New Monitor connected to laptop - Stretched View

Weezy

Hello,

I have Windows 11 on a laptop with a 1080p screen (This one) that I use for work. I just bought an ultra-wide monitor, right here 

I have checked all settings and cannot find a way to correct the aspect ratio of the new monitor which is now stretching everything I view on it. The laptop screen is still fine, it's just the new monitor that's goofy. I realize they are two different resolutions, but figured I could change something in the settings

What am I missing? 

When connected to my desktop, it's all normal and looks good. 

Any help would be appreciated

Intel Core i7-11700K || Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti || 1TB Corsair MP600 PRO XT & 2TB Samsung 980 Pro || Adata DDR4 3200 4x8GB || Asrock Z590-C/ac

20 minutes ago, Weezy said:

Hello,

I have Windows 11 on a laptop with a 1080p screen (This one) that I use for work. I just bought an ultra-wide monitor, right here 

I have checked all settings and cannot find a way to correct the aspect ratio of the new monitor which is now stretching everything I view on it. The laptop screen is still fine, it's just the new monitor that's goofy. I realize they are two different resolutions, but figured I could change something in the settings

What am I missing? 

When connected to my desktop, it's all normal and looks good. 

Any help would be appreciated

Is the resolution for the secondary display set to 5120 x 1440 to match the monitor? The only other thing you can possibly change is to change the screen size on the monitor to tell it not to stretch the image. But that just nullifies the point of getting an ultrawide monitor with such high resolution in the first place. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Are you using the ultrawide to mirror the laptop's internal display or to extend and work as a secondary display? If you want to mirror, go into the monitor's settings menu and disable it's aspect ratio control or set it to 16:9. That should make it not strech, but you will have black bars on either side. If you want to extend, make sure the ultrawide monitor runs at the correct resolution.

To change the display mode on multi-monitor setups press Windows + P.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Awesome, thanks guys! I had not selected the 2nd monitor to change the resolution. Once I did, that did the trick!

Intel Core i7-11700K || Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti || 1TB Corsair MP600 PRO XT & 2TB Samsung 980 Pro || Adata DDR4 3200 4x8GB || Asrock Z590-C/ac