I have several questions about my AIO

Go to solution Solved by Robchil,
7 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

Thank you for these information!

It might be nice to plug it in down there but the cable doesn't go there from the back and I'm not sure from the front but even if it did it would be ugly.

A cable splitter would be fine.

But I don't know what it would work with, brand matter ?

I was also thinking about a fan controller. I heard that would be good too.

Would it work with the NZXT Grid+V3 ?

a cable splitter will have 2 or more cables for 4 pin PWM connectors, 1 will deliver rpm signal the rest will just take the power it gets.. 

a PWM 2 or 3 port splitter is a standard you can get any that says PWM splitter 😄

you can get pwm extenders too.. or just a splitter with longer cables. .

more than 3 fans i would put on a PWM hub.. and get power directly from the PSU. 

I bought a 2 year old NZXT Kraken X63 for under $50.

My main problem is that I can't control the bottom fan.
In the NZXT CAM, it doesn't even adjust the top fan, they don't spin the way they are set there. In BIOS and Fan Control I can control the top fan, cannot the bottom fan.
I have no idea how to fix it, the two fans on the motherboard are wired there:

Is it normal with this cooler and a Ryzen 5 5600x to be above 30 degrees at idle and above 60 degrees after booting ? Even PBO2 is enabled at -19.
Otherwise I have a Corsair 220T RGB case.
During installation a screw broke, could this be a problem ? (so 3 screws hold it)

This is not very AIO related but is it normal to boost to 4.6 GHz at idle ? (Not all the time but 60% of the time)

Thanks if you can help with any of these!

803CCAEB-848C-416A-A24C-B107B9575134.png

10 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

My main problem is that I can't control the bottom fan.

Might be faulty if it's a used AIO

above 30 degrees at idle and above 60 degrees after booting

Yes, those are within reason

Otherwise I have a Corsair 220T RGB case.

Guessing youre front mounting? I have this case and an aio is very hard to fit on top

11 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

During installation a screw broke, could this be a problem ? (so 3 screws hold it)

Not ideal, but as long as it doesn't thermal throttle then that is acceptable

11 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

This is not very AIO related but is it normal to boost to 4.6 GHz at idle ?

Yeah, your CPU will sort itself out depending on background tasks

How have you connected the fans? They should just connect to a fan header on the board with a splitter.

Then the rgb goes to the rgb hub of the aio.

13 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

For the block? This will cause poor contact and unstable temps. Best to find a replacement screw.

You're going to have to describe how the fans and pump are wired (where). So are you saying both AIO fans are plugged into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT individually? CAM is only going to talk to fans connected to an NZXT controller, and Fan Control will only talk to fans connected to the motherboard. Most of the time, CPU_OPT is slaved to CPU_FAN so adjustments to CPU_FAN affect both. 

Where is the pump plugged in?

13 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Might be faulty if it's a used AIO

Sadly probably

13 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Guessing youre front mounting? I have this case and an aio is very hard to fit on top

Yes, otherwise it would not fit on top because it is the 280 mm version. I'm not the only one with this case because it looks very good 😄 

35 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

will sort itself out depending on background tasks

Okay good to know

39 minutes ago, jaslion said:

How have you connected the fans? They should just connect to a fan header on the board with a splitter.

Then the rgb goes to the rgb hub of the aio.

It is not the RGB version 

The fans has no RGB so I think this one dosen't have

Also I've included a picture of where I connected it

39 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For the block? This will cause poor contact and unstable temps. Best to find a replacement screw.

Yes on the block. Oh then probably this is the reason cooler isn't that good as I expected. 

Can I find a original screw somewhere ?

I don't know their names but yes they are wired separately up there in 2 adjacent header. There is no issue with the pump but it it connected to the AIO_PUMP.

This is weird because Fan Control doesn't show the bottom fan for some reason. Btw I didn't know that I need a NZXT controller for CAM thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Most of the time, CPU_OPT is slaved to CPU_FAN so adjustments to CPU_FAN affect both. 

That doesn't seem to be the case because if I turn up the top fan to max speed in Fan Control, the bottom fan won't change.

3 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

That doesn't seem to be the case because if I turn up the top fan to max speed in Fan Control, the bottom fan won't change.

Why not just use a splitter and one header?

37 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Why not just use a splitter and one header?

I was told the same thing on another site and it seems to be a good solution only the cooler doesn't come with a splitter.

Should I buy separately ?

at the bottom of your mainboard i see 2 fan headers. if you don't want to get a splitter please use those 2 for your fans. 

CPU_fan headers runs on the CPU temp and will increase and decrease fan speeds pretty much all the time.  with chassis fan headers you can set a curve, or add a temp probe you can connect to the temp header down there to run them after. and stick the temp probe in your radiator. 

the CPU_optional fan header is usually used for secondary air cooler fan, or VRM fan, a 4x4cm DC fan. 

when you do custom watercooling or AIO it's generaly to get a quieter system. so the fan curve should go after the AIO water temp. but closest you come is sticking a probe in your radiator usually.  in a custom loop you get inline temp sensors.  some AIO's have started coming with temp sensor too tho. inside the cold plate. 

14 minutes ago, Robchil said:

at the bottom of your mainboard i see 2 fan headers. if you don't want to get a splitter please use those 2 for your fans. 

CPU_fan headers runs on the CPU temp and will increase and decrease fan speeds pretty much all the time.  with chassis fan headers you can set a curve, or add a temp probe you can connect to the temp header down there to run them after. and stick the temp probe in your radiator. 

the CPU_optional fan header is usually used for secondary air cooler fan, or VRM fan, a 4x4cm DC fan. 

when you do custom watercooling or AIO it's generaly to get a quieter system. so the fan curve should go after the AIO water temp. but closest you come is sticking a probe in your radiator usually.  in a custom loop you get inline temp sensors.  some AIO's have started coming with temp sensor too tho. inside the cold plate. 

It might be nice to plug it in down there but the cable doesn't go there from the back and I'm not sure from the front but even if it did it would be ugly.

7 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

a cable splitter will have 2 or more cables for 4 pin PWM connectors, 1 will deliver rpm signal the rest will just take the power it gets.. 

a PWM 2 or 3 port splitter is a standard you can get any that says PWM splitter 😄

you can get pwm extenders too.. or just a splitter with longer cables. .

more than 3 fans i would put on a PWM hub.. and get power directly from the PSU. 

2 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Oh I just need for 2 fans. I'll look up for some splitters

@Robchil Wait I have 2 more questions 😄 

1. A fan controller is better than a splitter or no difference ?

2. I could connect not only the radiator fans (2 NZXT Aer P 140 mm) even the case fans ? (3 Corsair SP120 RGB PRO)

I forgot to mention witch fan controller, the NZXT Grid+V3

The Corsair fans are rgb but has 2 cables, one for the rgb

2 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

@Robchil Wait I have 2 more questions 😄 

1. A fan controller is better than a splitter or no difference ?

2. I could connect not only the radiator fans (2 NZXT Aer P 140 mm) even the case fans ? (3 Corsair SP120 RGB PRO)

1. it depends.. the difference is you can connect usually up to 10 fans, and get power directly from the PSU, it's still only 1 fan that will deliver pwm signal to a chassis fan port. 

2 you can, they will spin with different RPM tho, as it will deliver power on the RPM signal from on port 1 on the controller/hub, think it of giving power from 0 to 100%. 

one fan is running from 500 to 1900 rpm, another fan 140 will run slower like 300-1200 rpm ... other fans goes up to 3000rpm or more.. giving 50% power signal would make them run at 950, 600 and 1500 rpm respectivly. 

so it's more normal to get a splitter for 2-3 fans that are same model, or atleast same speeds. and another splitter for the 140mm fans as they will run slower, and put them on a different fan header.  if you go into the rabbit hole of fans... some comes with a controller and can connect 16 or more fans... still getting signal from 1 fan header. and as with mine.. draw power from 2 sata power connectors 😄

having more than 3 fans on a header will over time burn the header out ruining it.. depending on the ampere limit on the port, pump/aio headers delivers more. 

15 minutes ago, Robchil said:

1. it depends.. the difference is you can connect usually up to 10 fans, and get power directly from the PSU, it's still only 1 fan that will deliver pwm signal to a chassis fan port. 

2 you can, they will spin with different RPM tho, as it will deliver power on the RPM signal from on port 1 on the controller/hub, think it of giving power from 0 to 100%. 

one fan is running from 500 to 1900 rpm, another fan 140 will run slower like 300-1200 rpm ... other fans goes up to 3000rpm or more.. giving 50% power signal would make them run at 950, 600 and 1500 rpm respectivly. 

so it's more normal to get a splitter for 2-3 fans that are same model, or atleast same speeds. and another splitter for the 140mm fans as they will run slower, and put them on a different fan header.  if you go into the rabbit hole of fans... some comes with a controller and can connect 16 or more fans... still getting signal from 1 fan header. and as with mine.. draw power from 2 sata power connectors 😄

having more than 3 fans on a header will over time burn the header out ruining it.. depending on the ampere limit on the port, pump/aio headers delivers more. 

I understand and thank you, you helped me a lot because I didn't know anything about this subject 😆 but I can tell you are very good at it!

The reason I want more fan controller is because with that if I'm right I should able to controll it in CAM

I found a used NZXT Grid+V3 for 8 dollar, it is worth buying used ?

9 minutes ago, Patrik Martin said:

I understand and thank you, you helped me a lot because I didn't know anything about this subject 😆 but I can tell you are very good at it!

The reason I want more fan controller is because with that if I'm right I should able to controll it in CAM

I found a used NZXT Grid+V3 for 8 dollar, it is worth buying used ?

msrp is 50$... yeah that would be worth it...  a cheap 10 pin pwm hub cost about the same.. altho it might come with gank software and for some reason it wasn't worth it to seller. 

with a cheap 10 pin hub you use mainboard vendors software. or fancontrol to control the fans.