LG C9 with Radeon 7900XTX VRR but tearing

Hi all,

I recently finally upgraded my rig. One big reason for it was getting HDMI 2.1 with VRR, to get full use of my LG C9 which supports VRR.

I enabled it on driver side and TV side (Instant Game responds is activated and I also get the info, that it is in fact active when my PC signal is selected, HDMI Ultra Deep Color also.)

Sadly, I get relevant screen tearing. (It is really bad, even I have scenes, which are not moving so fast and at 90 fps I am wondering how it would be this bad even without vrr at all.)

I can notice this on Witcher 3, which definetly runs lower than 120 fps, so it really should not happen with vrr, correct?

Sadly LG does not allow meaningfull debug info on their side and all I can see on PC side, that it is in fact active.

Am I mistaken, that vrr fixes screen tearing, or is it not working correctly? Can I do anything about it?

Is FreeSync enabled in Adrenaline? If not and you can't enable it, you may want to watch this. 

Does it happen with all games? I still get some infrequent tearing on my 3070 on my C3 and my PC monitor with an Nvidia chip (older model). Sometimes it depends on the game and sometimes it goes away after the "warms up." Sounds weird... but like Rocket League will having tearing when I start a game and look around, but it goes away by the time I can move my car. 

2 minutes ago, johnt said:

I still get some infrequent tearing on my 3070 on my C3

Zero tearing should occur if you're within the VRR range (under 120fps). A framerate cap of around 118fps or VSync should be used to ensure you never go over. (C2 user)

Regardless their C9 is a bit older. 

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Zero tearing should occur if you're within the VRR range (under 120fps). A framerate cap of around 118fps or VSync should be used to ensure you never go over. (C2 user)

Regardless their C9 is a bit older. 

It's so minor and it goes away. My 1070 had the same behavior so I never thought about it too much. Vsync completely clears it but it's not worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

It is enabled, and I get below 120 fps. I will have to check if it also happens with other games, but as I understand this technology, it does not matter, right?

I also assume it should be exclusive fullscreen, to assure it works. But that should be enabled, but I will double check.

Also thanks for the answers and sorry for the late reply. Did not get an email and forgot about it, as I am currently playing on my monitor...