Minecraft Server Hosting

I am trying to host a local Minecraft server on pc hopefully without port forwarding using a VPN service but I do not understand how to do so. I am hoping to only allow access to this server from one MAC address allowing me and my friend to play. I can’t find a rock solid answer online so I thought I would present this problem here.

If your friend is playing from his house, filtering by MAC address isn't going to work. Filtering by MAC address would only work on your local network, but that would be kind of a waste of time unless you don't trust others on your own network. playit.gg ^ is probably a good easy solution. Never tried it, though.

If you wanted to get a little more involved and not have to rely on a proxy, Tailscale is a good tunneling solution that would also keep you from having to port forward. But it is more involved, and requires your friend to also download it.

Part of the reason for trying not to use port forwarding is because I use bit defender vpn which as far as I know let you just open a port. If It would I could figure it out from there. Any advice

Back when my friends and I used to host servers, we used LogMeIn Hamachi. It's free and lets you set up a VPN that you and your friends can connect to, allowing them to connect to your game server. It doesn't require any port forwarding.

A Hamachi VPN is protected with a login, so just give your friend the login info and only they can join it.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

3 hours ago, dcgreen2k said:

Back when my friends and I used to host servers, we used LogMeIn Hamachi. It's free and lets you set up a VPN that you and your friends can connect to, allowing them to connect to your game server. It doesn't require any port forwarding.

A Hamachi VPN is protected with a login, so just give your friend the login info and only they can join it.

Should I be using a mesh or gateway network type for this use case. Thanks