in desperate need for help.

GHOSTX1

hello user,

i am looking for some good, quiet 120mm/140mm fans.

they have to be on the budget side of things.

i have all ready tried

corsair af120 rgb elite and the artic p12 pwm.

they were not quiet. i had a lot of hope for the p12's but was dissapointed they make a whining noise and generally sound unnpleasant. 

hope you can help.

47 minutes ago, GHOSTX1 said:

hello user,

i have all ready tried

they were not quiet. i had a lot of hope for the p12's but was dissapointed they make a whining noise and generally sound unnpleasant. 

hope you can help.

I've got some Silent Wings from BeQuiet! And they are indeed silent, and move quite a bit of air. They're about $25-30 so idk if you consider that to be affordable. Definitely worth $25-30 though.

58 minutes ago, GHOSTX1 said:

hello user,

i have all ready tried

hope you can help.

Its not exactly that simple, as some fans are quiet at 100% because they move less air vs a a fan that is quiet at 50% but actually moves MORE air.

So when testing any fan, there is an element of trying to find the right fan curve that gets you enough airflow with acceptable noise.

Also your case will determine a lot of what you actually hear, can make some fans whine where in another case they wouldn't.

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I've got some Silent Wings from BeQuiet! And they are indeed silent, and move quite a bit of air. They're about $25-30 so idk if you consider that to be affordable. Definitely worth $25-30 though.

I have been impressed with BeQuiet, even though my go-to is usually Noctua.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Off the PC stores Be Quiet is probably the best you going to get.

Their PSUs are a good example of this.

Either Be Quiet or a brand I'm not aware of every single day, something 2010, which would only cost you less per fan... likely.

@Alex Atkin UK above makes some very good points about fans, the marketing and testing of them is pretty deceptive when you start looking into them. Im also with his opinion on going with Noctua's, which is mostly what i will do also cause of the quality and longevity. Phanteks, EK, Delta are some of my other faves. The easiest way to solve the quiet thing is to buy quality well made fans and hook them to  a tank of a fan controller like a Lamptron so you can put them at whatever speed you need for whatever your doing. That way it divorces your fans from any mobo/software shenanigans and you have dials that do what you tell them to do, as it should be. 😉

8 hours ago, AI_Must_Di3 said:

The easiest way to solve the quiet thing is to buy quality well made fans and hook them to  a tank of a fan controller like a Lamptron so you can put them at whatever speed you need for whatever your doing. That way it divorces your fans from any mobo/software shenanigans and you have dials that do what you tell them to do, as it should be. 😉

I just use FanControl which takes over the motherboard fan control, no point in wasting those headers.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

what version of the silent wings specifcaly ?

they are abit pricey.

13 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not exactly that simple, as some fans are quiet at 100% because they move less air vs a a fan that is quiet at 50% but actually moves MORE air.

So when testing any fan, there is an element of trying to find the right fan curve that gets you enough airflow with acceptable noise.

Also your case will determine a lot of what you actually hear, can make some fans whine where in another case they wouldn't.

I have been impressed with BeQuiet, even though my go-to is usually Noctua.

are the Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700's any good? looking for fans on the cheaper side i need two 140s and four 120mm, i have a nzxt n5 flow.

3 hours ago, GHOSTX1 said:

what version of the silent wings specifcaly ?

they are abit pricey.

I've got the 3's and even at 100% it's below the 28db noise floor in my room. I got mine about 4 years ago now (wow 2020 was a long time ago) and they haven't missed a beat.

The price me turned was for the 140mm, the 120's are usually $17-22

And if you don't mind a few more db of sound, and a little less airflow, the Pure wings 3 are great as well and often about 75% the price.

Have you tried adjusting your fan curve?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

3 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Have you tried adjusting your fan curve?

funny thing is i read through all the comments that others posted and i tried adjusting the fan curve. its working like a charm so far, do you think that having the fans turn off when im just watching a youtube video or something is ok? then automatically turn on when i start to play a game, or when the gpu gets hot 

17 hours ago, GHOSTX1 said:

funny thing is i read through all the comments that others posted and i tried adjusting the fan curve. its working like a charm so far, do you think that having the fans turn off when im just watching a youtube video or something is ok? then automatically turn on when i start to play a game, or when the gpu gets hot 

As long as it's not getting too hot, that's fine. My GC fans love taking naps 😴

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

On 3/30/2024 at 3:18 AM, GHOSTX1 said:

i had a lot of hope for the p12's but was dissapointed they make a whining noise and generally sound unnpleasant

with fan curves u can skip the rpm ranged with the whining.

ur options:

noctua 12x25 
phanteks T30
P12 Max
CM mobius 
CM mobius P ARGB 

On 4/1/2024 at 1:32 PM, RevGAM said:

As long as it's not getting too hot, that's fine. My GC fans love taking naps 😴

thats fine then, my rtx 2070 stays at 54/56 and  i5 12400f at 35/42. does that seem fine ?

7 hours ago, GHOSTX1 said:

thats fine then, my rtx 2070 stays at 54/56 and  i5 12400f at 35/42. does that seem fine ?

Very much so

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

12 hours ago, GHOSTX1 said:

Yup

On 3/29/2024 at 10:18 PM, GHOSTX1 said:

Arctic P12 or P14. Yw.