German automotive club ADAC warns against retractable door handles

Senzelian
1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

You are being asinine in thinking that it's a black and white thing.  Just because someone doesn't check for alignment doesn't mean they don't check it at all.

People will often realize that their mirror is out of sorts when they are driving because they go to use it and it's out of position.

You are the one claiming it has no benefit; yet are ignorant to the fact that it does provide benefits.

Good for you, go stick your head in the sand like an ostrich does and ignore the realities.

Since we are going to just make things up, cameras don't ever spontaneously fail /s.  The simple fact is if you google "wing mirror fell off" you will find that yes there are lots of people out there that have mirrors fall off while driving.

Simple fact is, it's wrong to state that cameras have no benefits of mirrors; when in fact they do when you apply it to the average driver.

Whatever car you drive that the mirror goes out of adjustment all the time, and wherever you live that mirrors are frequently ripped-off of cars, both suck. These things don’t represent everyone’s experience, so stop claiming everyone else is wrong because your scenario is terrible; It has nothing to do with anyone else sticking their head in the sand.

Just like the other person I was arguing with, I’ll repeat this again: Your situation/laws you have to follow/experiences are not representative of everyone’s on the entire planet, so don’t say other people are wrong when it’s actually you that doesn’t understand the differences between different locations.

Also, you saying ‘just Google it and see the results’ is just pushing a confirmation bias.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

8 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Whatever car you drive that the mirror goes out of adjustment all the time, and wherever you live that mirrors are frequently ripped-off of cars, both suck. These things don’t represent everyone’s experience, so stop claiming everyone else is wrong because your scenario is terrible; It has nothing to do with anyone else sticking their head in the sand.

Just like the other person I was arguing with, I’ll repeat this again: Your situation/laws/experiences are not representative of everyone’s on the entire planet, so don’t say other people are wrong when it’s actually you that doesn’t understand the differences between different locations.

You are being ignorant because YOU are the one who keeps making claims with the stupid notion that you can compare mirrors to cameras simply and make the stupid argument that there is zero benefit to cameras...and when people point out that you are wrong you use the argument that "driver error" should somehow not count.

Fact is 25% of people don't properly check their mirrors for proper alignment...and yet you are being ignorant in dismissing that cameras can do better jobs than mirrors.

As was mentioned already, cameras can offer a better FOV, it can also provide better night vision, it can also provide additional features like emergency warnings of collisions/lane keeping warnings...this whole discussion is in place because you are being too dense to recognize that scenarios happen that are beyond what YOU are experiencing.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

10 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

You are being ignorant because YOU are the one who keeps making claims with the stupid notion that you can compare mirrors to cameras simply and make the stupid argument that there is zero benefit to cameras...and when people point out that you are wrong you use the argument that "driver error" should somehow not count.

Fact is 25% of people don't properly check their mirrors for proper alignment...and yet you are being ignorant in dismissing that cameras can do better jobs than mirrors.

As was mentioned already, cameras can offer a better FOV, it can also provide better night vision, it can also provide additional features like emergency warnings of collisions/lane keeping warnings...this whole discussion is in place because you are being too dense to recognize that scenarios happen that are beyond what YOU are experiencing.

I’m stating my experience of where I live and what I drive, you have no bearing on it. The world doesn’t revolve around you and your experiences alone. You claiming it’s my ignorance is laughable, when you’re acting like because my situation is different from yours that I’m lying or unknowledgeable. 

You’re getting ignored just like the other person, because like them you seemingly cannot grasp there are people that exist in a different environment than you do, so there’s no need to continue the discussion on my end.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

14 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I’m stating my experience of where I live and what I drive, you have no bearing on it. The world doesn’t revolve around you and your experiences alone. You claiming it’s my ignorance is laughable, when you’re acting like because my situation is different from yours that I’m lying or unknowledgeable. 

You’re getting ignored just like the other person, because like them you seemingly cannot grasp there are people that exist in a different environment than you do, so there’s no need to continue the discussion on my end.

You literally are the one that's stating it has no safety benefits; which it clearly does.  I'm telling you about other people and like an ostrich you stick you head in the sand pretending your statement should only apply to you and no the average person.

Simple fact is I don't care about you, or what my typical drive is like...WHAT is important is the concept that on average it should be better for people, yet you are stating it's not 

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

4 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

There’s no law where I live that says you cannot drive a car that has one broken mirror, it also wouldn’t nullify car insurance coverage either. I don’t even care if that’s a law where you live, it isn’t one most places and it shouldn’t be either.

My standard in this discussion is that a car shouldn’t disable itself if one of the side view devices is broken, and electronics and cameras are more complicated and less reliable than a mirror, that is what I originally commented, but you and other people have turned it into some shitshow.

You’re now completely making things up like trying to claim my standard is, ‘drunk-driving some death trap car’, that’s as disingenuous as it gets. You mentioned having a conversation “like a grown man”, you’ve never done that as you’ve fabricated bullshit about what I’ve said and about my character from the very moment you first quoted me; Do not bother responding as I’m just going to ignore list you and be done with this conversation. 

First world countries absolutely have strict regulations when a car can enter the road. If it's allowed where you live, you must not live in a first world country where safety rules matter.

It's interesting where you don't care that we have a law for that over here. You are constantly bitching about drivers are the issue, but you don't want laws to make sure that all vehicles on the road follow rules that make them safe to be on there. But let's be simple, you don't really care about safety at all, you want freedom, the freedom to drive a deathtrap, the freedom to get run over by a drunk idiot who doesn't have mirrors.

The rest of us though, want safety, we want to know that every car on the road is safe to be on there, and we want safety to be improved when possible. You are clearly against this, and the fact that you mentioned that you want to be able to drive around with a broken mirror, really says enough.

You say I 'fabricate bullshit', but the fact is that you wholeheartedly put the blame on the driver, the condition of the car is irrelevant to you, you don't want safety improvements, and you don't want laws that require certain safety aspects. But add me to your ignore list, I'll accept it as a badge of honor.

4 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

25% of people not checking their mirror is 25% of people not checking their mirror, the only point of making that statement would be to show that 1/4 of drivers don’t use a side view mirror. If someone doesn’t look to see if their mirror still exists when they get in a car, they’re not using it when driving.

Side-view mirrors do not just spontaneously fail, nor is there some rampant destruction of them where I live. If these two things are true of where you live that sucks, but it isn’t the reality here and so I’m not convinced it’s a problem where I live. I’ve never had to re-adjust my side mirrors in the almost twenty years I’ve driven my car, they’re exactly where I set them the day I bought it.

Also, the same Rain-X water repellent for windows works just fine on a mirror. I’ve never had mud splash all over my car, but it would just slide off my mirror like any liquid does.

What nonsense. I check the mirrors I use. Generally I only need my right mirror when driving away from home, so if my left mirror is out of place, I wouldn't notice it until I need it. By all means call me a bad driver, I don't care. Also interesting take from a guy who is for allowing to drive with a broken mirror.

Interesting how all safety arguments are countered with "I". No one cares where you live, no one cares what laws you have, no one cares that your country lets deathtraps on the road, no one cares if there is no destruction where you live. This whole argument is all about safety in general. Don't you get it, the world doesn't revolve around you.

A lot of design choices in new cars, especially EVs, are beyond stupid. Give me functionality, not fancy touch screens.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy