ASUS Support Nightmare

Hi All, 
First of all, has anyone had terrible experiences with support for an item that is still clearly within warranty but ASUS UK will not support. Has anyone had this or am I the first?

To cut a long story short, I have a ASUS RT-AX86U Router (purchased in 2021, for £250) which according to ASUS's warranty checker is still in warranty (3 year warranty) until August 2024. Upon trying to start a warranty claim with them as the router decided to die about 2 weeks ago and stop working out of the blue. No lights/live in the unit. 

ASUS informed me that the routers warranty is not with them, its with the retailer as I purchased this router via a retailer. Upon thanking them for the info, I proceed to speak with the retailer (Amazon in this case). 

Amazon offers this product with 2 years of Amazon product support, which expired on 5 Jan 2024. This support is not linked in anyway shape or form to the warranty for the unit, so Amazon have said to me.

Amazon's response to my support request for warranty support, is there's nothing that they can do as their support is only two years and I will need to speak with ASUS as the warranty is with them. 

Now, I'm in a long battle it seems with Amazon telling me, there's nothing they can do and to speak with ASUS for warranty claim. With ASUS telling me that I will need to speak with Amazon for supporting my warranty, with ASUS telling Amazon to support my request. However, Amazon will not do anything further as their product support has ended and the warranty is not with them. 

I'm feeling very frustrated at the situation as no-one seems to want to grant me the products warranty and each side is pointing to the other. I just feel like I'm being past from pillar to post!

I'm really lost in what more I can do. 

This was my first and last time buying any ASUS product from Amazon. 

I hope everyone else's experience has been better than mine thus far. 

4 minutes ago, mattrulz12 said:

First of all, has anyone had terrible experiences with support for an item that is still clearly within warranty but ASUS UK will not support. Has anyone had this or am I the first?

There's a lot of people here and on other tech forums that will never buy an Asus product, so that tells a story.

5 minutes ago, mattrulz12 said:

ASUS informed me that the routers warranty is not with them, its with the retailer as I purchased this router via a retailer. Upon thanking them for the info, I proceed to speak with the retailer (Amazon in this case). 

In the UK, your contract is always with the retailer and the retailer should support the warranty, but they can advise you that a direct RMA to the manufacturer is in your best interest.

Many retailers no longer advertise the warranty of their products, which I believe is a deliberate policy.

Many manufacturers will not offer end-user RMAs AT ALL, but so far as I'm aware, Asus is not one of those.

Manufacturer warranties that you specifically extend or purchase are different to retail warranties, because the contract is then with the manufacturer and they can't opt-out of this kind of support.

5 minutes ago, Tetras said:

There's a lot of people here and on other tech forums that will never buy an Asus product, so that tells a story.

In the UK, your contract is always with the retailer and the retailer should support the warranty, but they can advise you that a direct RMA to the manufacturer is in your best interest.

Many retailers no longer advertise the warranty of their products, which I believe is a deliberate policy.

Many manufacturers will not offer end-user RMAs AT ALL, but so far as I'm aware, Asus is not one of those.

Manufacturer warranties that you specifically extend or purchase are different to retail warranties, because the contract is then with the manufacturer and they can't opt-out of this kind of support.

I agree, Amazon is one of those where you will be hard to locate a warranty period on their product pages. 
I just get the feeling that ASUS doesn't want to support any warranties for consumers.

I am also running the idea of just cutting my losses and just going Ubiquiti for home networking. 

1 minute ago, mattrulz12 said:

I agree, Amazon is one of those where you will be hard to locate a warranty period on their product pages. 
I just get the feeling that ASUS doesn't want to support any warranties for consumers.

I am also running the idea of just cutting my losses and just going Ubiquiti for home networking. 

Usually the best support comes from social media channels, so you might want to try kicking up a fuss on either twitter or facebook.

If you can find any proof in the listing of the warranty, or on the box, that might work to your favour.

I'd also assume when you talk to customer support that they have no idea of your history, so maybe present it to them like: "Amazon/Asus are refusing to support the 3 year warranty". I've seen Amazon step-in in the past when a manufacturer went bust, or refused a RMA, though perhaps that was within the 2 year support period that Amazon has declared.

In the product listing, I can see an entry for a "warranty card", if that says Asus are supporting it for three years, then I'd show that card to Asus, because that's not something Amazon have given you, it is between you and Asus.

12 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Usually the best support comes from social media channels, so you might want to try kicking up a fuss on either twitter or facebook.

If you can find any proof in the listing of the warranty, or on the box, that might work to your favour.

I'd also assume when you talk to customer support that they have no idea of your history, so maybe present it to them like: "Amazon/Asus are refusing to support the 3 year warranty". I've seen Amazon step-in in the past when a manufacturer went bust, or refused a RMA, though perhaps that was within the 2 year support period that Amazon has declared.

In the product listing, I can see an entry for a "warranty card", if that says Asus are supporting it for three years, then I'd show that card to Asus, because that's not something Amazon have given you, it is between you and Asus.

Ah, I will take a look around for the box, I know its here somewhere. 

From what I gather, this has nothing to do with Asus as you bought an extended warranty through Amazon.

You'll need to read the details of that agreement and see if they have any obligation to you or not (based on start/end dates, etc.). If you bought it Jan 5, 2021 (assuming this based on what you noted from Amazon), the Asus warranty carried you to 2022, then the Amazon extended warranty to Jan 5, 2024, and then you're past any form of coverage.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

24 minutes ago, Tetras said:

This ^. If Asus gave you 3 years of warranty, then you should get 3 years of warranty from Asus. If you show that they offer 3 years of warranty then it might work out in your favor. If it's on their product that they offer 3 years, then Asus should be giving you 3 years, regardless of what Amazon has to say. Also +1 on the social media idea, always worth a shot.

Also, I know there's an @Asus_NAsupport on here, maybe they can be of help? EDIT: Didn't realize you were in the UK, don't think NA support will be very helpful here. Sorry Asus Support lol

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

3 hours ago, WildDagwood said:

From what I gather, this has nothing to do with Asus as you bought an extended warranty through Amazon.

You'll need to read the details of that agreement and see if they have any obligation to you or not (based on start/end dates, etc.). If you bought it Jan 5, 2021 (assuming this based on what you noted from Amazon), the Asus warranty carried you to 2022, then the Amazon extended warranty to Jan 5, 2024, and then you're past any form of coverage.

You seem to be reading this wrong. Asus warranty is three years. He bought it in 2021, so Asus should have him covered until 2024 regardless of the two year amazon stuff.

10 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

You seem to be reading this wrong. Asus warranty is three years. He bought it in 2021, so Asus should have him covered until 2024 regardless of the two year amazon stuff.

Warranty checker is kinda worthless if the manufacturer requests a proof of purchase receipt and if he purchased it January 5, 2021 (since Amazon only provided 2 years of support which will be from the date of purchase...meaning it expired January 5, 2023), then they are out of warranty as ASUS manufacturer warranty of 3 years passed on January 5, 2024. The OP is then SOL. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Warranty checker is kinda worthless if the manufacturer requests a proof of purchase receipt and if he purchased it January 5, 2021 (since Amazon only provided 2 years of support which will be from the date of purchase...meaning it expired January 5, 2023), then they are out of warranty as ASUS manufacturer warranty of 3 years passed on January 5, 2024. The OP is then SOL. 

Ah good catch on when the 3 years was. I forgot that we are already in March.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Ah good catch on when the 3 years was. I forgot that we are already in March.

Yeah I'm basing it off of when the product support ended by Amazon on Jan 5 2024, so that tells me purchase date was Jan 5 2021 (since OP stated it was purchased then as well and if it's only two years of product support, well it can't have been purchased in 2021 then!). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

When did you specifically buy it? I find it interesting that if you had 2 years of Amazon support that it would expire on January 5th, 2024. If you count backwards from that date, you end up with January 5th, 2022, not 2021. Can you provide evidence that the router is actually still in warranty?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

When did you specifically buy it? I find it interesting that if you had 2 years of Amazon support that it would expire on January 5th, 2024. If you count backwards from that date, you end up with January 5th, 2022, not 2021. Can you provide evidence that the router is actually still in warranty?

I purchased it on 31 dec 2021 on Amazon. 
ASUS warranty support page shows its in warranty until Aug 2024. image.thumb.png.680aae77f7fbf3fb376a77499523e19e.png

14 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

This ^. If Asus gave you 3 years of warranty, then you should get 3 years of warranty from Asus. If you show that they offer 3 years of warranty then it might work out in your favor. If it's on their product that they offer 3 years, then Asus should be giving you 3 years, regardless of what Amazon has to say. Also +1 on the social media idea, always worth a shot.

Also, I know there's an @Asus_NAsupport on here, maybe they can be of help? EDIT: Didn't realize you were in the UK, don't think NA support will be very helpful here. Sorry Asus Support lol

Think I might have too maybe.. 
So the warranty card in the box states to go to account.asus.com for reviewing the warranty info. 
It's warranty card states that I have to return to dealer in the UK for a replacement. PDF linked on ASUS website - 17c6e832-c27e-4e42-94dc-999f5828f69e.pdf (asus.com)
image.png.eb8b4f060f22921ae22f5db6aef69818.png

Well, this isn't going to get any better now is it? 
I'm hoping that maybe armed with this info Amazon will now do something further. 

Edit: The box states 3 years warranty on it. 

12 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

You're right. Brain was mush from a lack of sleep and I totally misread it.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

3 hours ago, mattrulz12 said:

Think I might have too maybe.. 
So the warranty card in the box states to go to account.asus.com for reviewing the warranty info. 
It's warranty card states that I have to return to dealer in the UK for a replacement. PDF linked on ASUS website - 17c6e832-c27e-4e42-94dc-999f5828f69e.pdf (asus.com)
image.png.eb8b4f060f22921ae22f5db6aef69818.png

Well, this isn't going to get any better now is it? 
I'm hoping that maybe armed with this info Amazon will now do something further. 

Edit: The box states 3 years warranty on it. 

So even after quoting this to Amazon over the phone, they still are unable to do anything

4 hours ago, mattrulz12 said:

I purchased it on 31 dec 2021 on Amazon. 
ASUS warranty support page shows its in warranty until Aug 2024. image.thumb.png.680aae77f7fbf3fb376a77499523e19e.png

Then this is with ASUS. They are just trying to push you off so they don't have to spend money. 

Push back on ASUS. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 hour ago, mattrulz12 said:

So even after quoting this to Amazon over the phone, they still are unable to do anything

I don't sell PC hardware so I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that if a retailer chooses to stock and sell a product from x manufacturer, then they agree to their terms for handling the warranty.

If the manufacturer says they will not handle end-user direct RMA and then the retailer agrees and stocks their stuff anyway, they (Amazon) are likely to be breaking their terms. I would tell Asus that Amazon are refusing to process the warranty for you. You have more than enough evidence that you're entitled to support, with the Asus warranty registration and the box.

2 hours ago, Tetras said:

I don't sell PC hardware so I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that if a retailer chooses to stock and sell a product from x manufacturer, then they agree to their terms for handling the warranty.

If the manufacturer says they will not handle end-user direct RMA and then the retailer agrees and stocks their stuff anyway, they (Amazon) are likely to be breaking their terms. I would tell Asus that Amazon are refusing to process the warranty for you. You have more than enough evidence that you're entitled to support, with the Asus warranty registration and the box.

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous tbh, I would have thought the same thing.. 
This is Amazon's response that I have just responded to, detailing my previous emails with ASUS and snip about the warranty, picture of the box (that clearly shows 3 years warranty on it) as well as ASUS warranty card information. 

Think this is the last ditched hope that they will turn around and actually do something productive, if not then further actions may need to be taken. 

image.thumb.png.95d4317cde39eda349db1911e9051661.png

6 minutes ago, mattrulz12 said:

This is Amazon's response that I have just responded to, detailing my previous emails with ASUS and snip about the warranty, picture of the box (that clearly shows 3 years warranty on it) as well as ASUS warranty card information. 

Think this is the last ditched hope that they will turn around and actually do something productive, if not then further actions may need to be taken. 

image.thumb.png.95d4317cde39eda349db1911e9051661.png

You need to push back on ASUS. Show them that the router is still within warranty based on their own system. 

Regardless of whatever bullshit ASUS comes back with, it is their responsibility. Amazon is out of this. 

Edited by Godlygamer23

1 hour ago, mattrulz12 said:

From my understanding of it, behind the scenes, the manufacturers often do deals with the retailers and the warranty handling is one of those things that are up for negotiation. The warranty card that Asus provide makes it very clear: the retailer will process your warranty claim. Amazon are not being asked to provide a refund or replacement, they're being asked to service the warranty ("Dealer will pursue Asus warranty").

I believe large electronic retailers would usually just gather up a whole bunch of stuff and send it together to save on shipping costs, but they don't provide a refund or replacement unless they're asked to do so, or want to offer a quicker service.

On 3/27/2024 at 12:42 PM, mattrulz12 said:

I would try contacting the dealer on amazon that was selling it rather than amazon. 

I cancelled prime 2 months back for this sort of thing. 

4 hours ago, StarsMars said:

I would try contacting the dealer on amazon that was selling it rather than amazon. 

I cancelled prime 2 months back for this sort of thing. 

The dealer/seller was amazon.