RAM overclocking shenanigans

• So I have two sets of RAM, both 2x8GB, both Corsair Vengeance LPX blah blah. One set is 3000mhz, the other is 3200mhz.
  • Now the thing is that I had some fun with overclocking. I am keeping the 3000mhz set at 3600mhz for 3 years or so, I got no issue. In fact I can boot at 3800 buuut there are plenty of crashes there. At 4000 my motherboard (Gigabyte B550M DS3H) starts doing 3 beeps and no post and all of that stuff which I am not surprised of.
  • I got the other set for my father's pc but I have tested them into my own. They are working perfectly fine at 3200mhz but any overclock, no matter how little, it leads directly to those 3 beeps.
  • I am curious why is this a thing. Researching over the internet, I found that 3000 to 3600 is rather uncommon. But based on my previous experience, all RAM I had (DDR3 and DDR4) was able to do *some* overclocking, 200mhz or so.

download_more_ram.jpeg

with a quick search apparently ver 5.39 is hynix 8gbit mfr aka trash so dont expect it to do more than 3466 so yeah looks like thats your problem and why you dont buy generic xmp bins (3000-3600) if you intend to overclock

you can send a thaiphoon burner screenshot here to verify ic

48 minutes ago, Alexandru Costache said:

I am curious why is this a thing. Researching over the internet, I found that 3000 to 3600 is rather uncommon

ram ics

generic xmp kits use whatever random ics they have available so you might get a 3600c18 kit with hynix 8gbit djr and clock ~5000 (unbinned or low bin djr) or a 3600c16 kit with samsung 8gbit c die which wont clock any further than the xmp or at best 3733 cause its a trash ic

also most people are idiots and overlook the ics or other basic stuff youd learn by testing yourself aka trial by fire, also come up with nonsense like max 1.5v vdimm for all ddr4 ics or too much vdimm can damage your imc all complete bullshit

most of the knowledgable folk youll usually find them posting really high max stable frequencies/max frequency runs just for the fun of it or bench timings for high scores just niche overclockers stuff and im only in the former and i have yet to do any serious bench runs cause it is pretty fun doing high freq shenanigans

Spoiler

IMG_20240226_015145.thumb.jpg.7e23d5ac63896a27983bdf868ecf3f73.jpgIMG_20240330_233353.thumb.jpg.e9ba5766ec80228368cf2df120dc0b55.jpg

its an overclockers trick to buy bare pcbs with specific part numbers which guarantee a specific ram ic and hence guarantee decent ocability or whatever the capabilities of the ic you are buying and usually for pretty cheap

in this case its samsung 1gbit g die with a part number of m378b2873gb0, and yes if you order that specific part number youll get that specific ic each and every time, bought em for like 1$ each (have 3) and should have bought more to get a better bin as these arent particularly consistent but my best stick is good enough to hit 3400c11 albiet 2.3v so i think ill actually have to bin some more of these for a better stick cause im pretty sure once i get a gulftown this stick may have issues getting to ~3600 or maybe ill run into boardlimit first considering this is just an x58a ud3r

for horrendously inconsistent ics like samsung 8gbit bdie those are unusable in 2133 jedec bare pcb form (m378a1/2k43bb2) but most other ics like hynix 8gbit djr (hma81/82gu6djr8n) they wont be as good as binned xmp sticks (4800+ xmp binned djr sticks) but theyll be alot better than whatever garbage you get with generic xmp sticks

gdie falls in the latter and since im doing frequency runs i will definitely have to bin these green pcb sticks but for lower ocs youd run for daily stability and not driving yourself insane trying to get high freq stable binning can be mostly ignored as long as the unbinned version of the ic you are getting is good enough for the freq targets you are going for which is usually quite abit lower than their actual capabilities

like the aformentioned hynix 8gbit djr maybe unbinned would be around the 5000 mark tops but thats well above the ~3800 youd run on zen3 cpus or the 4000-4500 youd run on intel though zen3 apus being able to do ~5000 1:1 might be very annoying to get stable as the closer you get to the limits of your hardware be it ram mobo or imc the more painful and annoying oc becomes (volts or values have to be precisely set, high freq usually has temperature to take into account and if your rams overheat error be it 50c 40c even 30c depending on the oc, etc.) and yes i have felt that pain trying to stabilize 1520 ddr2 on my p5q which took around a week or 2 (issues with sticks getting too hot even with a fan) but 1470 runs just fine without a fan even if the freq gap seems small