I have GTX 1650 and i5-7500 i was considering upgrading.

Hello, I have a question, I currently have a GTX 1650 and an i5 7500, I was looking for an upgrade, I was thinking about buying a GTX 1080/1080ti but I'm not sure if the GPU will be too powerful for this processor, do you have any suggestions, I would like to spend about $120-160.

My whole setup:

i5 7500

gtx 1650 

500w power suply

16gb ddr4 ram

msi b250 pro-vd

1080p minitor (75Hz)

no it wouldn't be, but that barely would be any "upgrade" though.

"IF DREW DIDN'T FILM IT, THEN IT AIN'T FILMED RIGHT" 🥶

Depends if your games are choking on CPU's slowness or not, could be determined by the types of games you play.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

The i5-7500 is reaching the end of usefulness in the most recent games, but if you mainly play older games (especially from the quad core era) then it would allow you to turn the settings up.

If it was me, I wouldn't bother until you upgrade the CPU, but if you're desperate then it might give you what you want.

Personally, I would just get a used GPU and CPU as an upgrade, making sure the CPU has at least 6 cores with a high GHz count. Like this!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rJFxx6

Remember, I suggest used parts, 1080 Tis that are brand new are way too expensive, and just make sure to ask the seller what it was used for, don't want no cards that were used for mining.

59 minutes ago, zinco said:

no it wouldn't be, but that barely would be any "upgrade" though.

I did some research, it's over 125% better, definitely an upgrade, not a good one, but if they want cheaper, older cards are best. 

46 minutes ago, zombiepunk10 said:

Personally, I would just get a used GPU and CPU as an upgrade, making sure the CPU has at least 6 cores with a high GHz count. Like this!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rJFxx6

Remember, I suggest used parts, 1080 Tis that are brand new are way too expensive, and just make sure to ask the seller what it was used for, don't want no cards that were used for mining.

That cpu doesn't work on their board. That and the 9400f is a PURE 6 core no HT it has been struggling in games to not stutter for years already. Bad upgrade.

Op what is the make and model of your PSU? 500w tells us nothing about the quality of the unit.

As for upgrades depending on the games you play but a 4core i5 is just not enough for anything really since 2018 without stutters.

44 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That cpu doesn't work on their board. That and the 9400f is a PURE 6 core no HT it has been struggling in games to not stutter for years already. Bad upgrade.

Op what is the make and model of your PSU? 500w tells us nothing about the quality of the unit.

As for upgrades depending on the games you play but a 4core i5 is just not enough for anything really since 2018 without stutters.

The CPU was just an example that I chose at random, they should still go for a 6 core CPU

1 hour ago, zombiepunk10 said:

The CPU was just an example that I chose at random, they should still go for a 6 core CPU

With hyperthreading at least a 6 core 12 threads.

For op a budget upgrade option new would be a i5 12400f or ryzen 5600 however due to also needing a board that will be over budget