Is Google play protect enough?

Go to solution Solved by venomtail,
21 minutes ago, IR76 said:

I have a Google pixel 7a and im still new to android since switching from IOS my whole life and I want to make sure the security I have is good? I only download apps from the Google play store but I just like some reassurance to ensure play protect is a good enough anti virus software to take care of my device from malware as I get paranoid easily

As long as you use common sense all will be good. Basically 3 points.

1. If app says "download more RAM/Storage" 100% it's fake.
  2. If 99.9% of apps are paid but you find one for free, ask why is it free I.E. Free VPN's
  3. If lets say a bank says they have no Android app but you find one on the play store with their name 99% chance it's fake.

Same thinking and caution behind the "Virus found" pop up browser ads.

I have a Google pixel 7a and im still new to android since switching from IOS my whole life and I want to make sure the security I have is good? I only download apps from the Google play store but I just like some reassurance to ensure play protect is a good enough anti virus software to take care of my device from malware as I get paranoid easily

20 minutes ago, IR76 said:

It's all about having reasonable common sense. If an app only has a few ratings, you should avoid it. If it's a popular app... then it obviously does not have any viruses or malware because the many thousands of users before you would've reported issues already.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

21 minutes ago, IR76 said:

As long as you use common sense all will be good. Basically 3 points.

1. If app says "download more RAM/Storage" 100% it's fake.
  2. If 99.9% of apps are paid but you find one for free, ask why is it free I.E. Free VPN's
  3. If lets say a bank says they have no Android app but you find one on the play store with their name 99% chance it's fake.

Same thinking and caution behind the "Virus found" pop up browser ads.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

2 hours ago, IR76 said:

Speaking from experience as a former Android app developer, Google Play Protect means absolutely nothing. Period. I had my account hijacked before and malicious actors used it to publish apps that would steal sensitive user data and said apps were published in no time and got the "Verified by Play Protect" badge.

Also, Play Protect, as far as I know, only detects malware after the application has already been published for a certain period.

I once saw a "WhatsApp Spying" app that asked users for sensitive info like address, national ID (or whatever it's called in your country), a picture of yourself and the "target" you want to spy on, etc. And, despite users reporting it, it took Google almost a month to remove the app.

Yes, they sometimes do remove apps quickly, but only if enough noise has been made about them. The automated review process is absolute BULLSHIT.

TL;DR

Use common sense as others said, and never give apps permissions that they seemingly don't need unless the application clearly states why it needs said permissions.

Edited by Abdelfattah Radwan