PC build for my dad - Advice?

Hi there,

So, I built my own pc fully new probably 1 or 2 years ago with a 5900x and all the works and would upgrade to the new zen chips from AMD next in the coming years. However this is what is throwing me off sorting my dads pc out. His current pc is from 2016 and it was great then but not anymore. 

I am totally torn between going with a 5600 for him with the needed motherboard and new ram OR going with a 7600 on the new zen platform so he can upgrade as and when in the future. Problem is all in all that adds around £200 to the build going new zen when If I stick with a 5600 I would likely get him a decent m.2 as well. 

Just to put it into context his ram died out some time ago and he replaced it with some ddr3 at 1600... BOY is his pc slow under load and the worst part is he used to make a good living in IT! 

So plain and simply 5600? 7600? What are we thinking? He really doesnt need the most powerful of computers so I could even go down a notch but im just thinking if I spend more then no need to upgrade anytime soon. Yes I could go spend 1k+ on it but he really won't make use of anything crazy powerful I just want a good middle ground to last at least 4/5 yrs. I have also read a few horror stories of Zen 4's and their motherboards/ram getting upset and this isn't something that I want to be tinkering with. Just needs to be a plug and play situation for 4/5yrs so with that in mind 5600 best option?

I am only buying the CPU, MOBO, RAM and likely a 1tb decent m.2. Im giving him an Meshify C case that I had from a previous build. 

Will the 5600 be decent enough for 4/5 yrs use. (GPU is a 970 which im not dealing with right now as id like to see how is PC goes with decent ram and cpu first). 

Budget (including currency): Under 500 can happily go over if justified. 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Some photoshop and probably the most hardware intensive game he plays would be world of tanks

16 minutes ago, JeffTheSquid said:

Hi there,

So, I built my own pc fully new probably 1 or 2 years ago with a 5900x and all the works and would upgrade to the new zen chips from AMD next in the coming years. However this is what is throwing me off sorting my dads pc out. His current pc is from 2016 and it was great then but not anymore. 

I am totally torn between going with a 5600 for him with the needed motherboard and new ram OR going with a 7600 on the new zen platform so he can upgrade as and when in the future. Problem is all in all that adds around £200 to the build going new zen when If I stick with a 5600 I would likely get him a decent m.2 as well. 

Just to put it into context his ram died out some time ago and he replaced it with some ddr3 at 1600... BOY is his pc slow under load and the worst part is he used to make a good living in IT! 

So plain and simply 5600? 7600? What are we thinking? He really doesnt need the most powerful of computers so I could even go down a notch but im just thinking if I spend more then no need to upgrade anytime soon. Yes I could go spend 1k+ on it but he really won't make use of anything crazy powerful I just want a good middle ground to last at least 4/5 yrs. I have also read a few horror stories of Zen 4's and their motherboards/ram getting upset and this isn't something that I want to be tinkering with. Just needs to be a plug and play situation for 4/5yrs so with that in mind 5600 best option?

I am only buying the CPU, MOBO, RAM and likely a 1tb decent m.2. Im giving him an Meshify C case that I had from a previous build. 

Will the 5600 be decent enough for 4/5 yrs use. (GPU is a 970 which im not dealing with right now as id like to see how is PC goes with decent ram and cpu first). 

Budget (including currency): Under 500 can happily go over if justified. 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Some photoshop and probably the most hardware intensive game he plays would be world of tanks

I'm not sure AM5's upgradability is an advantage here. If his last PC lasted 8 years, then I'd guess that by the time a 5600 or 7600 equipped PC stops being enough (maybe 2030-2032 (does depend on use case)) AM5 might be dead and buried.

AMD's promise was only to support AM5 until atleast 2025 and therefore there is every chance we will only see one more generation of CPUs on the AM5 platform before they turn round and launch ***AM6*** in 2026/7. By 2030 they could even have launched ***AM7***. If that is the case, upgrading an AM5 system in 2030 will make very little sense.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

10 minutes ago, JeffTheSquid said:

What is the bottleneck under load and what kind of load are we talking about? It is hard to say "oh, yes, a 5600 will be fine for 4/5 years", when it isn't clear where the problem is.

In my experience of old PCs that are only lightly used, the most important thing is having a SSD instead of a hard drive, the second is having enough RAM (the speed doesn't matter much, but the quantity does).

45 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

I'm not sure AM5's upgradability is an advantage here. If his last PC lasted 8 years, then I'd guess that by the time a 5600 or 7600 equipped PC stops being enough (maybe 2030-2032 (does depend on use case)) AM5 might be dead and buried.

AMD's promise was only to support AM5 until atleast 2025 and therefore there is every chance we will only see one more generation of CPUs on the AM5 platform before they turn round and launch ***AM6*** in 2026/7. By 2030 they could even have launched ***AM7***. If that is the case, upgrading an AM5 system in 2030 will make very little sense.

I can't remember where but there was a timeline graph with 2028 being last year of AM5 product releases. Of course, as long as whatever's planned for 2028 isn't canned. Then again, 5500X3D and 5700X3D did just come out (well was meant to Q1 this year, still yet to find any on sale), some 8 years into AM4's life time. If AMD does the miracle again 2022 AM5 release + 8 years of support like AM4 we can see 2030 as a possibility.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

1 hour ago, venomtail said:

I can't remember where but there was a timeline graph with 2028 being last year of AM5 product releases. Of course, as long as whatever's planned for 2028 isn't canned. Then again, 5500X3D and 5700X3D did just come out (well was meant to Q1 this year, still yet to find any on sale), some 8 years into AM4's life time. If AMD does the miracle again 2022 AM5 release + 8 years of support like AM4 we can see 2030 as a possibility.

I agree that it is possible for AM5 to be relevant in 2030, but I felt it was worth pointing out that it is not a certainty.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station