So my laptop BSOD recently, do I need to be concerned?

Go to solution Solved by ChrisLoudon,
8 minutes ago, Caveman0407 said:

Thanks in advance

Hi buddy,

A BSOD every so often isn't out of the norms for PCs. A BSOD every day or even every week might mean there's something more sinister going on.

First things first - Don't pay any attention to diagnostic tools from the likes of Asus, they're nigh on useless.

Have you looked the Windows Event Viewer to see what is being reported at the time of the crash?

Search for 'Event Viewer' then navigate to Windows Logs > System and then scroll down to the time the last crash occurred. There will be loads of gobbledygook to sift through but you might want spot something that sheds a bit of light on the issue. You might want to look at Windows Logs > Application and see if anything useful is being reported.

If its a graphics card / driver issue then the chances are the error will be reported in Windows Logs > System and if its a software / Valorant issue then you will probably find the error log in Windows Logs > Application.

If you suspect its a driver problem then use a tool called DDU to remove all traces of the existing driver and then reinstall.

What are you temps like? Does the laptop feel like its overheating at around the time of the crash? You could try and use a small utility like HWInfo to report of these. 

If the problem persists, I would consider doing a fresh install of Windows although doing this on branded laptops can be difficult due to proprietary hardware not having drivers during the initial Windows installation process. While I'm not the biggest fan of this, you could do a Windows repair OR if Asus provided you with a recovery process then use that to put your Laptop back to factory fresh. Don't worry, you can usually save your files during these processes but its always good to make sure your important documents are backed up somewhere.

Keep us posted.

It's not a new one, but certainly not old. It's about 2 years old now, an Asus ROG STRIX G15 2021 (though bought at 2022). It has a Ryzen 7 5800H, RTX 3050Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz with a Windows 11 64 bit (it has been re-installed but it was to solve another issue 2 years ago)

As for the BSOD itself, it restarted too quickly for me to capture it on cam but it happened right after a game of Valorant. Valorant has been causing a few issues, 1 in every 7 times, it freezes not just itself but the entire computer; though I can still hit ctrl alt delete to restart the pc. So I suspect that it might be Val but I also updated my Nvidia drivers after the BSOD so maybe a driver issue? I also ran Asus' BSOD diagnostic tool, it found nothing (I don't think it's very effective tbh). It could be something mondane but I'd like to make sure with you guys who probably have more experience.

Thanks in advance

Try a different game.

Had a BSOD last year playing Black Desert, stopped playing Black Desert - stopped getting BSOD 🙂

8 minutes ago, Caveman0407 said:

Thanks in advance

Hi buddy,

A BSOD every so often isn't out of the norms for PCs. A BSOD every day or even every week might mean there's something more sinister going on.

First things first - Don't pay any attention to diagnostic tools from the likes of Asus, they're nigh on useless.

Have you looked the Windows Event Viewer to see what is being reported at the time of the crash?

Search for 'Event Viewer' then navigate to Windows Logs > System and then scroll down to the time the last crash occurred. There will be loads of gobbledygook to sift through but you might want spot something that sheds a bit of light on the issue. You might want to look at Windows Logs > Application and see if anything useful is being reported.

If its a graphics card / driver issue then the chances are the error will be reported in Windows Logs > System and if its a software / Valorant issue then you will probably find the error log in Windows Logs > Application.

If you suspect its a driver problem then use a tool called DDU to remove all traces of the existing driver and then reinstall.

What are you temps like? Does the laptop feel like its overheating at around the time of the crash? You could try and use a small utility like HWInfo to report of these. 

If the problem persists, I would consider doing a fresh install of Windows although doing this on branded laptops can be difficult due to proprietary hardware not having drivers during the initial Windows installation process. While I'm not the biggest fan of this, you could do a Windows repair OR if Asus provided you with a recovery process then use that to put your Laptop back to factory fresh. Don't worry, you can usually save your files during these processes but its always good to make sure your important documents are backed up somewhere.

Keep us posted.

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

34 minutes ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Hi buddy,

Keep us posted.

After doing a little digging, I did found the instance where the game crashed the entire computer, causing it to shut down, and the BSOD. It's reported by Kernel-Power. I don't know if it is the driver, Val, or just a rouge positron flipping a 1 to a 0 in my ram, but I do think Val is the likely culprit since it has done this behaviour before. Anyways, I just re-installed the thing. Hopefully it works just fine now

Try disconnect the battery.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

13 minutes ago, Caveman0407 said:

After doing a little digging, I did found the instance where the game crashed the entire computer, causing it to shut down, and the BSOD. It's reported by Kernel-Power. I don't know if it is the driver, Val, or just a rouge positron flipping a 1 to a 0 in my ram, but I do think Val is the likely culprit since it has done this behaviour before. Anyways, I just re-installed the thing. Hopefully it works just fine now

Hi buddy,

The Kernel Power error while not ideal is a perfectly normal error report detailing the recent shutdown. You might also see a few 'Critical' events relating to the unexpected shutdown and not the actual cause of the crash.

Do you see anything like 'nvlddmkm has stopped responding........' This would be a proper error reporting your display driver has $hat the bed.

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and check if you have any minidump files. If you do, go back to the Windows folder and copy the Minidump folder itself to the Downloads folder (You can use the desktop if you don't have OneDrive syncing files). Zip the copied folder and attach it to a post. Please follow the instructions to the letter as Windows doesn't like you messing with files in this location.

16 hours ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Hi buddy,

The Kernel Power error while not ideal is a perfectly normal error report detailing the recent shutdown. You might also see a few 'Critical' events relating to the unexpected shutdown and not the actual cause of the crash.

Do you see anything like 'nvlddmkm has stopped responding........' This would be a proper error reporting your display driver has $hat the bed.

I didn't see any. However, I remembered that Vanguard, the anti-cheat, also goes through the kernel to find if I have hacks. It could be that Vanguard got corrupted in the update and accidentally causing a bsod. (Or is Kernel Power and the kernel different?) Anyways, I'll see if I still run into the freezing issue again after the re-install

8 hours ago, Caveman0407 said:

I didn't see any. However, I remembered that Vanguard, the anti-cheat, also goes through the kernel to find if I have hacks. It could be that Vanguard got corrupted in the update and accidentally causing a bsod. (Or is Kernel Power and the kernel different?) Anyways, I'll see if I still run into the freezing issue again after the re-install

Kernel Power Event ID 41 just means that Windows shut down without using the "Shut Down" button. You get this from any freeze, crash or power loss. Unless you didn't know that the machine shut down/restarted, it has no diagnostic value.