Blown capacitor on Motherboard?

Hey folks, can anybody confirm the presence of a capacitor on Asus TUF-GAMING B550M-PLUS near the SATA ports, as marked in the images I've attached?

I was facing flaky SATA connection issue on my HDDs (using AMD RAID) and while checking I found a broken capacitor in the cabinet.

I suspect it has been damaged to due to heat (chipset used to report temps of 55+ sometimes, added new fans).

This is a ~3y old build: Ryzen 5800X, Cooler Master N400 (cabinet is old, reused from previous i5 build), 64 GB Corsair 3000 Mhz RAM (16x4), 4 HDD, 1 ODD, 1 NVME.

Currently SATA is working fine, but if the capacitor was causing issues then SATA problems can reappear any time.

20240408_064140.jpg

20240408_064442 - frame at 0m0s.jpg

thats not a blown capacitor its literally missing

also thats not the m version of the board as the m version has a smaller chipset heatsink and different sata port layout

i have no clue what youd do here other than find another capacitor to solder on or just bridge those 2 remains of the capacitor and see if it works

I'd recommend to either leave it as is or solder on a new capacitor. You'll need a solid electrolytic capacitor, which values it has I don't know. If you still have the capacitor, you should be able to read the values off of it (or send a picture of it if you aren't sure about the values).
Whatever you do DON'T bridge the pins, that could cause more damage!

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

46 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

thats not a blown capacitor its literally missing

also thats not the m version of the board as the m version has a smaller chipset heatsink and different sata port layout

i have no clue what youd do here other than find another capacitor to solder on or just bridge those 2 remains of the capacitor and see if it works

I have no idea how it fell off though!

You're right, the motherboard box says B550-PLUS, I don't know where I saw B550M-PLUS and typed it out 🤦‍♂️

23 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

I'd recommend to either leave it as is or solder on a new capacitor. You'll need a solid electrolytic capacitor, which values it has I don't know. If you still have the capacitor, you should be able to read the values off of it (or send a picture of it if you aren't sure about the values).
Whatever you do DON'T bridge the pins, that could cause more damage!

Yeah, I understand enough electronics to not short those pins! 🙂

Sadly, I am not able to recall where I kept the broken capacitor to read the values & buy new one, which is why I posted here for confirmation, if someone has same board can, they post a pic / values.

38 minutes ago, NileshGR said:

I have no idea how it fell off though!

You're right, the motherboard box says B550-PLUS, I don't know where I saw B550M-PLUS and typed it out 🤦‍♂️

Yeah, I understand enough electronics to not short those pins! 🙂

Sadly, I am not able to recall where I kept the broken capacitor to read the values & buy new one, which is why I posted here for confirmation, if someone has same board can, they post a pic / values.

If it works, I would just leave it honestly. That cap might only be used to filter the voltage, and might not have any real effect, apart from stabilize the signal 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

If it works, I would just leave it honestly. That cap might only be used to filter the voltage, and might not have any real effect, apart from stabilize the signal 

Actually I ended up discovering this when I was troubleshooting why one HDD in my RAID1 array disappears randomly at times and then I have re-mirror it (re-mirroring 1 TB is no joke, takes nearly half a day).

Currently, it's working fine, I changed the ports and cables, so I don't know if it might happen again.

Whether lack of signal stabilization by the cap was responsible for this behavior isn't clear.

16 minutes ago, NileshGR said:

Actually I ended up discovering this when I was troubleshooting why one HDD in my RAID1 array disappears randomly at times and then I have re-mirror it (re-mirroring 1 TB is no joke, takes nearly half a day).

Currently, it's working fine, I changed the ports and cables, so I don't know if it might happen again.

Whether lack of signal stabilization by the cap was responsible for this behavior isn't clear.

Unless you've had the pc open just before you got raid1 issues, then I would guess it's not related.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.