Looking for a 70inch (+/-5) TV for under $1000 (USD), but I don't know much about TVs

Heya, first time on the forums and hoping this is an appropriate place to ask...

I'm looking for a TV to be used in the family room to watch shows and movies. It is unlikely any gaming will be done on it. There are a lot of windows in the family room so perhaps brightness would be the primary concern. HDR isn't needed but would be a plus. I don't think I want to go OLED as I don't think people will take care of it (prevent burn in, etc.)

I see tons of options online/in stores that are of this size in LED that cost as little as $500-600 (like the Samsung DU7200). Makes me a bit sus, that seems kind of cheap for something this large to be any good? Problem is, I was looking at some that were in the $1000 range, but when I checked online people said they were pretty bad (I think one such example was the Q50 or Q60?).

Anyway, would anyone be able to point some out that would be worth looking into or at the very least give me an idea of what sorts of things I should look for that will help me determine if one is good or not?

12 minutes ago, cbrngrz said:

Heya, first time on the forums and hoping this is an appropriate place to ask...

I'm looking for a TV to be used in the family room to watch shows and movies. It is unlikely any gaming will be done on it. There are a lot of windows in the family room so perhaps brightness would be the primary concern. HDR isn't needed but would be a plus. I don't think I want to go OLED as I don't think people will take care of it (prevent burn in, etc.)

I see tons of options online/in stores that are of this size in LED that cost as little as $500-600 (like the Samsung DU7200). Makes me a bit sus, that seems kind of cheap for something this large to be any good? Problem is, I was looking at some that were in the $1000 range, but when I checked online people said they were pretty bad (I think one such example was the Q50 or Q60?).

Anyway, would anyone be able to point some out that would be worth looking into or at the very least give me an idea of what sorts of things I should look for that will help me determine if one is good or not?

I was hesitant to hop on the HDR train, then I got an S22+ with a stupid bright OLED and was sold. Got a TV that supports Dolby Vision, and holy smokes, even at 250nits (no FALD) peak it still wows me in that 10% window of brightness. 

THAT SAID:

it did take some fiddling with the picture setting to get it to what I consider good color and saturation etc.  Out of the box it had some BestBuy color defaults that looked kinda bad, but it only took about 15 minutes of going through menus and adjusting for it to be right. This TV is also in a room that is predominantly dim, so the lack of true HDR brightness isn't an issue. 

My recommendation in that budget would be the:

Hisense u7 (very well reviewed)

TCL q7 (will require fiddling with picture settings to not be obnoxiously oversaturated and blown out)

(Sony, Samsung, and LG have offerings in that size+price bracket, but they underperform and are VASTLY outperformed by their higher tier options)

Dude I know what you mean. I have an S22 and god damn the screen on that thing is amazing.

I was actually just looking at the Hisense U7K as well, but I stumbled upon this reddit post where a lot of comments say Hisense as really bad QC. Makes me a bit hesitant, but see if anyone else has some input on it?