What smoked (literally) my drive?

Omon_Ra

I have an older 2.5" Western Digital HDD in my DJ laptop, and I'm finally getting around to replacing it with an SSD. The plan was to use my old PC (Asus x99 Deluxe and Corsair RM1000) and its plethora of SATA ports/power to clone the old HDD to the new SSD. The PC was powered off, I connected the drives, SATA data/power, pressed power button, no boot. Not even a POST code. I thought that was odd, so turn off the PSU, unplugged the SATA daisy chain from the PSU, and it boots right up. I shut it down again, but this time only hooking up the old HDD. About 5 seconds after I hit the power button, smoke starts billowing from the SATA cable. I immediately cut the power, but the drive is toast. I have another backup of my music on a different drive, so no real data loss. But I really don't understand what could have caused a SATA data cable to ignite.

- Corsair PSU cables from the RM1000 box

- SATA cables from Asus motherboard box

The drive was fine before I put it in the PC. It almost seems like the motherboard was sending power over the SATA data cable?? These aren't the greatest pics, but I had originally been planning on transitioning this rig into a NAS/home server...but if it's going to do this to more drives, not a chance...

image.png.981255bfce945c5d182a8a614ea1f8e6.png

image.png.ab53179cc741c0fb1a0f92cd48c8bc12.png

image.png.12efbb46ed772fe4f90498800457ea21.png

you should somehow verify that power cable is wired correctly, try to follow the wires back to the psu and see if they match with a known good one, It could be the wire was made wrong and youve just never used it before?
or perhaps somehow its been plugged into the wrong port on the psu?

Most logic i could tell you is that there was temporary connection between electricity and data line and somehow was connected at that moment and fried disk.

It could be that case and hardware is overloaded with electricity and there was no ground.

Or it could be that dust or other material specifically on spot on the motherboard where sata line and power line was connected. 

I don't think it was cable issue it's simply went over power capacity that cable can handle.

At least that's what i could believe.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

That cabble is done 

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

19 hours ago, da na said:

Was the bare PCB back of the drive set on any metal surface? 

No. It was (admittedly not ideal for spinning disk drives) hanging out of the side of the case. The side panel was off.

17 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

you should somehow verify that power cable is wired correctly, try to follow the wires back to the psu and see if they match with a known good one, It could be the wire was made wrong and youve just never used it before?
or perhaps somehow its been plugged into the wrong port on the psu?

It's on the correct port on the PSU, but it is possible it's a bad cable as I had never used this cable and had taken it out of the RM1000 box when I was prepping it for NAS duties. It's a 4-way SATA connector, and the other SATA cables for the 4 existing drives in the PC are the same that had always been in there. I'm trashing that cable regardless, there's others in the box. But most likely I'm going to get a new PSU to cover my bases for the NAS build-out; the RM1000 is near 10 years old now and I only need ~600 watts realistically.

16 hours ago, BoomerDutch said:

Most logic i could tell you is that there was temporary connection between electricity and data line and somehow was connected at that moment and fried disk.

It could be that case and hardware is overloaded with electricity and there was no ground.

Or it could be that dust or other material specifically on spot on the motherboard where sata line and power line was connected. 

I don't think it was cable issue it's simply went over power capacity that cable can handle.

At least that's what i could believe.

I had my hand on the case as I was powering it on (side panel was off), I was not shocked, and it's definitely grounded. The dust could be possible, I had cleaned the case a few weeks back.

13 hours ago, kokosnh said:

That cabble is done 

Yep. Quite clearly; along with the drive. Thanks for the input yall. I'm honestly glad it blew up the drive and not the motherboard more than anything. Logically I knew somehow power got routed to the data side, but wasn't sure if there were known causes to something like this. Not planning on hooking up any more drives to this machine until I get a new PSU, but for now it keeps on working and I restored my last backup to the new SSD. I am missing some newer files I recently downloaded, but I still have them on my other computer. Got a little bit of rebuilding to do, but aside from a slightly smelly room for a bit and mild panik, but as far as catastrophic data loss is concerned, I fared pretty well.

the back up copy of the music collection is also on a HDD ?

if so, you'll be surprised that the sound quality will be quite different when you switch to listening from a SSD..........

51 minutes ago, worstalentscout said:

if so, you'll be surprised that the sound quality will be quite different when you switch to listening from a SSD..........

What does the type of media have to do with the sound quality? 

21 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

u w0t m8? The one of the backups (I have several) is on a portable SSD. There is no sound quality difference between music stored on an SSD versus HDD...

22 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

You forgot to add the /s at the end. People will take you seriously here.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:12 AM, OhioYJ said:

What does the type of media have to do with the sound quality? 

i wouldn't know..............just that when i switched to my 1st SSD................the sound was very different - the SSD sounds leaner in the bass and midrange but has better treble than the HDD

48 minutes ago, worstalentscout said:

i wouldn't know..............just that when i switched to my 1st SSD................the sound was very different - the SSD sounds leaner in the bass and midrange but has better treble than the HDD

You are not serious are you?

23 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

You are not serious are you?

absolutely............there's an audiophile forum that i found later where people were buying modified audiophile SSDs for their music.......different brands somehow has different sound quality........

1 hour ago, worstalentscout said:

absolutely............there's an audiophile forum that i found later where people were buying modified audiophile SSDs for their music.......different brands somehow has different sound quality........

No they don't. It's all snake oil, has been proven to be snake oil.