CasaOS using Ubuntu Server

Hi there!

Does anyone know how to resize their LV storage on a Ubuntu server? I think when I was setting mine up and messed something up!!! 

Not really sure if this is even the right place to put this, but I thought I would put out a question and see if I could get some help. To give some context it’s my first time using Ubuntu Server and CasaOS. for the past week I’ve been trying to create a home server with jellyfin. This video that showed how I could use the OS with jelly and rip all of my 4K Blu-ray to a cheap computer that I had laying around! I downloaded and set up Ubuntu server and created a LVM group with my 8TB HDD. Unfortunately, by accident the tutorial on YouTube that I was following I neglected to alter the LV to use the maximum amount of storage.

so now when I look at my server, I see a boot storage which holds 1.6 gigs, another storage which holds one gig. I guess there were two partitions made for storage. But then when I look at my drive, I see it say SDA and says system, 7.28TBHDD. I’m kind of worried, because I didn’t want to have a mistake early on when I was doing this. But I wanted to make sure that I could have as much of the 8TBHDD to use for my movies as possible. 

Is anyone familiar with this, or would be able to help me either reconfigure my LV? Lol, or if this is a non-issue then I would love to hear that too NGL!

IMG_1832.jpeg

IMG_1831.jpeg

IMG_1830.jpeg

IMG_1829.jpeg

Last time I played with CasaOS the interface was not great, so I'd probably use something like unraid or Truenas that been much more tested.

For the first question, you should be able to use pvresize /dev/sda3 to make the pv bigger. Then you can expand the logical volume with lvresize to make it fill the now bigger lvm disk group.

27 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Last time I played with CasaOS the interface was not great, so I'd probably use something like unraid or Truenas that been much more tested.

For the first question, you should be able to use pvresize /dev/sda3 to make the pv bigger. Then you can expand the logical volume with lvresize to make it fill the now bigger lvm disk group.

Thanks Electronics. Maybe I’ll download TrueNAS Scale and see if that works better since CasaOS is giving me problems. I tried reformatting to no avail regrettably 😓

😅 had some trouble finding a really good tunes video that didn’t require me to spend more money on the office computer. I already had lying around. But I managed to reconfigure my CasaOS, which is now reading before 8TBHDD!! I just started installing jelly, so hopefully everything goes smoothly from here. Though if anyone is willing to answer, I do have a few questions. I like to ask when it comes to handling a movie server. And I haven’t truly seen a video that covers questions like these, so any experience or insight would be extremely helpful!

1. Since I had to set up this old office computer with a monitor at the beginning, it’s currently at my desk and not where I would want to locate it in my home. If I wanted to move my now, movie server, is it as simple as just powering the computer down, moving it, And then turning it on again ?

2. Does anybody have really good references on the best practices for jellyfin? I’ve seen seen a whole bunch of videos that can sometimes gloss over what it looks like to configure jelly for the best results and also if there’s any specific way that inserting a new RIP of a movie or show. For example, I’m not sure if I need to specifically name the For the movie or TV show the software can easily pick it up. I’m not doing any transcoding or anything, I am kind of just starting off very simple. But maybe for the future. 

3. I know I have seen a couple videos with others using VLC, as well as the “ MKV” program when it comes to ripping a movie. My assumption is that my current disc drive will have to be used to insert the disk, and then utilizing those programs to correctly format? Is this correct? Though, there are some movie and TV show files that are currently in my home computer. However, those movies and TV shows shows are a, simple MP4. Will those still work for this set up? 

4. Possibly the simplest question to answer, and apologies if this is too simple. But now that I have successfully added jellyfin onto CasaOS, and made an account, how would I go about ensuring that I can get my library on other devices? When trying to use my phone it states that I need a server address. Would this not be the address that I use when logging into CasaOS?? or is there a different server address that Jellyfin gives me once I create an account account?

8 minutes ago, St3althPatchn said:

had some trouble finding a really good tunes video that didn’t require me to spend more money on the office computer

Why would you need to spend money on it? If it’s a running computer, it will run TrueNAS…

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1. Yes, it can work as a headless server as long as you wish.
  2. There are two major concerns in use of Jellyfin: hardware transcoding, and media arrangement. You may wish to utilize a compatible GPU, integrated or discrete, for transcoding, and rename the ripped media manually for Jellyfin to recognize better. For example, a movie can be recognized with the file name Movie's Title (Year), e.g. Dune (2021).
  3. An optical disc drive would always be required to rip contents from discs. The real concern here is the choice of software: players like VLC are intended for playback, while mixers like MKVToolNix are intended for repacking the media to a single file. The other media already stored in computer can be treated as above.
  4. First, make sure that the port 8096 from Jellyfin's container has been mapped to the same port on host (since the apps on CasaOS act like Docker containers). Then, provide the server's IP address & port to Jellyfin clients, and sign in. Your preferences and playback history should be synced across all clients using the same account.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:41 AM, LIGISTX said:

Why would you need to spend money on it? If it’s a running computer, it will run TrueNAS…

A lot of the videos that I looked at highlighted I would need a m.2 ssd in addition to my hdd in my pc. But I don’t have one readily available. 

The PC that I’m using does have an optical disk, but I also do have some spare from my parents. would I need to make sure that either of those software programs are downloaded onto casaOS? 

I do appreciate the info of renaming the files! I have an external hard drive that used to hold a lot of MP4 files of movies. So II do appreciate the info of renaming the files! I have a external hard drive that used to hold a lot of MP4 files of movies. So I guess a follow-up question to that,  if I renamed all of the movies on my external hard drive, and then move them into a Movies folder that I made on jellyfin, would it be able to recognize those MP4 files of Movies? We have a family friend that sometimes would give us MP4 files of movies. But I have never actually gone through the process of having to RIP a DVD or Blu-ray. 

In addition to this would I be able to access my jellyfin outside of the house? 

Sorry, I’m asking so many questions questions! I’ve never done this before, but I appreciate the help and knowledge. 

3 hours ago, St3althPatchn said:

A lot of the videos that I looked at highlighted I would need a m.2 ssd in addition to my hdd in my pc. But I don’t have one readily available. 

You don't need an M.2, you just need a boot device. Any random SSD or harddrive you have laying around will work fine. Or technically so would a flash drive, but its not really recomended.

But if you don't have those, and you really are only using 1 drive anyways, mayeb truenas isn't really for you - its more intended for large arrays of disks.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

12 hours ago, St3althPatchn said:

So I guess a follow-up question to that,  if I renamed all of the movies on my external hard drive, and then move them into a Movies folder that I made on jellyfin, would it be able to recognize those MP4 files of Movies?

Yes, with proper naming scheme, Jellyfin would be glad to recognize them. This documentation can also be referred to for handling file/folder names.

12 hours ago, St3althPatchn said:

In addition to this would I be able to access my jellyfin outside of the house? 

Two options available:

1. A public IP address provided by ISP, and a domain name pointed to this IP. A Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service may be established in case of frequently changed IP.
  2. A VPN or Tunnel, with or without a public server as the exit node, in case of unavailability of a public IP address.

OMG thank you so much! I tried using one file for a show and it was able to appear with downloading the poster for the show and everything!! This is great. 

It looks like I’ve been seeing online that for people that would want to access their server outside of their home they plug in an address into the jellyfin app on their phone like: “192.168…. Etc. When I entered in ‘ipa’ into the terminal, I got the server to show me: 

IPv4 address for docker0: 172…

IPv4 address for enp2s0: 10.0……

Why isn’t my addresses starting with 192, and will either of these allow me to be able to use the jellyfin outside the house?!?