New CPU, Motherboard, and PSU

Yesterday my old Intel X48 Motherboard finally gave up the will the game any more after 6 years. I think my PSU may have had something to do with that so I'll be getting a new one of those also. So, now it's time to move on to the future with an upgrade. I play lots of BF4, AC4, and Far Cry 3, along with some Source Engine games. I was thinking about getting a 4670k for a processor. Any suggestions on a mobo and PSU? Also, is a 4670k good enough to play games for a few years?

Other PC Specs:

RAM: Corsair XMS3 8gb (4x2Gb)

GPU: XFX R9 290 Reference

SSD: Corsair F120

HDD: WD 1Tb Black

Thanks for your help!

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Do you have a specific budget?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

The 4670k is one of the best cpus for gaming. You'll be fine with it.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

Are you sure about getting a reference 290? it can be really loud. 

If you don't need any special features, pretty much any 1150 zX7 motherboard will do.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Budget?

Budget?

should it be assumed his budget might be maybe $1500-1000 dollars.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

~$600ish ideally closer to $500

The 4670k is one of the best cpus for gaming. You'll be fine with it.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

Are you sure about getting a reference 290? it can be really loud. 

If you don't need any special features, pretty much any 1150 zX7 motherboard will do.

I'm on the west coast of the US. I have a Fry's located a few miles from my house.

Already have the 290 and it's not too bad...  :wacko:

Mind you all I'm buying is a CPU, Mobo, and PSU. I have the rest.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

should it be assumed his budget might be maybe $1500-1000 dollars.

That's a very specific assumption.

Read the quote below--it's exactly why one shouldn't assume if possible. 

~$600ish ideally closer to $500

I'm on the west coast of the US. I have a Fry's located a few miles from my house.

Already have the 290 and it's not too bad...  :wacko:

Mind you all I'm buying is a CPU, Mobo, and PSU. I have the rest.

Are you limited to Fry's or are you open to US shops in general?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'll likely get it from Fry's but, they'll price match any internet price so I can do that.

I'll likely get it from Fry's but, they'll price match any internet price so I can do that.

Sweet. 

tumblr_m5hl1c9srD1rpvw65.gif

What case do you have?

I'll take that feedback.

I think that you should aim for a motherboard with a good feature set. Has the I/O you need usb 3.0 & 2.0. Enough expandability for more pcie based hardware.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Sweet. 

What case do you have?

I have an Antec Sonata 500. The R9 290 I have fits with about 1.5mm to spare  :D

I might upgrade cases later on because it doesn't have super great airflow. 

I have an Antec Sonata 500. The R9 290 I have fits with about 1.5mm to spare  :D

I might upgrade cases later on because it doesn't have super great airflow. 

Alright. Fry's might not have everything available. Is there a list of locally available products you can link us to?

Alright. Fry's might not have everything available. Is there a list of locally available products you can link us to?

Unfortunately there is not but, parts can be searched to see if they carry it but, they have a pretty decent selection of Motherboards. PSU's are a bit slim though.

http://frys.com

Edit: Upon further thought, I'll need a CPU cooler too. The stock cooler just doesn't really cut it in my opinion. Maybe a 212 Evo?

Unfortunately there is not but, parts can be searched to see if they carry it but, they have a pretty decent selection of Motherboards. PSU's are a bit slim though.

http://frys.com

Edit: Upon further thought, I'll need a CPU cooler too. The stock cooler just doesn't really cut it in my opinion. Maybe a 212 Evo?

My recommendations: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qf66

The case is just a suggestion if interested.

The 212 Evo is good.

My recommendations: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qf66

The case is just a suggestion if interested.

The 212 Evo is good.

Thanks so much! Linus has such a great forum full of helpful people! Many thanks kind sir!