Noise from speaker because of GPU when using interface

marianko

Helllo, I have audio problem. 

I have Jbl lsr 305+ lsr 310 via Focusrite Solo 3 and Usb C to A cable plugged into my pc.

Meshlicious case with

14900k, Rtx 4090, ... full build here 

I can hear my GPU via speaker. When it gets loaded noise from my speaker increase, frequency changes. I´ve got topping hs01 USB isolator. 

Now i can hear noise only when it changes, silent 90% of the time. When it changes I replug my focusrite and it is gone until it changes next. Sound is not as it was. What is my problem there? I need permanent solution. 

Try turning the audio up in windows and turning the volume down on the speakers to see if making the signal hotter fixes it good enough

I always listen at 100% volume on everything except focusrite

This is a ground loop issue.  I spent a LOT of time trying to figure this one out and a lot of different method's.  Turned out to be one of my single ended (RCA) tube amp's with a bad ground feeding back into the rest of the system.  While a different power supply helped for a while it is far from ideal especially when you consider that a ground loop isolator is cheap.  Which will depend on what piece of hardware is the culprit and how it's connected.  If you have an RCA connection before your speakers I would use one of these and call it a day.  That's the exact one I've been using for a number of months.  I have recently developed a slight crackle on my single ended side of the chain (RCA) but I'm sure it's just a loose wire, haven't had the time to dink with it, I'm about 90% sure it's not the isolator.

If you are connected through a different type let me know.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

I think Psittac could be onto something here, but in a different way: How are the JBL speakers connected to the Focusrite interface? Are you using proper balanced 6.3mm TRS to XLR adapters? I sincerely hope nobody is using RCA in a setup that only involves (semi-) professional gear and is fully capable of balanced connections 😅
Unbalanced connections are susceptible to electromagnetic interference.

A ground loop issue is not impossible, but since you are already using an USB isolator there shouldn't be any ground connection between the Focusrite and your PC, so not the first thing I'd personally think of. 

For further diagnosis I would suggest you make a recording of the noise and share it with us. It might give us a hint what it could be. 

5 hours ago, Sandbass said:

I think Psittac could be onto something here, but in a different way: How are the JBL speakers connected to the Focusrite interface? Are you using proper balanced 6.3mm TRS to XLR adapters? I sincerely hope nobody is using RCA in a setup that only involves (semi-) professional gear and is fully capable of balanced connections 😅
Unbalanced connections are susceptible to electromagnetic interference.

A ground loop issue is not impossible, but since you are already using an USB isolator there shouldn't be any ground connection between the Focusrite and your PC, so not the first thing I'd personally think of. 

For further diagnosis I would suggest you make a recording of the noise and share it with us. It might give us a hint what it could be. 

I had a USB isolator and it didn't stop the interference.  But yes it depends on how it's connected.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

Focusrite is RCA to to RCA JBL LSR 310 sub, from SUB to speakers it is XLR to XLR. Should this be the problem? It never was with different computer. But it always was a notebook 

9 hours ago, marianko said:

Focusrite is RCA to to RCA JBL LSR 310 sub, from SUB to speakers it is XLR to XLR. Should this be the problem? It never was with different computer. But it always was a notebook 

get the ground loop isolator or go all xlr and you're golden either way

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70

If you want to get rid of the noise, you'll have to find out where it is coming from. A couple more diagnostic steps you can try: 
Leave everything connected as it is, connect a pair of headphones to your Focusrite - is the noise audible via headphones? 
If so - disconnect the JBL speakers from your Focusrite - is the noise still there, or gone?

If the noise is not audible in your headphones at all, I would advise to switch to balanced cables (TRS to XLR between Focusrite and sub).
If the noise is audible in your headphones, but gone when the JBL speakers are disconnected, it has to be a grounding issue, so you should get a ground loop isolator.

If the noise is always audible in your headphones - something about your notebook, Focusrite or electrical installation is not ok. Just buy a new house, new notebook and new audio interface 😅

On 4/22/2024 at 1:56 PM, Sandbass said:

If you want to get rid of the noise, you'll have to find out where it is coming from. A couple more diagnostic steps you can try: 
Leave everything connected as it is, connect a pair of headphones to your Focusrite - is the noise audible via headphones? 
If so - disconnect the JBL speakers from your Focusrite - is the noise still there, or gone?

If the noise is not audible in your headphones at all, I would advise to switch to balanced cables (TRS to XLR between Focusrite and sub).
If the noise is audible in your headphones, but gone when the JBL speakers are disconnected, it has to be a grounding issue, so you should get a ground loop isolator.

If the noise is always audible in your headphones - something about your notebook, Focusrite or electrical installation is not ok. Just buy a new house, new notebook and new audio interface 😅

I had gpu whine in the single ended headphone jack of a dac/amp which wasn't the problem.  It was something down the line that was the issue.

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D amp Topping A70