Computer just crash and reboot randomly, no warning, no blue screen, nothing.

geost77
Go to solution Solved by geost77,
On 4/14/2024 at 7:23 PM, geost77 said:

I jsut finished cleaning PC. This time I had all cables removed so I can pull out PSU and check how dirty it is. Well, it had lot of fine dust, but way less than I expected. And I saw no hair at all, looks that mesh filter works well and let only finest dust. I had dust blown from PSU as much I can. PC now running and will be left on as usual and we will see if next 10-30 days no crash.

Two weeks - no crashes. I guess cleaning all dirt from PSU possibly fixed it. I guess it is true sometimes dirt/hair may cause static electricity or power jump between PSU components and cause restart. Even it was not as much I expected and I saw no dog hair inside. But I did blow as much I can and returned PSU back. As I did no other "fixes" this should be what fixed it. All else I did was stress tests to see no errors at CPU, RAM etc.

I have this computer for few years (4 i think), many parts are still under warranty like PSU have 10years warranty. Computer was working perfectly fine so far. But last 1+ month is started acting strange.

Sometimes it just reboot. Screen go black and I see instant booting from start. No BSOD, no error of any kind, nothing. This happened like 4-5 times last 1+ month. Computer is usually always on, or on for 4-10 days, then reboot or off for 2-3 hours and back on.

This random instant reboot happen without some specific reason. Last 2 times it happen while I was gaming, but I also had it once reboot while I was at Firefox and 1-2 times I was in bed, doing nothing at PC, it was idle and I saw how monitors went black and it rebooted.

Temps aer looking fine, when gaming. Drivers are latest, updates are on/auto.

I also have an UPS, so power must not be an issue (it had no issued with reboots even before UPS). 

My system:
Windows 10 22H2 Build 19045.4291

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x 
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 2x16GB (lifetime warranty)
GPU: AMD RX 6700 XT
PSU: Corsair RM750x (warranty) + UPS
SSD: Boot m.2 NVMe Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + 2x SATA SSD for data
MB: B450 Tomahawk

Let me know if you need anything else.

Is there a way if any logs can be cheched for this crash at Windows? As it reboots instantly, I don't know if Windows is able to save any logs for that crash or not. where to look if any?

I have no spare parts to replace and test if that fix problem. Also it is not happen daily, most of the time computer run 4-5 days or even 10 without turn it off or reboot and it then crash and reboot alone. I think just once it crashed in matter of 3 days in bettween. So even if I apply any "fix" I can't instantly tell if that works or not, as it may take weks before it crash again.

My plan is to stress test CPU ... maybe Cinebench, Prime95 ... Also run RAM test (Memtest64). I think NVME is OK, but if I can test it without destroy data. I try avoid Windows reinstall at all cost, as I have ton of software and settings I then have to re-apply and usually is nightmare first 2 montha after reinstall with something I forgot to setup properly.
PSU should be fine, I don't think ther eis way to test it (software way). It is a good PSU brand and model ...

Advices, suggestions?
Thanks

PS: Memtest64 - passed - no errors / Prime95 is testing last hours - no issues so far.

Well, Prime95 tested for 24 hours - no errors.

Memtest64 - pass - no errors.

Hard Disk Sentinel: show Boot NVME as 83% Helath, 

The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found. 
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s):  #169 Remain Life Percentage

It is recommended to continuously monitor the hard disk status.
Power on: 715 days, Estimated lifetime: 764 days, writes: 16TB

So it is not CPU or RAM issue, doubt to be NVME too.

Any testing of GPU needed? As it crashed not only in game, but also on idle desktop too when GPU had no load.

I was trying to locate any Windows logs, but no idea where to seek them. If any about such crash. I suspect software issue, but no idea how to find what it is, probably Windows problem. No errors screen, no freezing or something, it just turn off instanantly and boots up again.

Also I see nothing strange at case when this happened - fans RGB don't blink, I hear nothing, see nothing.

10 hours ago, geost77 said:

Well, Prime95 tested for 24 hours - no errors.

Memtest64 - pass - no errors.

Hard Disk Sentinel: show Boot NVME as 83% Helath, 

The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found. 
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s):  #169 Remain Life Percentage

It is recommended to continuously monitor the hard disk status.
Power on: 715 days, Estimated lifetime: 764 days, writes: 16TB

So it is not CPU or RAM issue, doubt to be NVME too.

Any testing of GPU needed? As it crashed not only in game, but also on idle desktop too when GPU had no load.

I was trying to locate any Windows logs, but no idea where to seek them. If any about such crash. I suspect software issue, but no idea how to find what it is, probably Windows problem. No errors screen, no freezing or something, it just turn off instanantly and boots up again.

Also I see nothing strange at case when this happened - fans RGB don't blink, I hear nothing, see nothing.

U got  a spare gpu? try using it instead.

You can buy a very cheap gpu for like $5 on ebay btw

Tbh it sounds like a mobo or psu.

Try replacing ur psu from warranty.

Cant think of anything else

Run a gpu stress test

13 hours ago, aren332 said:

U got  a spare gpu? try using it instead.

You can buy a very cheap gpu for like $5 on ebay btw

Tbh it sounds like a mobo or psu.

Try replacing ur psu from warranty.

Cant think of anything else

Run a gpu stress test

Yes, I have a spare GPU. Very weak one ... so I can try test for a week, as can't do a lot with that weak GPU.  But I also think it is MB or PSU or some Windows issue. I wonder if I can just return and replace PSU 6 years later without confirmation it is faulty (just a suspicion). Maybe will call and ask. I hate replacing PSU or MB as all cables and etc, rebuilding PC. 

I still wonder if it can be traced to software/Windows issue with some logs or etc. As this crash never happens short after Pc is turned on, usually happen at least a week or 15-30 days after I turn it on and did not restart or turn off. Like Windows after weeks of use get compromised and crash to reboot.

I had same problem with my pc, it was PSU failure. Got a new psu but same happens, changed nearly everything in the computer and same happened. Then I got a new PSU again and everything worked as normal.

I think its your PSU thats failing

2 minutes ago, StormBreakes said:

I had same problem with my pc, it was PSU failure. Got a new psu but same happens, changed nearly everything in the computer and same happened. Then I got a new PSU again and everything worked as normal.

I think its your PSU thats failing

Then I gues I have to try return and replace it with new one. It is in warranty (7 of 10 years passed). But I doubt they will replace, they will try fix it in warranty, if they locate any issue at all ... I hope they will find the probvlem and fix or even if just replace with new one (if same model still exists).

15 minutes ago, geost77 said:

Then I gues I have to try return and replace it with new one. It is in warranty (7 of 10 years passed). But I doubt they will replace, they will try fix it in warranty, if they locate any issue at all ... I hope they will find the probvlem and fix or even if just replace with new one (if same model still exists).

You can try some PSU stress test and see if that will force your pc to shutdown 

1 hour ago, StormBreakes said:

You can try some PSU stress test and see if that will force your pc to shutdown 

What test I can perform to stress PSU ?

1 hour ago, StormBreakes said:

Try occt

3DMark?

Furmark?

Prime95?

OCCT?

Already used Prime95 for 24 hours. Also furmark for GPU and Furmark + Prime95 together. All fine. but I don't know if they stress PSU.
Also I don't know if PSU fail when stressed, as this mean there is lot of load on it, like CPU and GPU are fully loaded. But I noticed crashed not just when I play games, but when PC is at idle for hours and it just crash and reboot in middle of no load at all, CPU/GPU at idle. 

Not tested with 3DMark (is it still free?) also had but not tested OCCT. Used Heaven benchmark, Cinebench instead to stress GPU/CPU. Of course I can try OCT and possibly 3DMark, but I think stressing CPU/GPU and toghether will not cause any errors or reboot (as none so far did). 24 hours of Furmark + Prime95 were perfectly fine, even temps were normal for my hot room (like about 70-75 C for both CPU and GPU). If i run them for a week or a month - it will probably crash, but I can't afford not to use PC for more than 24 hours. Also it will crash without stress it anyway in about a month if not rebooted or turned off. From what I noticed - it crash only after at least few days withotu turn off/reboot - usually at least 10 days and above. I jsut don't turn off PC ever, it is always on (except when on long vacation). Even when I am ways I keep it on, as I remote login to it via phone or laptop to pull data or work. So crashes after long time on. Did not crash before 9last few years). It started like 4-5 months ago and had like 5-6 crashes in last 3 months.

PS: running OCCT Power stability test now, 1hour. Will update once it's completed.

00:00:00 - Info - Test schedule started at 2024-04-14 13:28:54
00:00:00 - Info - Power - Started (Duration : 01:00:00)
01:00:01 - Info - Power - Test stopped
01:00:01 - Info - Schedule Completed

Run OCCT Power stability test for 1 hour and nothing, all fine. No crash, as I expected. Temps were about CPU 72 C and GPU 80 C (I have custom fan curve for minimum fan noice so case fans were like 500-700 RPM only, except GPU fan and water cooling pump at 100%). Power consumption on wall between PSU and UPS was about 400W (395 - 415W), which for a 750W PSU is perfectly fine ~ 50% load. So not that I push PSU at his max when I use my PC even fully loaded. I rarely load both CPU+GPU to max, usually GPU only ahwn rare gaming. 99% of time computer is like idle (Word, Chrome, VS code etc, little CPU load and no GPU load).

Question: Is it possible to be PSU because of dirt? Like I have a dog, lot of hair. I clean case regulary, but I had no access to check PSU as it pull from bottom and out from back. At bottom case have a mesh, I clean it. I think it will not allow dog hair to get inside PSU, but still ... maybe for 5+ years soem got in, can it cause issues? Maybe I try remove PSU from case, so I can see inside and blow if any dirt/hair?

4 hours ago, geost77 said:

Question: Is it possible to be PSU because of dirt? Like I have a dog, lot of hair. I clean case regulary, but I had no access to check PSU as it pull from bottom and out from back. At bottom case have a mesh, I clean it. I think it will not allow dog hair to get inside PSU, but still ... maybe for 5+ years soem got in, can it cause issues? Maybe I try remove PSU from case, so I can see inside and blow if any dirt/hair?

You should try that. Do you crypto mine on your computere? 

in gaming you Get a verbal voltage/power but crypto you max test the PSU.

8 minutes ago, StormBreakes said:

You should try that. Do you crypto mine on your computere? 

in gaming you Get a verbal voltage/power but crypto you max test the PSU.

No crypto. I just keep PC always on, so I can remote admin to it when I need it from away. Even when at home I keep it on, so when I go to it all is as I left it and instanrtly ready to work or etc. I use for work and some gaming (Age of Empires 2 DE), Doom ...

I jsut finished cleaning PC. This time I had all cables removed so I can pull out PSU and check how dirty it is. Well, it had lot of fine dust, but way less than I expected. And I saw no hair at all, looks that mesh filter works well and let only finest dust. I had dust blown from PSU as much I can. PC now running and will be left on as usual and we will see if next 10-30 days no crash.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:26 AM, geost77 said:

Click start and type view reliability history.

1 hour ago, Skeeen said:

Click start and type view reliability history.

Thanks! This is what I was looking for, as logs... But as expected - there is no log about crash at date/time it happen. Only record in logs that day/time is after crash and computer rebooted: "Windows was not properly shut down". It\s just instant black scren and BIOS system loading text appear, so no freeze, or something give Windows info and time to store any log.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2024 at 7:23 PM, geost77 said:

Two weeks - no crashes. I guess cleaning all dirt from PSU possibly fixed it. I guess it is true sometimes dirt/hair may cause static electricity or power jump between PSU components and cause restart. Even it was not as much I expected and I saw no dog hair inside. But I did blow as much I can and returned PSU back. As I did no other "fixes" this should be what fixed it. All else I did was stress tests to see no errors at CPU, RAM etc.