetooth speaker as a desktop solution.

Anyways, it's been 46hrs since you posted the thread.

Did you look into anyone's suggestions?