Ways to get around bottleneck?

Tivsmiles

i have a 4060 mixed with a 3400g, my 1650 recently broke so 4060 was a cheap replacement. now that i have a 4060 theres alot of bottleneck for my games. i struggle to hit 50 or even 60 fps because my gpu doesnt want to go over 50%. when i increase my settings the framerate still stays the same. i have tried alot of things to get around it but i dont know what to do.

fps.png

12 minutes ago, Tivsmiles said:

i have a 4060 mixed with a 3400g, my 1650 recently broke so 4060 was a cheap replacement. now that i have a 4060 theres alot of bottleneck for my games. i struggle to hit 50 or even 60 fps because my gpu doesnt want to go over 50%. when i increase my settings the framerate still stays the same. i have tried alot of things to get around it but i dont know what to do.

Double check that your games are running on the 4060, not your iGPU.

One thing that's not helping is that your CPU is limited to PCIe Gen3 speeds, and the 4060 is a Gen4 x8 card. Since PCIe is backwards compatible, the 4060 is running at Gen3 speeds. PCIe bandwidth per lane doubled between Gen3 and Gen4, so right now your 4060 has half as much bandwidth to your CPU as your old 1660 did.

What motherboard do you have? You might be a BIOS flash away from Ryzen 5000 compatibility, and even a 5600 would be a significant upgrade for you (and a 5600X would be even more so).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

9 minutes ago, Tivsmiles said:

Upgrading the 3400g to a faster CPU would help a lot in modern titles. 
If you have a decent motherboard you can just update the BIOS and buy a faster CPU. A 5600 would be amazing.

How much RAM are you running and at what speed?

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Double check that your games are running on the 4060, not your iGPU.

One thing that's not helping is that your CPU is limited to PCIe Gen3 speeds, and the 4060 is a Gen4 x8 card. Since PCIe is backwards compatible, the 4060 is running at Gen3 speeds. PCIe bandwidth per lane doubled between Gen3 and Gen4, so right now your 4060 has half as much bandwidth to your CPU as your old 1660 did.

What motherboard do you have? You might be a BIOS flash away from Ryzen 5000 compatibility, and even a 5600 would be a significant upgrade for you (and a 5600X would be even more so).

Did you check out Hardware Unboxed recent video on the 5600?  It holds up really well 😮

Obviously falls short in some titles.

You could try and disable everything that might take your CPU time, so it has the maximum resources available and change settings that are CPU intensive in the game (that can vary, but e.g. crowd intensity), but with some games there's not really anything you can do except upgrade.

53 minutes ago, Tivsmiles said:

fps.png

Open task manager and set it to show all cores. You will see that you are CPU limited. Only way to fix it is with a better cpu.