Motherboard capacitor started smoking parts still able to be used?

One of my motherboard capacitors blew (fairly sure one that handles powers) and I was wondering if the parts are still able to be used in a different build?

The reason it blew is unknown I turned it on, and it just started smoking.

7 minutes ago, YungMoneyDan said:

One of my motherboard capacitors blew (fairly sure one that handles powers) and I was wondering if the parts are still able to be used in a different build?

The reason it blew is unknown I turned it on, and it just started smoking.

The other parts should be alright.  There is really only one way to find out.

Even if a power delivery capacitor got roasted, they are redundant. You'll see several rows of power delivery next to your CPU - odds are, the motherboard will still work fine without that capacitor as well. The other parts will be fine though for sure.

11 minutes ago, da na said:

Even if a power delivery capacitor got roasted, they are redundant. You'll see several rows of power delivery next to your CPU - odds are, the motherboard will still work fine without that capacitor as well. The other parts will be fine though for sure.

Thanks a lot! 😄 

Edit: I plugged the motherboard back into power and it smelt smoke immediately, so the motherboard is broken but I dont know about the other parts seeing I have no way of testing them.

1 hour ago, YungMoneyDan said:

Thanks a lot! 😄 

Edit: I plugged the motherboard back into power and it smelt smoke immediately, so the motherboard is broken but I dont know about the other parts seeing I have no way of testing them.

Yeah you'd have to physically remove the defective part as its likely causing a short circuit now.  Also if its a wet type its going to have vented its guts all over which will corrode other parts unless its cleaned off.

Even then, its not recommended to use the board without actually replacing the capacitor (and I still wouldn't as you don't know if some other fault caused the failure). 

1 hour ago, da na said:

Even if a power delivery capacitor got roasted, they are redundant. You'll see several rows of power delivery next to your CPU

Just because it might work without one, doesn't mean they're redundant.  No motherboard manufacturer is just slapping more components on the board than they can get away with, as they like to save every last cent.

They may all be on different power phases to prevent ripple from the switching circuits.  Or several may be working together in order to avoid using a much larger capacitor.  One missing will mean its running out of spec which can cause other failures, including damaging the CPU.  Its never worth the risk.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7