10 Giagibt network items reccomendation

Hello,

We just got the option to upgrade our home network to 10 Gigabit internet, so we did since it was inexpensive in my country.
So my mission now is to upgrade our network peripherals to support the new high speeds. I live in a two story house and our current network setup is like this:

We have the main router, which is connected to the outside fiber via some converter box that was installed by the ISP, then from the main router we have connected a fiber optic cable that goes between floors into another router. The fiber is connected to both routers via some sort of media converter (I don't really know what it is, my tech savy relative reccomended it to us). The router acts as a extender yet a second wifi to our main one and we also have a switch connected to the router. 

Currently only the main router and eveything the ISP installed supports 10G but everything else only supports 1G. So I need some recomendations on good network perrhiperals.

• 10 gig Switch
  • 10 gig media converter (I think that's whats it called)
  • and preferabl a 10g wifi extender rather than a 10g router since I kinda just want to have one wifi connection instead of two

Thank you all in advance 

3 hours ago, Arirock said:

Hello,

We just got the option to upgrade our home network to 10 Gigabit internet, so we did since it was inexpensive in my country.
So my mission now is to upgrade our network peripherals to support the new high speeds. I live in a two story house and our current network setup is like this:

We have the main router, which is connected to the outside fiber via some converter box that was installed by the ISP, then from the main router we have connected a fiber optic cable that goes between floors into another router. The fiber is connected to both routers via some sort of media converter (I don't really know what it is, my tech savy relative reccomended it to us). The router acts as a extender yet a second wifi to our main one and we also have a switch connected to the router. 

Currently only the main router and eveything the ISP installed supports 10G but everything else only supports 1G. So I need some recomendations on good network perrhiperals.

• 10 gig Switch
  • 10 gig media converter (I think that's whats it called)
  • and preferabl a 10g wifi extender rather than a 10g router since I kinda just want to have one wifi connection instead of two

Thank you all in advance 

You can simply change the SSID on the second router to be the same as the first, then any WiFi devices will just connect to the strongest signal.  It wont be as seamless as a mesh system, but that may require replacing both routers or at least not using the WiFi on either and having two mesh devices instead for the WiFi.  But its probably not worth replacing the WiFi at all yet as most devices are going to top out around Gigabit anyway.

For now I'd focus on getting a 10G switch with at least one SFP+ port and put it BEFORE the second router.  That way you can have the media conversion done in the switch itself with a SFP+ adapter.

Is the fibre plugged directly into a SFP+ adapter in the main router or is it copper going into a media converter at that end?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I need to update my router anyway to one that supports 10G. So I would like to use the oppurtinuty and get a wifi extender.

The fibre is copper going into a media converter. Do you know of any good router with SFP+ port that supports 10G?

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You can simply change the SSID on the second router to be the same as the first, then any WiFi devices will just connect to the strongest signal.  It wont be as seamless as a mesh system, but that may require replacing both routers or at least not using the WiFi on either and having two mesh devices instead for the WiFi.  But its probably not worth replacing the WiFi at all yet as most devices are going to top out around Gigabit anyway.

For now I'd focus on getting a 10G switch with at least one SFP+ port and put it BEFORE the second router.  That way you can have the media conversion done in the switch itself with a SFP+ adapter.

Is the fibre plugged directly into a SFP+ adapter in the main router or is it copper going into a media converter at that end?

I need to update my router anyway to one that supports 10G. So I would like to use the oppurtinuty and get a wifi extender.

The fibre is copper going into a media converter. Do you know of any good router with SFP+ port that supports 10G?