• KEF Q150 - $417
  • KEF Q350 - $369
  • Monitor Audio Bronze 50 6G - $389
  • Monitor Audio Bronze 100 6G - $486
  • Polk Monitor XT20 - $250
  • Q Acoustics 3030i - $417
  • Sony SSCS5 - $167
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 - $375

Which ones do you think are the best in terms of price-to-performance? 

AMP: WiiM Amp / SMSL AO300

7 hours ago, vikdean said:

After some research I've ended up with this list:

• Dali OBERON 1 - $444
  • Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2  - $278
  • Elac Debut 2.0 DB6.2 - $333
  • Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - $478
  • Elac Uni-Fi Reference UBR62 - $694
  • Elac Unifi 2.0 - $656
  • Indiana Line DJ 308 - $389
  • Indiana Line DJ 310 - $500
  • Jamo S 803 - $375
  • Kali Audio LP-6-V2 - $444
  • KEF Q150 - $417
  • KEF Q350 - $369
  • Monitor Audio Bronze 50 6G - $389
  • Monitor Audio Bronze 100 6G - $486
  • Polk Monitor XT20 - $250
  • Q Acoustics 3030i - $417
  • Sony SSCS5 - $167
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 - $375

Which ones do you think are the best in terms of price-to-performance? 

AMP: WiiM Amp / SMSL AO300

If I didn't already own KEF Q100/Q150 at the time, I would've spent a little more for OBERON 1 back in my college days. But now that I have credit card debt, I leapfrogged over them and got the KEF R100 lol. (this was all over a decade ago)

Anyways, I think the best one in this bunch would be the ELAC Unifi 2.0 since they put all of their engineering in sound and nothing in appearance. I remember alllll of the hype back then when ELAC released their Debut and then the Uni-Fi.

My vote would be for OBERON 1

Sometimes it's not just about audio - you don't want eyesore furniture you'll look at everyday. I loveeee the silver drivers and piano black finish on my speakers. And as a reminder, a lot of speakers are very close in performance. There's not really a wrong choice - which is why I'm choosing aesthetics as the tie-breaker. If you want better audio from here, you need to jump into the $1400+ category, or get a $500 subwoofer.

I didn't know SMSL had an amp with HDMI ARC. Tough choice between the two.

But for ME, I would easily choose the WiiM amp because Spotify connect rules. It treats your smartphone as the remote, while the Amp is the streaming device. This way, if you get a phone call or notification, the sound does not transfer over to the amp for everyone to hear.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

32 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

If I didn't already own KEF Q100/Q150 at the time, I would've spent a little more for OBERON 1 back in my college days. But now that I have credit card debt, I leapfrogged over them and got the KEF R100 lol. (this was all over a decade ago)

Anyways, I think the best one in this bunch would be the ELAC Unifi 2.0 since they put all of their engineering in sound and nothing in appearance. I remember alllll of the hype back then when ELAC released their Debut and then the Uni-Fi.

My vote would be for OBERON 1

Sometimes it's not just about audio - you don't want eyesore furniture you'll look at everyday. I loveeee the silver drivers and piano black finish on my speakers. And as a reminder, a lot of speakers are very close in performance. There's not really a wrong choice - which is why I'm choosing aesthetics as the tie-breaker. If you want better audio from here, you need to jump into the $1400+ category, or get a $500 subwoofer.

I didn't know SMSL had an amp with HDMI ARC. Tough choice between the two.

But for ME, I would easily choose the WiiM amp because Spotify connect rules. It treats your smartphone as the remote, while the Amp is the streaming device. This way, if you get a phone call or notification, the sound does not transfer over to the amp for everyone to hear.

Thanks.

I've checked all of these, but I didn't really had any problems with either in terms of looks, the closest perhaps are the KEF's, which still look weird to me.

Overall performance is what I'm after, they should sound good with Music, Movies or Games.

I'm planning to add a 10" Sub later on, although not sure which exactly.

1 hour ago, vikdean said:

Overall performance is what I'm after, they should sound good with Music, Movies or Games.

Yeah, yeah, good sound is good sound. They don't make speakers for different genres.

It's not similar to headphones where you can choose closed-back for electronic, metal, bass, and open-back for classical, competitive gaming, etc.

Is that KEF Q350 price correct? $369 is extremely cheap.

Normally I tell friends to get a refurbished Q150 for $350

I don't have personal experience with the ELAC Uni-Fi series, but I was impressed with how well the ELAC Debut series sounded. It seems like inflation has hit them hard though... I originally bought the ELAC Debut in 2015 for $200 but checking Amazon now is $330, $390... totally not worth it compared to KEF's Q-series. It makes me wonder if the Uni-Fi series not a good value anymore??

I also love the way the KEF's UniQ driver looks. It's very unique, and their speaker technology specializes in sounding excellent even if you're extremely off-axis. This might be why I still like mine a lot even when they're on the floor aiming at my shins lol.

But yeah, I vote for the Dali Oberon for SQ and appearance, I vote for KEF Q150 for sound quality value, and maybe I vote for ELAC Uni-Fi for sound quality value too??

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

7 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Yeah, yeah, good sound is good sound. They don't make speakers for different genres.

It's not similar to headphones where you can choose closed-back for electronic, metal, bass, and open-back for classical, competitive gaming, etc.

Is that KEF Q350 price correct? $369 is extremely cheap.

Normally I tell friends to get a refurbished Q150 for $350

I don't have personal experience with the ELAC Uni-Fi series, but I was impressed with how well the ELAC Debut series sounded. It seems like inflation has hit them hard though... I originally bought the ELAC Debut in 2015 for $200 but checking Amazon now is $330, $390... totally not worth it compared to KEF's Q-series. It makes me wonder if the Uni-Fi series not a good value anymore??

I also love the way the KEF's UniQ driver looks. It's very unique, and their speaker technology specializes in sounding excellent even if you're extremely off-axis. This might be why I still like mine a lot even when they're on the floor aiming at my shins lol.

But yeah, I vote for the Dali Oberon for SQ and appearance, I vote for KEF Q150 for sound quality value, and maybe I vote for ELAC Uni-Fi for sound quality value too??

Yeah, there is a discount right now, so the Q350 is cheaper then the Q150. Normally it goes for $530

6 hours ago, vikdean said:

Yeah, there is a discount right now, so the Q350 is cheaper then the Q150. Normally it goes for $530

Well I vote for the Q350 then! Fuller sound for the same price!

If I were to pick the KEF Q350s, what would be a good Sub to pair them with, later on?

2 hours ago, vikdean said:

If I were to pick the KEF Q350s, what would be a good Sub to pair them with, later on?

Something from SVS. I have the sb1000pro and love it. 

I like smart home and home theater tech.

My 5.1 setup consists of: Sony x90cj 75" TV, Yamaha RX-V4A Receiver, Apple TV 4k gen 2, SVS SB-1000 Pro Sub, KEF Q350 L/R, KEF Q250c Center, KEF Q150 rears.

My smart home is based around Home Assistant.

1 hour ago, ender23 said:

Something from SVS. I have the sb1000pro and love it. 

Right, the cheapest SVS I see where I am is about $1050; about double then what my whole setup would be. Any recommendations for something a bit more reasonable?

2 hours ago, vikdean said:

Right, the cheapest SVS I see where I am is about $1050; about double then what my whole setup would be. Any recommendations for something a bit more reasonable?

You're making it difficult for us when we don't know what vendors you're able to use, and what currency.

RSL subwoofers.

Otherwise, just pick whatever is in your budget.

Typically people recommend that you spend at least $500 for a subwoofer, otherwise you're not really hearing real bass. The SB1000Pro is $600 in Amazon USA.

I personally have an REL T5i subwoofer ($745 back in 2017) because the piano black gloss matches my speakers.

7 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

You're making it difficult for us when we don't know what vendors you're able to use, and what currency.

RSL subwoofers.

Otherwise, just pick whatever is in your budget.

Typically people recommend that you spend at least $500 for a subwoofer, otherwise you're not really hearing real bass. The SB1000Pro is $600 in Amazon USA.

I personally have an REL T5i subwoofer ($745 back in 2017) because the piano black gloss matches my speakers.

I'm in Eastern Europe, so anything thats in the European market is available for me. Btw, so far beside SVS, Klipsch was the only brand that I've found which has inflated prices compared to the US.

7 hours ago, vikdean said:

I'm in Eastern Europe, so anything thats in the European market is available for me. Btw, so far beside SVS, Klipsch was the only brand that I've found which has inflated prices compared to the US.

Kid… how do you expect people around the world to know what is available in your market or not.

30 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Kid… how do you expect people around the world to know what is available in your market or not.

No one is expecting that, I dont know why you are hang up on this though. (First you said its difficult to help without knowing the country and currency, but when I specified it, you are still saying that.)

(Kid... I'm like 3 years older then you 😃)

the sb1000pro is good because its capable of hitting down to 20hz. BUT i have a 12" klipsch r-120sw (goes to 29hz) but damn it still hits good. chest feeling, floor and window vibrating goodness. (i get complaints from the family to turn it down lol) and its 299 u.s right now on amazon