Need help enabling xmp on new ram

Go to solution Solved by Tetras,
3 minutes ago, Loedust said:

If this is true would it be possible to install the ram into the motherboard of a friends computer and enabling xmp through his bios and then later install them in my computer?

The XMP profile on the stick just tells the BIOS how to configure the RAM, so I'm afraid this idea won't do anything for you.

Hello, I am completely fresh to this forum and forums in general so I am quite uneducated on how to properly create posts etc, either way on to the problem!

I just today recieved a pair of Corsair 32gb (16x2) 3200mhz and when installing I knew I had to enable xmp to actually have them running at 3200mhz and then when trying to enable it I noticed that HP has simply blocked my access to advanced settings in bios so I can't activate xmp on my new ram. 

I then did some looking around for any type of information about how I should solve this issue and found out that the xmp/docp profile is stored on the actuall stick itself.

If this is true would it be possible to install the ram into the motherboard of a friends computer and enabling xmp through his bios and then later install them in my computer?

As I said I am new to forums so I don't know if this is how I'm supposed to like ask questions etc but we'll see how it goes 😄

The XMP profile on the stick just tells the BIOS how to configure the RAM, so I'm afraid this idea won't do anything for you.

I then did some looking around for any type of information about how I should solve this issue and found out that the xmp/docp profile is stored on the actuall stick itself.

No, that is not possible. 

For reference, the XMP profile may be stored on the memory sticks themselves, but the motherboard is still responsible for controlling what settings the memory is actually running at. When you enable XMP, the motherboard just reads the XMP profile off the sticks then runs with those specific settings. 

19 minutes ago, Loedust said:

I noticed that HP has simply blocked my access to advanced settings in bios so I can't activate xmp on my new ram. 

FYI: for OEM systems you usually need to buy JEDEC ram instead of XMP ram, since the XMP ram can easily end up running at a lower speed than intended.

If you can share the HP model number, or the motherboard chipset, we could suggest what to buy instead, though depending on what you have, it might not be worth bothering to swap it out unless you're easily able to return it.