CasaOS and DuckDNS

Hi All

I have just installed Casa on my raspberry pi and have downloaded the DuckDNS app hoping to get it easily accessible outside my internal network, however when i add the subdomain and token info i got from the duckdns website to the config settings of the app i just get a bad gateway error. Im not very proficient at linux or docker container configuration so im not sure whats going wrong. Does anyone have any ideas what i can do/ try as the process seems fairly straight forward but obviously isnt

Any extra info you need just let me know

Thanks

12 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

hoping to get it easily accessible outside my internal network

Can you provide a bit more info on what exactly you're trying to achieve here? Are you trying to host a publicly available DNS server? Did you open/forward the necessary ports on your router? Are you certain your ISP isn't blocking that, since hosting a DNS server is not a typical consumer activity?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Hi

Sorry, i should have started there, let me clarify

I'm not great at networking but it was my understanding that DuckDNS gave you a subdomain (that points to your constantly updated public ip) so with services like nextcloud you can simply provide a domain rather than the port forwarding route.

CasaOS is basically docker with a GUI and im playing around with setting up a few other services through it- like nextcloud or calibre server etc (the apps im playing around with all work locally). I (on reflection naively) assumed that the duckdns app once configured would point CasaOS to the subdomain and so let me access CasaOS and anything installed on it outside my network. 

I installed the app and in settings it was preconfigured with the pi's local IP, so with the sub domain in its category and the token in that field i had assumed CasaOS would be accessible outside my network

Unfortunately there seems to be few guides for duckdns in general let alone this specific use case

Thanks for your reply

Edit: I managed to track down the Github page- linuxserver/duckdns - Docker Image | Docker Hub - 

13 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

I'm not great at networking but it was my understanding that DuckDNS gave you a subdomain (that points to your constantly updated public ip) so with services like nextcloud you can simply provide a domain rather than the port forwarding route.

A domain name simply means you don't have to use the (changing) IP address, but can use a fixed name instead. This is independent from port forwarding, which is needed to make services behind your router available to the outside world.

The domain name points to your public IP, which in turn belongs to your ISP's router. So by default any request to that IP will end up on your router which, by default, will simply block it. To make a service publicly available, you'll need to set up port forwarding so that a request to a specific port is forwarded to a machine on your network, where a service needs to be listening on that port.

18 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

I (on reflection naively) assumed that the duckdns app once configured would point CasaOS to the subdomain and so let me access CasaOS and anything installed on it outside my network.

Do you mean the Duck DNS Updater? That app simply updates the domain any time your public IP changes, so the name resolves to your (then current) public IP. I haven't found anything that says it also acts as a sort of reverse tunnel that automatically exposes the machine to the internet.

Im unsure if the app is just an updater or not, this is all the store page says.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 16.15.42.png

40 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

Im unsure if the app is just an updater or not, this is all the store page says.

Yes, that's the extend of its functionality. The first sentence of its descriptions pretty much says it all. It also matches with the app's about page: https://www.duckdns.org/about.jsp

So it simply updates a DNS record to point to your current IP, that's it. It's still up to you to forward and open ports etc.