Intel Arc and Linux - What is the current state?

DJRWolf

I have an older Dell mid tower that I use as a HTPC but it's built in HDMI port is only 1.4b so it is limited to 4k@30Hz and I have been wanting to get around to getting a GT 1030 that is only 53w TDP to get an HDMI 2.0 port but I recently saw some videos low power Arc A310 and A380LP that look interesting. One of the biggest problems I can see with the A380LP is the controls that I can use to keep the power under the limits of the proprietary PSU is Windows only. I am on Windows 10 for now but it is "not compatible" with Window 11 so once W10 hits EOL I will be switching it to Linux Mint but wanted to know if I should stick with the GT1030 for driver support.

With how fast Intel has been improving their drivers it is hard to find current information on the state of Arc Linux drivers without having one myself already.

As far as I’m aware arc performs basically the same on Linux as it does in windows. It’s just Linux doesn’t have arc control, which lets you handle the clocks, fan speed, etc.

Should be no different otherwise. Linux gets mainstream driver updates right alongside the windows driver updates for arc.

43 minutes ago, 8tg said:

As far as I’m aware arc performs basically the same on Linux as it does in windows. It’s just Linux doesn’t have arc control, which lets you handle the clocks, fan speed, etc.

Should be no different otherwise. Linux gets mainstream driver updates right alongside the windows driver updates for arc.

I'd assume it doesn't yet, as the Arc optimised driver is coming in kernel 6.8 which most distros will be getting in their next release.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd assume it doesn't yet, as the Arc optimised driver is coming in kernel 6.8 which most distros will be getting in their next release.

It is on Windows 10 now and with the end of support for it in October 2025 I am going to keep it on Windows until Mint 22 or 22.1 are out then make the switch so the 6.8 kernel should be in by then. Something like the Arc A310 would be on Windows for at least another 6-9 months so even more time for Intel to develop the drivers.