CM3588 solution with case

Hi, first post.

The LTT video a while ago got me in the mood to not spend 500+€ on a complete NAS solution. This just runs OMV with no streaming plugins.

So here it is, I‘m just waiting for the 80mm fan to arrive, because temps are definitely an issue and leaving it just passively cooled is not a good long term idea.

The idea:

Basic NAS case, connect drives as you want via separate enclosure or just use it as standard with m.2 drives.

Swappable PicoPSU to power 2.5“ or 3.5“ drives and the fan.

Fan is controlled by a pot (in a very hacky and not so nice way, but it works) to run at 60-70% for almost complete silence.

The m.2 to SATA adapters work fine, though I had issues getting 5 on the same extension to work. 16 drives seems perfectly possible.

The reason for only 3 access covers is that I‘ll always keep one m.2 drive in there in case I can figure out caching some day.

I can add a 4th if someone wants to print this.

I haven‘t uploaded the files anywhere yet, might attach them to this post later. I need to adjust the ATX 20pin cutout a bit, doesn‘t quite fit yet.

Cheers

Case.png

IMG_4184.jpeg

IMG_4183.jpeg

Consider a PicoPSU unit: plugs directly into a 20/24pin PSU connector, has limited external power connectivity otherwise (mostly just 1 SATA and/or 1 Molex) but only takes a small hole for the DC-barrel jack for a laptop power brick. Comes in a range of power sizes, from 90 to 200W output.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

33 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Consider a PicoPSU unit: plugs directly into a 20/24pin PSU connector, has limited external power connectivity otherwise (mostly just 1 SATA and/or 1 Molex) but only takes a small hole for the DC-barrel jack for a laptop power brick. Comes in a range of power sizes, from 90 to 200W output.

Guess what‘s in there already haha

9 hours ago, ActuallyPenny said:

Guess what‘s in there already haha

Why do you have it poking out of the case?

Is this a 3D printed case, if so where do you get the files for it looking to house my baord when it come, can alter this to suit what i need. Thanks 

Where do you have the fan powered from, I tried from the obvious fan connect with no luck?

Really interesting, can you share the files?

Thanks!

On 4/15/2024 at 10:42 PM, ActuallyPenny said:

IMG_4183.jpeg

Can't help feeling it kinda defeats the object of a SFF case if you have a ton of SATA ports that need to route outside of the case.

Why not just design the case to hold the drives too?  Or use smaller fans pulling in from the back so it can be stackable.

Not that I'm not impressed, I don't think I'd stand a chance designing anything for 3D printing.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7