Are these pins bent?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

There is a chance you need a BIOS update for the 14900k to work in that motherboard.

@RONOTHAN## Thoughts? I'm not too familiar with Z790's and 14th gen.

Eh, not likely. The 14900K should just work on 13th gen BIOS revisions, though a BIOS update probably wouldn't hurt (unfortunately, the Z790-P does not have BIOS Flashback, so you'd be stuck with whatever BIOS was on the board until you get into the BIOS). 

1 minute ago, Wright said:

I tried the paperclip test and the fan started spinning a few seconds after

OK, if the PSU passes the paperclip test, but the system refuses to do anything, there's probably something up with the start button. Either the button you're pressing is faulty, the connection isn't hooked up to the right spot (or you're hitting the wrong ones if you're trying to start it with a knife), or the board is, in fact, DOA, though the socket will have nothing to do with that. 

3 minutes ago, Wright said:

Amazon q&a / product info say it doesn’t need a bios update to run 14th gen

I will say that's probably right (in regards to the 14900K and 14600K, the 14700K is a special case), though Amazon's Q&A and product info pages are fairly regularly wrong, so I wouldn't use them as a source. 

Trying to build my first pc, all the parts I got are compatible, plugged everything in and double checked them, tried starting it, and nothing happened. 
Before I started building I noticed the pins on my motherboard were at an angle and took this picture as it seemed odd image.thumb.jpeg.50c0b3748640405a2e702a77d2d96769.jpeg

I looked through my motherboards manual but couldn’t find anything for this, no leds turned on and no beep codes played, I tried reseating the graphics card and ram but nothing happened, anyone have any ideas as to what went wrong?

5 minutes ago, Wright said:

Trying to build my first pc, all the parts I got are compatible, plugged everything in and double checked them, tried starting it, and nothing happened. 
Before I started building I noticed the pins on my motherboard were at an angle and took this picture as it seemed odd

I looked through my motherboards manual but couldn’t find anything for this, no leds turned on and no beep codes played, I tried reseating the graphics card and ram but nothing happened, anyone have any ideas as to what went wrong?

I dont see anything wrong in that socket.  Maybe someone else see something I dont but everything looks good.

What motherboard and CPU are you trying to use?

Pins in the socket are not straight up, they are all going to one side and this is by design 🙂

5 minutes ago, Wright said:

tried starting it, and nothing happened. 

Try doing the paperclip test, if nothing happens that's more likely the PSU than the motherboard. Fans and LEDs should at least turn on if the system was attempting to turn on. 

https://www.silverstonetek.com/upload/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

4 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I dont see anything wrong in that socket.  Maybe someone else see something I dont but everything looks good.

What motherboard and CPU are you trying to use?

Pins in the socket are not straight up, they are all going to one side and this is by design 🙂

Z790-p WiFi d4 and intel i9 14900kf 

6 minutes ago, Wright said:

Z790-p WiFi d4 and intel i9 14900kf 

There is a chance you need a BIOS update for the 14900k to work in that motherboard.

BIOS website say validated since 1205.

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Try doing the paperclip test, if nothing happens that's more likely the PSU than the motherboard. Fans and LEDs should at least turn on if the system was attempting to turn on. 

https://www.silverstonetek.com/upload/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Eh, not likely. The 14900K should just work on 13th gen BIOS revisions, though a BIOS update probably wouldn't hurt (unfortunately, the Z790-P does not have BIOS Flashback, so you'd be stuck with whatever BIOS was on the board until you get into the BIOS). 

1 minute ago, Wright said:

OK, if the PSU passes the paperclip test, but the system refuses to do anything, there's probably something up with the start button. Either the button you're pressing is faulty, the connection isn't hooked up to the right spot (or you're hitting the wrong ones if you're trying to start it with a knife), or the board is, in fact, DOA, though the socket will have nothing to do with that. 

3 minutes ago, Wright said:

I will say that's probably right (in regards to the 14900K and 14600K, the 14700K is a special case), though Amazon's Q&A and product info pages are fairly regularly wrong, so I wouldn't use them as a source. 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Tried using a paper clip with non conductive gloves on instead of a screwdriver for the switch and 

image.thumb.jpeg.094c81072f7074a09a79ab8e898eb5c6.jpeg

thanks for helping me figure this out!

2 minutes ago, Wright said:

Tried using a paper clip with non conductive gloves on instead of a screwdriver for the switch and 

image.thumb.jpeg.094c81072f7074a09a79ab8e898eb5c6.jpeg

thanks for helping me figure this out!

Fantastic!  Enjoy the system, looks like quite the beast 😄

Happy Gaming or whatever you use the system for!