MSI Tomahawk B450 bios update issues, solid CPU debug/error light, no post

Go to solution Solved by OddOod,

Welcome to the forums!
First, I would like to confirm that you had a cpu cooler on the mobo while it was updating the bios, is that the case?
Second, try the 3600x. It's possible that the bios update went through and it's just waiting on a new CPU
Third, it's possible the bios settings are in a weird state. Follow these instructions:
image.png.d6b5104fe0bc0278a67f5c4ad78ee57f.png

Fourth, it's possible the bios update failed, but is in a recoverable state. Insert the 1600, put your USB stick in the Flash BIOS Port (bottom of the stack closest to the Flash BIOS button) and follow the instructions
image.png.458c6fc76b58b638fe0565dd11e7ab94.png

image.png.f518f89b9b05c75e2735e0ee57026b82.png

Fifth, it's possible I've missed something and you're still safe

Sixth, it's possible the BIOS update failed in an unrecoverable state and the mobo is bricked

I have two Ryzen CPU's: 1600 & 3600x

The motherboard I'm using isn't one i've used before, I tried to use the 3600x off the bat but it did not post and the CPU error light turned on so I looked up why it might do that and found I needed to update my bios so the 3600x was supported.

First I tried to use the "flashback" functionality with the latest stable release but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work. I renamed the file "MSI.ROM", it was the only thing on the USB, no subdirectories, dos partition table, USB 2.0, 2gb, fat32, I tried some other USB sticks and older bios versoins, i reset the CMOS by taking the battery out, but no luck.

So I decided to take my 1600 out of my main desktop temporarily to just update my bios, it post and went to the bios menu although there was a dram error light and a pop up message about my ram not being in the optimal slots so i assumed they were related and continued not caring about what was optimal at this point.

Started to flash my bios, seemed it was going fine so took my eyes off it and started cleaning up some thermal paste, after a minute or two the computer powered down, I'm not sure if it's supposed to automatically power down or not after installing the bios so i just left it for a moment, it did nothing, i turned it on, and now it started to show a CPU error light with my 1600 installed. great.

So I remove the graphics card to reseat the ram in the 'optimal slots', i reseat the CPU, put everything back together, switch it on and still no post, red CPU error light taunting me lol.

And that's where i'm at right now, would appreciate any advice, thanks for taking the time to read.

Welcome to the forums!
First, I would like to confirm that you had a cpu cooler on the mobo while it was updating the bios, is that the case?
Second, try the 3600x. It's possible that the bios update went through and it's just waiting on a new CPU
Third, it's possible the bios settings are in a weird state. Follow these instructions:
image.png.d6b5104fe0bc0278a67f5c4ad78ee57f.png

Fourth, it's possible the bios update failed, but is in a recoverable state. Insert the 1600, put your USB stick in the Flash BIOS Port (bottom of the stack closest to the Flash BIOS button) and follow the instructions
image.png.458c6fc76b58b638fe0565dd11e7ab94.png

image.png.f518f89b9b05c75e2735e0ee57026b82.png

Fifth, it's possible I've missed something and you're still safe

Sixth, it's possible the BIOS update failed in an unrecoverable state and the mobo is bricked

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Hmm i am not sure how MSI mobos behave during BIOS flash, usually they either restart the system or stay at the end screen with a success message. Shutting down during BIOS is a great way to brick a mobo. Try to reset BIOS via the Clear CMOS jumpers or by removing the battery. Also try only with a single stick of RAM.

Edit:

Yeah first do what @OddOod said about the BIOS flash Button and then try CMOS clear switch.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

• 2 weeks later...

@OddOod Thank you for being so thorough! Not sure what I was doing wrong with the USB initially but following through with this I managed to update the bios and install the new cpu just fine 🙂