audio problem

NoobFlick

I have problem with my earphones, i most play competitive games and for some reason in game i cant tell the where the footsteps are coming from, it seems like they are coming from all sides, i also have changed my earphones for that reason but still same issue. Can anyone help me out? Any suggestions? could this be a driver issue?

What game are you playing? What port (jack) are you connecting your headphones to?

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

Not enough information.

Is this a new computer?

Did you recently replace a part?

Did you recently perform an update?

Is this your first time playing this game?

Have you changed the game settings recently?

Is your system sending Left/Right channels correctly?

Are you personally incapable distinguishing left and right?

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

5 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Not enough information.

Is this a new computer?

Yes this is a new computer.

I have been playing games for a few months now, but i thought there was some issue with my earphones, but recently i changed them and i still have the same issue. I have tried every game setting but still have the same problem. I am hearing the left and right audio from both sides.

I regularly update windows, so i  don’t think it could be some kind of update issue.

7 hours ago, Catzzye said:

What game are you playing? What port (jack) are you connecting your headphones to?

Valorant 

3.5mm headphones jack

10 hours ago, NoobFlick said:

Yes this is a new computer.

I have been playing games for a few months now, but i thought there was some issue with my earphones, but recently i changed them and i still have the same issue. I have tried every game setting but still have the same problem. I am hearing the left and right audio from both sides.

I regularly update windows, so i  don’t think it could be some kind of update issue.

Did you try the video I linked to..?

Did it send audio to the correct sides or did you hear both sides regardless?

Are you sure you’ve checked if Mono audio in Windows is turned off?

Have you tried the Stereo audio output from motherboard? It’s typically a Green output.

If it all fails, I would buy an external DAC/amp. The $9 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm jack is the best value on the market in the US. In other countries it is less good, since it only provides half power. But in this situation, we’re trying to solve your audio problem anyway.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

43 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Did you try the video I linked to..?

Did it send audio to the correct sides or did you hear both sides regardless?

Are you sure you’ve checked if Mono audio in Windows is turned off?

Have you tried the Stereo audio output from motherboard? It’s typically a Green output.

If it all fails, I would buy an external DAC/amp. The $9 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm jack is the best value on the market in the US. In other countries it is less good, since it only provides half power. But in this situation, we’re trying to solve your audio problem anyway.

yes i tried the video you linked to.

it send the audio to both sides.

i tried the video, when it says left side I hear it from both sides, but when it says right side, the audio volume goes very low [almost impossible to hear], when it says hear from both sides then i hear from both sides.

mono audio is off.

yes i have tried stereo output from motherboard.

25 minutes ago, NoobFlick said:

yes i tried the video you linked to.

it send the audio to both sides.

i tried the video, when it says left side I hear it from both sides, but when it says right side, the audio volume goes very low [almost impossible to hear], when it says hear from both sides then i hear from both sides.

mono audio is off.

yes i have tried stereo output from motherboard.

wow. okay, definitely buy an external DAC/amp like the Apple USB-C dongle. Buy a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter too if your computer does not have USB-C ports.

51 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

wow. okay, definitely buy an external DAC/amp like the Apple USB-C dongle. Buy a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter too if your computer does not have USB-C ports.

ok thank you

Do you have any other devices, you can try these headphones on and watch this video? It might be worth a try to test that first. It might be a problem with the headphones.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:23 PM, Heats with Nvidia said:

Do you have any other devices, you can try these headphones on and watch this video? It might be worth a try to test that first. It might be a problem with the headphones.

i tried them with my laptop and they are working.

I have problem with my earphones, i most play competitive games and for some reason in game i cant tell the where the footsteps are coming from, it seems like they are coming from all sides, i also have changed my earphones for that reason but still same issue. i have tried the earphones on my laptop and they are working fine. Can anyone help me out? Any suggestions? could this be a driver issue? these are the audio drivers installed on the device.

Screenshot (151).png

to hear directonal sound i would think you should get headset with dolby surround included. or atleast stereo, so you can identify left or right ear. 

hard to say on the driver side as you have not identified any data of your system. 

but you have 1 unidentified device, and 1 base component both without drivers. 

i would go to your mainboard support web page and download all drivers listed and install them, they usually have sounddrivers too. 

does your laptop have mic and headset in 1 3.5mm jack? .. 

and does your pc have a separate mic jack?.  it can sound like your using the wrong jack and would need a splitter to separate mic and headset.  or just not properly plugged in.. that tends to cause mono signal too. 

if you can use your headset on a mobile phone without problem it's a splitter you will need usually. since pc's tend to have two plugs for mic and headset. so the rings on the jack are different from combined jack. 

What earphones are you using?

Also, the windows troubleshooter might help. Start menu, type troubleshoot, select Troubleshoot Settings, click Additional Troubleshooters, click Playing audio, work through that and test
Finally, rightclick the Volume icon on the taskbar, click Sounds, go to Playback tab, rightclick your earphones, properties, Advanced tab, check your default format

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

-= Topics Merged =-

Please refrain from reposting topics.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

15 hours ago, Robchil said:

to hear directonal sound i would think you should get headset with dolby surround included. or atleast stereo, so you can identify left or right ear. 

hard to say on the driver side as you have not identified any data of your system. 

i would go to your mainboard support web page and download all drivers listed and install them, they usually have sounddrivers too. 

and does your pc have a separate mic jack?.  it can sound like your using the wrong jack and would need a splitter to separate mic and headset.  or just not properly plugged in.. that tends to cause mono signal too. 

if you can use your headset on a mobile phone without problem it's a splitter you will need usually. since pc's tend to have two plugs for mic and headset. so the rings on the jack are different from combined jack. 

yes my laptop has a mic and headset in 3.5mm jack. i am using a splitter on my pc, i have plugged it properly. i downloaded drivers from msi website, now realtek audio drivers are installed on my system but same issue.

14 hours ago, OddOod said:

What earphones are you using?

Also, the windows troubleshooter might help. Start menu, type troubleshoot, select Troubleshoot Settings, click Additional Troubleshooters, click Playing audio, work through that and test
Finally, rightclick the Volume icon on the taskbar, click Sounds, go to Playback tab, rightclick your earphones, properties, Advanced tab, check your default format

simple earphones but they are working just fine on my laptop, the troubleshooter is useless.

15 hours ago, Robchil said:

also i tried this video 

if i turn mono audio on, it send the audio to both sides.

if i turn the mono audio off then, when it says left side I hear it from both sides, but when it says right side, the audio volume goes very low [almost impossible to hear], when it says hear from both sides then i hear from both sides.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 6:38 PM, saintlouisbagels said:

Not enough information.

Is this a new computer?

Came across something weird. Why can I hear through both speakers without spatial audio while still being able to tell which side the voice is coming from, but when using the spatial audio settings the opposite side is completely muted? My astro mixamp has a way to select dolby or another type of audio output (looks like a star), and it has it's own equalizer. Dolby Atmos only completely mutes one side when the mixamp is set to the star setting, not the dolby setting, and dolby atmos has it's own equalizer. Realtek also has it's own equalizer. I assume audio goes from Realtek>Astro Mixamp>Dolby Atmos, so does all my audio pass through 3 equalizers? Also, if I'm able to tell the direction when both speakers are active (no selected spatial audio in windows), does that mean my audio is being filtered through multiple spatial audio programs as well? What kind of rabbit hole have you thrown me into? 

On 4/11/2024 at 12:13 PM, NoobFlick said:

also i tried this video 

if i turn mono audio on, it send the audio to both sides.

if i turn the mono audio off then, when it says left side I hear it from both sides, but when it says right side, the audio volume goes very low [almost impossible to hear], when it says hear from both sides then i hear from both sides.

Are you sure the headphones are plugged in all the way

Cause: left channel is tip, right channel is ring, ground is shaft. (TRS-plug of your headphones). If the plug isn't properly connected, the contact for the left channel will bridge TR, the contact for the right channel will be bridget to S and thus basically get cancelled out. 

That's why I highly doubt this is a software issue. If the headphones are really plugged in all the way, I'd say it's a broken headphone jack. Like other users recommended before, get a cheap DAC / sound card and give it a try.

(One more way to rule out software issues: take an USB drive, boot some live Linux OS from it and play back the same youtube video. If the error persists, it's definitely hardware-related)