Old laptop hardware issue?

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx that I recently installed a new battery for. I booted up the laptop and it (I think?) failed POST. The Caps Lock and Num Lock keys flash four times and after a while it powers off. No display, not even when hooking it up to an external monitor. I looked through the guts of it and made sure everything was hooked up and connected properly. Nothing seemed wrong, but I did find a missing HDD. The Pavilion comes with two, and after looking through the other one, I can confirm that the hard drive I still have is the boot drive.

Is there something I'm missing?

Sweet laptop.

Does it have Nvidia graphics? Often that is the cause of the failure, the GPU dies due to solder issues on that generation of Nvidia mobile graphics. I've worked on a good number of these myself.

Could also be the RAM, take both out and reseat them firmly.

Not all configurations would've shipped with two HDDs, most people would've only bought one.

Unfortunately if the Nvidia graphics are dead, it will require a new motherboard. Bit of an extensive repair. The Core II/Turion era laptops only have discrete graphics so if it breaks you can't just use the iGPU.

[ Moved to Troubleshooting ]

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

29 minutes ago, da na said:

Does it have Nvidia graphics? Often that is the cause of the failure, the GPU dies due to solder issues on that generation of Nvidia mobile graphics. I've worked on a good number of these myself.

No, it's a Radeon ATI Mobility.