Secure Boot Crash Error

jackmneal
Go to solution Solved by DoctorNick,
27 minutes ago, jackmneal said:

Hey everyone, I've been having an issue with my PC crashing while I play games. It seems to only be when things get resource-intensive (i.e. a multiplayer match on Overwatch, the main menu runs fine though), and even then, it only sometimes crashes. The crash is weird though, the computer doesn't reset on its own or shut down. It freezes up and I have to press the restart button on my case. After that, it'll work again until I start playing a game (again sometimes even then there's no issue). I've looked into some solutions and have tried updating BIOS, running memory diagnostics, and updating my GPU drivers, and none of it has worked. The error that comes up in Event Viewer when it crashes is this: "Event 1796 The Secure Boot update failed to update a Secure Boot variable with error Secure Boot is not enabled on this machine." I'm not really sure what else to try, so I was hoping someone on here would have some suggestions.

My specs:

• CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 48 GB
  • PSU - 600 W
  • Motherboard - AORUS B450 Pro WiFi
  • BIOS Version - F65
  • Windows 11 Home Version - 23H2

Check if secure boot is enabled in BIOS. If yes. Then disable it. If disabled, enable it instead. F10 save and restart.

Hey everyone, I've been having an issue with my PC crashing while I play games. It seems to only be when things get resource-intensive (i.e. a multiplayer match on Overwatch, the main menu runs fine though), and even then, it only sometimes crashes. The crash is weird though, the computer doesn't reset on its own or shut down. It freezes up and I have to press the restart button on my case. After that, it'll work again until I start playing a game (again sometimes even then there's no issue). I've looked into some solutions and have tried updating BIOS, running memory diagnostics, and updating my GPU drivers, and none of it has worked. The error that comes up in Event Viewer when it crashes is this: "Event 1796 The Secure Boot update failed to update a Secure Boot variable with error Secure Boot is not enabled on this machine." I'm not really sure what else to try, so I was hoping someone on here would have some suggestions.

My specs:

• CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • PSU - 600 W
  • BIOS Version - F65

15 minutes ago, jackmneal said:

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 48 GB

what is this configuration?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600

chipset drivers up to date?

PSU - 600 W

do you know the model?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

27 minutes ago, jackmneal said:

My specs:

• CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • PSU - 600 W
  • BIOS Version - F65

Check if secure boot is enabled in BIOS. If yes. Then disable it. If disabled, enable it instead. F10 save and restart.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

41 minutes ago, podkall said:

what is this configuration?

chipset drivers up to date?

do you know the model?

The configuration is 8 GB each on slots 1 and 3, 16 GB each on slots 2 and 4 and DDR4 RAM. I believe the chipset drivers are up to date, but I’ll have to make sure. And for the PSU model, I’m not 100% sure. I know it’s EVGA and 600W.

30 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I’ll try it. Right now I have CSM support enabled though. I’m assuming I should turn that off.

2 minutes ago, jackmneal said:

The configuration is 8 GB each on slots 1 and 3, 16 GB each on slots 2 and 4 and DDR4 RAM. I believe the chipset drivers are up to date, but I’ll have to make sure. And for the PSU model, I’m not 100% sure. I know it’s EVGA and 600W.

and have you tried just running 2 16GB and taking out the single 8GB one?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

7 minutes ago, podkall said:

and have you tried just running 2 16GB and taking out the single 8GB one?

No I have 2 pairs. It’s 2 8GB and 2 16GB

31 minutes ago, jackmneal said:

No I have 2 pairs. It’s 2 8GB and 2 16GB

Try it with just two sticks. IIRC Zen1 has some memory management issues

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

16 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Try it with just two sticks. IIRC Zen1 has some memory management issues

I’ll try that. I just thought it would be a BIOS thing with that secure boot error message.

55 minutes ago, jackmneal said:

I’ll try that. I just thought it would be a BIOS thing with that secure boot error message.

Totally fair. Hope it resolves it for you

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 4/18/2024 at 7:48 AM, DoctorNick said:

I tried this and it worked! Thanks for the help. I was nervous to mess around with it since I had gotten stuck in a boot loop by changing that previously, but now that my BIOS is up to date that wasn't an issue. Also if anyone else has the same issue and sees this, make sure you restore the default keys once you enable secure boot. Otherwise, it will be enabled but not active.