Poor performance if not booting again

Kevyyy1234

All right sooo, as the topic name says, my PC have really poor perfs if i dont restart it after powering it on. Not turning it off and then powering it again, no i need to restart it via the windows button.  If i dont restart it my PC give me like 50% of what he can give me....

Example : Helldivers 2 first boot : 100-110fps 

Restarted : 180-190fps

BF2042 First boot : 120-130fps

Restarted : 220-240fps

It's not a big problem as i just restart it and then it's all right BUT it's really annoying haha 

Does anyone of you already have to deal with this little problem ?

Specs : Cpu = 7950x3D

Gpu = 4090 Matrix

Ram = 64gb DDR5 5600 CL40

PSU = 1000W Msi MPG A1000G PCIE5

Thanks !

If you run a hardware monitor, what part looks to be responsible (e.g. is it clocks of the CPU or graphics?)?

Also check temps
It could be something buggy with windows, so I'd consider a reinstall. 
I assume your SSD isn't super full, that might have some issues. 
Have you verified file integrity and/or un/reinstalled?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

When your computer is having the performance issues before the restart install and run MSI Kombustor. If your GPU doesn't run at 90% usage or above while running Kombustor you most likely have the same problem as one of my clients. 

I've been working with a client for the last few months who also built a 7950X3D and RTX 4090 system. And is/was suffering from the same performance issues(except his graduated to not returning to normal after restarts). From what I can tell with his and a few others I've seen posting about the same things in a number of forums, it's an issue with the integrated graphics driver for the 7950X3D causing issues with the 4090, originally to fix it, I just uninstalled the iGPU drivers and AMD Adrenalin and made sure the iGPU was disabled in his bios and Device Manager, a DDU and fresh install of his 4090 drivers and he was good to go for a couple months, where it started happening again. We found that Windows(after an update) reinstalled the iGPU drivers, causing his performance to have issues again. I tried the same process again and no dice. Couldn't get his GPU to go above 65% usage no matter how hard I stressed it. So, I made sure iGPU was still disabled in bios, it wasn't, because had reset it trying to fix it himself. And then I reinstalled Windows 11 fresh. Making sure the iGPU is disabled in bios should insure Windows doesn't detect it all or try to install drivers or anything for it. That seems to have done the trick. Hopefully for good.

I would try, uninstalling the iGPU drivers in Device Manager, also if you have it installed get rid of AMD Adrenalin, once both are uninstalled boot into bios and disable the iGPU all together. Then restart. Once back in Windows run a DDU on both AMD, and Nvidia GPU options to insure all drivers are gone. Reinstall the Nvidia drivers via GeForce Experience. Hopefully it works for you. If it doesn't you may have to do a fresh install of Windows after disabling the iGPU in bios. Doing a bios update if you haven't already regardless may also help.

This has happened two times(some people in forums are reporting it always just comes back) to my client since building his 7950X3D/4090 system in September, I've built several 7800X3D systems paired with 4090s before and after that and have had no issues. My client has decided after the last time I fixed it with the reinstall that if it happens again he's switching to the 7800X3D or doing a full on platform swap to Intel. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Thanks i'll check it out for the drivers and do a harware monitor run to see what's going on. I just reinstall windows and it continues but never tought of uninstalling the igpu driver so i'll do that ! Thanks !!!

On 4/1/2024 at 4:53 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

This has happened two times(some people in forums are reporting it always just comes back) to my client since building his 7950X3D/4090 system in September, I've built several 7800X3D systems paired with 4090s before and after that and have had no issues. My client has decided after the last time I fixed it with the reinstall that if it happens again he's switching to the 7800X3D or doing a full on platform swap to Intel. 

Did you use the same motherboard? It seems weird that the 7950X3D would do this, but the 7800X3D doesn't.

1 hour ago, Tetras said:

Did you use the same motherboard? It seems weird that the 7950X3D would do this, but the 7800X3D doesn't.

I don't know if OP has the same motherboard, I've seen a few posts of users experiencing it and all have a combination of the 7950X3D and the 4090, from what info is available the motherboards vary. The problem only occurs when he installs, or Windows auto installs the iGPU drivers. And I know of at least two others who have the same issue(both have different boards than he does). The computer functions normally with the iGPU disabled in bios and the drivers removed. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 hour ago, Tetras said:

The swap hasn't been done, reread my reply. He is going to try swapping to a 7800X3D if the issue occurs again.

22 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The swap hasn't been done, reread my reply. He is going to try swapping to a 7800X3D if the issue occurs again.

You said that you have built several 7800X3D systems that had no problem, so I was asking you about those, in comparison to the 7950X3D build, but you answered the question indirectly by saying the boards vary in other posts you have seen.

41 minutes ago, Tetras said:

You said that you have built several 7800X3D systems that had no problem, so I was asking you about those, in comparison to the 7950X3D build, but you answered the question indirectly by saying the boards vary in other posts you have seen.

None of the 7800X3D systems I have worked on or put together use the same board that he has, his system was purchased and researched by himself, all I did was assemble it. I tend to find a good board and stick with it, all of the 7800X3D systems I have done use the same board and its a different model from what he used. His is also a very difficult board to work with, it arrived with a dead CMOS battery(a lot of this model shipped with dead or dying batteries, Gigabyte already released a statement) and essentially the entire board needs to be taken apart to change it, but that's a separate issue that was already resolved. If you're curious he has a Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master.