How do i secure my external Hard Drive?

IR76
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,

Vearcrypt

That's easiest, and best way honestly. I would recommend making two partitions. Make one that the is entirely encrypted. Then one that is not encrypted. This unencrypted on you can store things on, like veracrypt for example, and other useful utilities.

Veracrypt will work in Windows, Linux, and Mac, so from any OS. Also note, that Veracrypt has a portable version that does not need to be installed.

Other things parts of Veracrypt you may want to look into (hidden volumes, definitely):

Hidden Volume

This one you can read up on, but I wouldn't recommend, as if you lose your keyfile, you are screwed. You will not get your data back.

Keyfiles

I'm going to make a copy of years of family photos (I'm pretty sure there is no sensitive info but just in case) onto an external hard drive and give to to a trusted family member to store but I want to ensure its locked/encrypted whatever the official terms are but my question is what is the best way to do it and if its not just on my windows pc features then where? Thank you very much. 

Depends on which Windows variant you have. On the pro variants Bitlocker would be an option. Just be aware that using TPM to store the encryption key will bind that drive to your current motherboard. If that is toast, for whatever reason, you won't be able to access the data unless you have your recovery keys (and have backups of those, just in case).

If you don't have pro, there are free alternatives: https://technologyadvice.com/blog/information-technology/truecrypt-alternatives/

I assume the USB disk is intended as a backup and you have at least one other copy of the data somewhere else?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

If you have Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 10/11 Pro/Workstation/LTSC, you can use the built-in Bitlocker feature to encrypt the drive.

image.png.bb6798ed1b0922f52488e1d21fbe1706.png

The encryption key is stored in the TPM of the computer upon which the drive is encrypted, so if you wanted to use it on another computer you'd have to type quite a long recovery key.

Vearcrypt

That's easiest, and best way honestly. I would recommend making two partitions. Make one that the is entirely encrypted. Then one that is not encrypted. This unencrypted on you can store things on, like veracrypt for example, and other useful utilities.

Veracrypt will work in Windows, Linux, and Mac, so from any OS. Also note, that Veracrypt has a portable version that does not need to be installed.

Other things parts of Veracrypt you may want to look into (hidden volumes, definitely):

Hidden Volume

This one you can read up on, but I wouldn't recommend, as if you lose your keyfile, you are screwed. You will not get your data back.

Keyfiles

I'll point out that, Truecrypt (no longer an active project) and Veracrypt (the successor to Truecrypt) have both had security audits completed on them. These are available for review.

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Depends on which Windows variant you have. On the pro variants Bitlocker would be an option. Just be aware that using TPM to store the encryption key will bind that drive to your current motherboard. If that is toast, for whatever reason, you won't be able to access the data unless you have your recovery keys (and have backups of those, just in case).

If you don't have pro, there are free alternatives: https://technologyadvice.com/blog/information-technology/truecrypt-alternatives/

I assume the USB disk is intended as a backup and you have at least one other copy of the data somewhere else?

Seems a pretty big flaw in bitlocker so ill probably look at the others mentioned. Yes ive got copies. 

27 minutes ago, IR76 said:

Seems a pretty big flaw in bitlocker so ill probably look at the others mentioned. Yes ive got copies. 

It's not so much a flaw as it is a security improvement. Storing the encryption key in the TPM chip effectively makes it unrecoverable by anyone. But yes, it has its drawbacks, increasing security almost always has.

No matter what tool you use to encrypt your drive, backing up your encryption key is a must. Having a backup copy of your data is a must. If you lose the key, the data gets corrupted or the drive dies, your data is most likely unrecoverable.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

36 minutes ago, IR76 said:

It’s not a flaw at all. You need to keep your key or else it’s toast. It’s only tied to your MB to make life easier for you. But once you connect the drive to another PC and enter the code, it works just the same. You don’t lose anything if you have the key. 

6 hours ago, da na said:

The encryption key is stored in the TPM of the computer upon which the drive is encrypted, so if you wanted to use it on another computer you'd have to type quite a long recovery key.

what do you mean? 
It's external HDD, not OS drive, so you encrypt it in bitlocker by password, and it just works on any modern windows without installing anything (you only need the pro windows version for encryption, reading, anbd writing files can be done on any version of windows, even home)

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)