Minisforum MS-01 i9-12900H or i5-12600H for my use case?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
3 hours ago, Motifator said:

Minisforum is a shitty ass company that often times comes up with wankjob mini PC designs. For years they did NOT include a damn full size Displayport... stay away at all costs. They're not the only one in this company. I've been building mini PCs, I know they are shit.

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-CSE-101I-Server-Chassis/dp/B00D05SW7U

This thing has its own dedicated PSU and you can put whatever you want in it. Supermicro so solid quality is to be excepted out of the metal shell..

Do you have links for these claims or relability data? Thinks like not having full size display port isn't a deal breaker for most.

What board would you get in that itx case? 

5 hours ago, ImServs said:

I dont know much about P and E cores on the newer intel CPU's, and im wondering which CPU would be more in line with what i need?
I plan on using this for active storage and a few game VMs that will never be ran at the same time. All the games run with single or dual core max.

I will be using unraid and am planning to use x3 4TB M.2 drives and 10gbe from the server to my main system.

Disregarding future proofing, do i NEED the i9 to utilize the 10gbe and a single active game server utilizing max 2 cores?

If your VMs are only using a few cores, the 12600h should be fine. Then I'd pin vms to P or E cores depending on the vm.

I'd still rather go with one of those amd 8 core mobile chips, or a used 1l minit pc from like dell.

I dont know much about P and E cores on the newer intel CPU's, and im wondering which CPU would be more in line with what i need?
I plan on using this for active storage and a few game VMs that will never be ran at the same time. All the games run with single or dual core max.

I will be using unraid and am planning to use x3 4TB M.2 drives and 10gbe from the server to my main system.

Disregarding future proofing, do i NEED the i9 to utilize the 10gbe and a single active game server utilizing max 2 cores?

Why on earth would you want a Minisforum shitter? Get an MSI mini PC, far better prices and products. I have one here.. 5600g, Optane 128 giger in, for mom. It smokes.

40 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Why on earth would you want a Minisforum shitter? Get an MSI mini PC, far better prices and products. I have one here.. 5600g, Optane 128 giger in, for mom. It smokes.

I own a minisforum already and like it a lot. They are a bit more than other options, but i find them to be pleasant to work with. And they are smaller.

29 minutes ago, ImServs said:

I own a minisforum already and like it a lot. They are a bit more than other options, but i find them to be pleasant to work with. And they are smaller.

Minisforum is a shitty ass company that often times comes up with wankjob mini PC designs. For years they did NOT include a damn full size Displayport... stay away at all costs. They're not the only one in this company. I've been building mini PCs, I know they are shit.

This thing has its own dedicated PSU and you can put whatever you want in it. Supermicro so solid quality is to be excepted out of the metal shell..

3 hours ago, Motifator said:

Do you have links for these claims or relability data? Thinks like not having full size display port isn't a deal breaker for most.

5 hours ago, ImServs said:

If your VMs are only using a few cores, the 12600h should be fine. Then I'd pin vms to P or E cores depending on the vm.

I'd still rather go with one of those amd 8 core mobile chips, or a used 1l minit pc from like dell.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

id love to go amd but i need the x3 m.2 slots and the 10gbe.