Building a pc but m.2 heatsink

Hey guys,

I am building a pc, but when I am trying to install the m.2 SSD the screw that came with the movie won't fit. I got a Samsung m.2 with included heat sink but when trying to install on the mobo the screw that came with the mobo won't allow me to mount the ssd. Then because of the size it won't let me put the mobo heat sink back on.

What can I do lol

20240412_103328.jpg

20240412_103324.jpg

20240412_103756.jpg

i think theres only 2 options, remove the heatsink off the ssd and use the one on the board, or leave the one on the board off...

2 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

the screw that came with the movie won't fit

I am guessing it won't reach because the SSD is too thick. Not to worry, put the heat sink away in your spares box and you only need to use the heat sink that's already on the Samsung SSD. If you later on decide to buy an SSD with no heat sink and want to put it there, you could put the heat sink on that SSD instead.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

i think theres only 2 options, remove the heatsink off the ssd and use the one on the board, or leave the one on the board off...

Yeah that was I was thinking but the screw doesn't fit because of the ssd heatsink so I can't properly mount the ssd

5 minutes ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

that's weird, i've never encountered that before

The screw is small and the plastic on it would be fine with a ssd without a heatsink but with a heatsink it can't get into to secure it. There are no other screws that are large enough

i see what your saying tho, that space is quite narrow, wonder why samsung did it like that?

9 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Yeah that was I was thinking but the screw doesn't fit because of the ssd heatsink so I can't properly mount the ssd

if you're trying to install the samsung SSD without the heat sink that came with the motherboard, you will need a smaller screw
21vrABFHVsL._SY445_SX342_QL70_FMwebp_.webp.4ffd8d77e897dcbcf111766a2d6f06c8.webp

They're quite small. you can probably find it in a small plastic bag that came with your motherboard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, BentleyOwen123 said:

i see what your saying tho, that space is quite narrow, wonder why samsung did it like that?

No idea lol. If i remove the samsung ssd heatsink i basically just spent the extra on nothing lol

yup, try tightening as hard as you can just to get the bitch on there haha, you don't need to tighten it all the way necessarily

Just now, Fasauceome said:

if you're trying to install the samsung SSD without the heat sink that came with the motherboard, you will need a smaller screw
21vrABFHVsL._SY445_SX342_QL70_FMwebp_.webp.4ffd8d77e897dcbcf111766a2d6f06c8.webp

They're quite small

There is no other small screw included on the mob. I assume all the other m.2 slots will use the same screw

Just now, Charmeleonnz said:

There is no other small screw included on the mob. I assume all the other m.2 slots will use the same screw

What specific motherboard did you get? All motherboards with an M.2 slot ought to include an M.2 screw

Primary PC:

Just now, BentleyOwen123 said:

thats good lol

What a pain. I am building this for my dad and he was like might as well pay the extra and get the heatsink. Kinda forgot that the mobo would have it. Next m.2 definitely won't have one. Why do the bother making one with a heatsink if most mobos have them. thank you 🙂

1 minute ago, Charmeleonnz said:

I managed to wedge the small plastic bit on the screw into the right side of the m.2 and its holding.

If the screw that is in there right now has the proper threading for that screw hole, looks like you are set up properly for this.

Having a hard time finding an unboxing video that showcases the exact screws that come with this board, but I doubt they would have two different types of screws that fit in the same hole so I think you have the exact one you need.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

If the screw that is in there right now has the proper threading for that screw hole, looks like you are set up properly for this.

Having a hard time finding an unboxing video that showcases the exact screws that come with this board, but I doubt they would have two different types of screws that fit in the same hole so I think you have the exact one you need.

I assume the way I have it now is the correct way with a heatsink. But it only came with one size. The issue i found was trying to secure it when  the plastic won't go into  the m.2 as you screw it turns left but I needed to push the plastic right for it to securely mount.

oh its the spinning thing, try unscrewing it all the way, and take off the plastic and screw it back on idk

48 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Why do the bother making one with a heatsink if most mobos have them

Lower-end mobos, or ones with more than usual M2 slots, don't have heatsinks on all of them.

One ought to consider drive placement when buying parts. Consider it a learning experience for future projects I guess?