PC shutting down after a new SSD installed.

Hello,

After I installed a new SSD (everything important mentioned in my previous post) I started to have some problems with my PC. It started to randomly shut down, at first it was minutes and now it's just seconds (OS is working, I can log in and use my PC normally untill it shuts down). The screen just goes black and the PC is extremely loud so I have to unplug it everytime I want to start it again because I'm just unable to turn it off normally. The other thing that isn't working is RGB (which isn't really a problem, I wouldn't care if it was just that). I think that the problem is that I connected incorrectly these cables and ports together. One time the PC said that I should connect PCIe cable and graphic card together correctly.

Could you please help me with connecting them together/solving it some other way? Thank you very much!

(Please pardon my English+tech knowledge)

20240401_181838.jpg

20240401_182220.jpg

20240401_182324.jpg

Sounds like it's overheating. Can you check temps before crash or not enough time?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Those connectors are just front panel connectors. Power and drive activity LEDs as well as power and reset switches
As for the correct way to plug them in, that's printed just below those pins
image.thumb.png.9e03b12d15d89f75e021ca5d32bdf378.png

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Oh! wait screen goes black and the fans are running 100%? That sounds like a GPU driver crash

Just now, OddOod said:

Oh! wait screen goes black and the fans are running 100%? That sounds like a GPU driver crash

Yeah, the fans are still running. I tried to move some files between SSDs so maybe that could cause the crash?

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Sounds like it's overheating. Can you check temps before crash or not enough time?

Not enough time anymore unfortunately, but I don't think it's overheating.

Just now, shur1ken999 said:

Yeah, the fans are still running. I tried to move some files between SSDs so maybe that could cause the crash?

If you tried moving instead of copying OS files, that could have destroyed your windows install. Data's still there, just reinstall windows on the new drive.

3 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Those connectors are just front panel connectors. Power and drive activity LEDs as well as power and reset switches

To be honest, I'm not sure what cables and ports I should connect together.

Just now, OddOod said:

If you tried moving instead of copying OS files, that could have destroyed your windows install. Data's still there, just reinstall windows on the new drive.

Oh I am sorry, I tried to copy it while still leaving those files on the original SSD. I wanted to move just OS and big gamed to the new SSD and leave the rest on the old one.

6 minutes ago, shur1ken999 said:

Oh I am sorry, I tried to copy it while still leaving those files on the original SSD. I wanted to move just OS and big gamed to the new SSD and leave the rest on the old one.

You can't just simply copy and paste the OS, unfortunately it doesn't work that way, so if you just simply copy and pasted it to the new drive, without using a proper cloning software it's probably just messed up. Your best course of action is to use a program such as Aomei or Macrium Reflect to do an actual clone from the old drive to the new one. 

If you want to move the OS and applications/games, you can't be picky, you have to move everything or nothing. Only other option is a fresh install of Windows with a data transfer. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, shur1ken999 said:

To be honest, I'm not sure what cables and ports I should connect together.

The big one which should be labelled USB should go on the header labelled USB
image.png.0019bfb97db30598e2ddcbda1fa858df.png

The little ones have individual labels and should be plugged into the header labelled PANEL
image.thumb.png.23a07e95d80e6aa82804610140304bb9.png

The top row will have, from left to right, Power LED -, Power LED +, PowerSW
The bottom row will have, from left to right, HDD LED with the printing on it pointed up towards the rest of the computer, a blank pin, then (if you have one) something labelled Reset SW

9 minutes ago, shur1ken999 said:

As for copying the OS files, that's not gonna work. There is some specific drive partitioning and configuring that has to go on to get it to boot from the new drive. It sounds like you're not very technical and I also generally don't recommend moving an install regardless. 
I would recommend installing windows on the new drive and moving games over after that.

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You can't just simply copy and paste the OS, unfortunately it doesn't work that way, so if you just simply copy and pasted it to the new drive, without using a proper cloning software it's probably just messed up. Your best course of action is to use a program such as Aomei or Macrium Reflect to do an actual clone from the old drive to the new one. 

If you want to move the OS and applications/games, you can't be picky, you have to move everything or nothing. Only other option is a fresh install of Windows with a data transfer. 

I think I used Acronis and Macrium Reflect and nothing did really work for me:/ What do you think I should do? Even if I remove the new SSD the PC still isn't working.

7 minutes ago, OddOod said:

The big one which should be labelled USB should go on the header labelled USB
image.png.0019bfb97db30598e2ddcbda1fa858df.png

The little ones have individual labels and should be plugged into the header labelled PANEL
image.thumb.png.23a07e95d80e6aa82804610140304bb9.png

The top row will have, from left to right, Power LED -, Power LED +, PowerSW
The bottom row will have, from left to right, HDD LED with the printing on it pointed up towards the rest of the computer, a blank pin, then (if you have one) something labelled Reset SW

Thanks a lot! You're a lifesaver! But unfortunately I don't have any Reset SW cabel in here, is it a problem?

3 minutes ago, shur1ken999 said:

I think I used Acronis and Macrium Reflect and nothing did really work for me:/ What do you think I should do? Even if I remove the new SSD the PC still isn't working.

You messed something up unfortunately. That's another risk of copying and pasting OS/System Files. Sometimes it could just move it instead of copying it depending on how you did it. I would recommend just doing a fresh install of Windows on the new drive. Once done, copy over necessary files and documents. Unless you have extremely slow internet it would probably be easier to redownload games rather than copy them to the new drive and show steam where they are.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

7 minutes ago, OddOod said:

As for copying the OS files, that's not gonna work. There is some specific drive partitioning and configuring that has to go on to get it to boot from the new drive. It sounds like you're not very technical and I also generally don't recommend moving an install regardless. 
I would recommend installing windows on the new drive and moving games over after that.

I created some partioning for the new SSD and after that I tried to copy it via Acronis, Macrium Reflect and some Kingston software but nothing did really work. What should I do?

2 minutes ago, shur1ken999 said:

is it a problem?

nope, just means there is no reset switch on the case

6 minutes ago, shur1ken999 said:

Can you get into BIOS? 

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

You messed something up unfortunately. That's another risk of copying and pasting OS/System Files. Sometimes it could just move it instead of copying it depending on how you did it. I would recommend just doing a fresh install of Windows on the new drive. Once done, copy over necessary files and documents. Unless you have extremely slow internet it would probably be easier to redownload games rather than copy them to the new drive and show steam where they are.

Alright, thanks a lot for all your help! How should I install it? The PC shuts down after few seconds.

Honestly, I'm tripling down on the Reinstall Windows option. There may be some way to recover the install, but even if you did it would likely have issues

Just now, OddOod said:

nope, just means there is no reset switch on the case

Can you get into BIOS? 

Unfortunately probably not quickly enough, because the PC is shutting down, but I can try. The BIOS was working and I could get into it when it lasted minutes before shutting down.

1 minute ago, shur1ken999 said:

Alright, thanks a lot for all your help! How should I install it? The PC shuts down after few seconds.

You'll need access to another computer and a USB stick. Then download the Windows Installer and use it to create an install USB with that stick (it will wipe the stick so don't use one with important stuff on it)

Then you'll boot, get into BIOS (varies by mobo manufacturer), set it to boot from USB, then reboot and it should boot into windows installation

1 minute ago, shur1ken999 said:

Unfortunately probably not quickly enough, because the PC is shutting down, but I can try. The BIOS was working and I could get into it when it lasted minutes before shutting down.

Okay..... that's very strange. I'd pull the drives and try booting

If that doesn't work, you've definitely got heat issues and you'll probably need to redo the thermal paste on the CPU

I tried to turn the PC on and it says: "PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD "

4 minutes ago, shur1ken999 said:

If it's shutting down randomly even when in bios you have a hardware issue as well. Either overheating or something isn't plugged in right. If the only change you have made is plugging in this new drive, the drive may just be bad.