Can this morherboard handle a 13600k/14600k?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
12 minutes ago, Blind X said:

As you can see the motherboard I mentioned, Gigabyte B760 DS3H AX is listed on this page and costs PKR 40,500/-. So this is the price segment we are looking for. Its between 35k-45k. If you find something better for a bit more thats fine, but I will certainly not like to touch 50k price for a motherboard.

Alright, the couple of boards I found that were better in the price point were out of stock. The B760 DS3H is probably your best pick here. If you can score a B660M Gaming X for that price point that would be the best, but since it's out of stock that's probably not an option. 

If the VRM does start to get too hot, get a 40mm fan and zip tie it to the VRM heat sink, that fixes most overheating issues.

So I am planning on byuing the Gigabyte B760 DS3H AX DDR4 motherboard (the full size b760 atx and not the b760m which has a 6+2+1 vrm compared to the b760's 8+2+1) for my next build and will currently be pairing it with an i3. I do plan on upgrading the processor in the future to an i5 13600k or 14600k as there are no 13600/14600 (non K) processors available in my region and also because Adobe application suite benefits from higher clockspeeds on the K series processors. Here we only have to mostly choose from a 13600K/KF or a 13400F

I don't plan on doing any overclocking with the cpus but only want them to constantly boost to their rated 5ghz+ clocks in games or even in all core wokloads such as rendering without having to worry about extremely hot VRMs or CPU throttling just because the morherboard's power delivery isn't capable enough.

The K series i5s have a max TDP of 180W when not overclocked. So will the B760 DS3H AX DDR4 be able to handle i5 13600k without any throttling or super hot vrm situation?

I am not considering a z690/z790 only because firstly I don't plan to overclock (just xmp) and secondly even the cheapest cheapest ones I can find here in my region have a huge price difference of $80 which is a lot here and they don't even have Wifi/BT etc.

It's probably OK, but there are likely better boards you can find. The B760M PG Riptide is my go-to pick, though there are a lot of others as well. 

Where are you shopping for boards? 

35 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's probably OK, but there are likely better boards you can find. The B760M PG Riptide is my go-to pick, though there are a lot of others as well. 

Where are you shopping for boards? 

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately here, I don't have a lot of options to choose from. This is the best vrm (8+2+1 phase) I can find here. Anything in this price segment has a worse vrm i.e, mostly 6+2+1.

The next board I can find that has a 14 phase vrm (12+1+1) is the Asus tuf b760m gaming d4 and it costs $50 more with no wifi.

Now please correct me if I am wrong for judging a motherboard's power delivery capabilities just by looking at the vrm phase count and if there's anything more to it than that.

If wrong I will mention a few other options available with fewer phase vrms for the same price if they are somehow more capable in handling the i5 k series chips.

I am situated in Pakistan btw.

5 minutes ago, Blind X said:

Now please correct me if I am wrong for judging a motherboard's power delivery capabilities just by looking at the vrm phase count and if there's anything more to it than that.

It's an indicator, but it's not the whole story. There are a number of other aspects to it, to the point where you can have a 4 phase be great and a 16 phase be terrible. The best VRM on LGA 1700, the Z690/Z790 Apex (Encore) (they all have the same VRM), is technically an 8 phase VCore. Some of the factors for this are the VRM components and the heat sink design, though there are others like what kind of inductors are used, the motherboard's PCB, and the VRM tuning itself. 

Another thing to mention is that the phase count is less important than the power stage number, which is correlated to but not the same as phase count. The aforementioned Apex may be an 8 phase, but it has 24 power stages in its VCore VRM. A lot of the boards will advertise the power stage count as the phase count, even though that's technically wrong, so in practice this isn't something you need to worry that much about, but just figured I'd point it out. More power stages give more surface area for heat to dissipate from and have less current going through each power stage improving the efficiency, while more phases helps improve voltage regulation, though it does have diminishing returns past 8 phases in that regard (you only really need more than 8 phases if you're doing it for efficiency and not planning on doubling/tripling up phases). 

31 minutes ago, Blind X said:

has a 14 phase vrm (12+1+1)

Just want to point out that when people refer to phase count, they're almost always referring to the VCore phase count as that's the only part that actually matters, and that number is just the first in that list of phases, so that VRM would be referred to as a 12 phase. 

39 minutes ago, Blind X said:

I am situated in Pakistan btw.

What shop specifically are you shopping at if they have an online store I can look through. 

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's an indicator, but it's not the whole story. There are a number of other aspects to it, to the point where you can have a 4 phase be great and a 16 phase be terrible. The best VRM on LGA 1700, the Z690/Z790 Apex (Encore) (they all have the same VRM), is technically an 8 phase VCore. Some of the factors for this are the VRM components and the heat sink design, though there are others like what kind of inductors are used, the motherboard's PCB, and the VRM tuning itself. 

Another thing to mention is that the phase count is less important than the power stage number, which is correlated to but not the same as phase count. The aforementioned Apex may be an 8 phase, but it has 24 power stages in its VCore VRM. A lot of the boards will advertise the power stage count as the phase count, even though that's technically wrong, so in practice this isn't something you need to worry that much about, but just figured I'd point it out. More power stages give more surface area for heat to dissipate from and have less current going through each power stage improving the efficiency, while more phases helps improve voltage regulation, though it does have diminishing returns past 8 phases in that regard (you only really need more than 8 phases if you're doing it for efficiency and not planning on doubling/tripling up phases). 

Thanks so much for the detailed info. I will try to gain a deeper understanding of it. Seems like I really need to learn a lot about this stuff xD

19 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What shop specifically are you shopping at if they have an online store I can look through. 

Thanks man that would be great 😄

https://www.gtstore.pk/category/motherboards.html?page=5&sort=

This is the link to the site from where I am shopping.

As you can see the motherboard I mentioned, Gigabyte B760 DS3H AX is listed on this page and costs PKR 40,500/-. So this is the price segment we are looking for. Its between 35k-45k. If you find something better for a bit more thats fine, but I will certainly not like to touch 50k price for a motherboard.

Also you will need to open the individual product page to check if that motherboard is in stock. The site has a lot of motherboards still listed with old pricings and are mostly out of stock.

12 minutes ago, Blind X said:

Alright, the couple of boards I found that were better in the price point were out of stock. The B760 DS3H is probably your best pick here. If you can score a B660M Gaming X for that price point that would be the best, but since it's out of stock that's probably not an option. 

If the VRM does start to get too hot, get a 40mm fan and zip tie it to the VRM heat sink, that fixes most overheating issues.

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I really appreciate you for looking into it.

The i3 won't be an issue for this board for now. Guess we will have to wait to see how well this holds up with a 14th gen i5.