Are my Modular Cables compatible with my new PSU?

Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,
10 minutes ago, MarkusStromberger said:

I currently have a BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 FM 650W PSU and recently purchased a BeQuiet! Pure Power 12 M 850W PSU.

I'm curious if I can simply swap out the PSU and continue using the same cables, or if I'll need to redo all the cable management.

I've checked several forums and YouTube videos, but opinions are split. Some say it's possible to reuse the cables, while others warn it could harm my parts

Unless you are 100% sure it is IDENTICAL, NEVER reuse cables. The cablemod compatibility list does not explicitly say it is compatible, so don't reuse cables.

See EVGA PSU revision issue.

I currently have a BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 FM 650W PSU and recently purchased a BeQuiet! Pure Power 12 M 850W PSU.

I'm curious if I can simply swap out the PSU and continue using the same cables, or if I'll need to redo all the cable management.

I've checked several forums and YouTube videos, but opinions are split. Some say it's possible to reuse the cables, while others warn it could harm my parts

10 minutes ago, MarkusStromberger said:

Unless you are 100% sure it is IDENTICAL, NEVER reuse cables. The cablemod compatibility list does not explicitly say it is compatible, so don't reuse cables.

See EVGA PSU revision issue.

While cables are identical on the motherboard side, there is no such guarantee on the PSU side. If the old cables happen to be pin compatible, it will work. But if they are not, you may end up frying your components. So don't do it unless you're absolutely certain they are.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Unless you can confirm that the cables are exactly the same, do not reuse them. Simply assuming they are because they're from the same brand or even utilizing similar platforms could result in components being totally ruined. 

Your power supply in terms of its internal electrical connections is essentially a black box, or should be treated as such. Therefore, you do not know where the electrical connections are specifically being made.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch