Doubt about PCIe Lanes

LordWk
Go to solution Solved by Tetras,
17 minutes ago, LordWk said:

Should I worry? Is it fine? Im losing tons of performance?

No.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/

Hey everyone,

Yesterday we found out we had a Gigabyte RTX 3070 which was left in the warehouse for like 2 years and they gave it to me.

Now that I've removed my RX 5700 and changed to the new one I looked up on the BIOS and it shows that my GPU is running at PCIe 3.0 8x. (because I have 2 NVMEs and one of them is sharing lanes with the GPU).

My motherboard is an ASUS B450-F STRIX

Should I worry? Is it fine? Im losing tons of performance? I usually play on my 1440p monitor. I've read tons of people that say that YES, I'm losing performance but when I watch video comparisons it looks... fine? Like margin of error FPS between x16 and x8. Bare in mind that I have PCIe 3.0, not 4.0.

Thanks in advance!

a.gif

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

5 minutes ago, LordWk said:

Hey everyone,

Yesterday we found out we had a Gigabyte RTX 3070 which was left in the warehouse for like 2 years and they gave it to me.

Now that I've removed my RX 5700 and changed to the new one I looked up on the BIOS and it shows that my GPU is running at PCIe 3.0 8x. (because I have 2 NVMEs and one of them is sharing lanes with the GPU).

My motherboard is an ASUS B450-F STRIX

Should I worry? Is it fine? Im losing tons of performance? I usually play on my 1440p monitor. I've read tons of people that say that YES, I'm losing performance but when I watch video comparisons it looks... fine? Like margin of error FPS between x16 and x8. Bare in mind that I have PCIe 3.0, not 4.0.

Thanks in advance!

a.gif

Probably fine. You are probably not losing more then like 5% performance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

5 minutes ago, Failure 101 said:

Probably fine. You are probably not losing more then like 5% performance.

Now I've noticed that GPU-Z shows it swapping between @ x8 3.0 to @ x8 2.0, but its swaps randomly. Is this behaviour normal?
Not needing to close the program either it just swaps live. (Seems to change to 3.0 when I actively use the gpu)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

4 minutes ago, LordWk said:

Now I've noticed that GPU-Z shows it swapping between @ x8 3.0 to @ x8 2.0, but its swaps randomly. Is this behaviour normal?

Yup if no extra data troughput is needed it swaps to lower bandwith for power and bandwith saving.

As for 3.0 x8 it's fine the 3070 doesn't show a performance difference between 3.0 x8 and x16

Thanks to all of you guys! 🙂