Unbootble device and windows xp

cekcons

Hi everyone !

I do have a special computer for a automatic system and it uses a very old small pc with windows xp on it.

Sadly cf card with windows install is dead. Hopefuly i had a back up and restored the back up on a new cf card.

But no boot - just "missing operating system" ..... I have same device with working one and i tried to swap cards but no dice.

I checked a lot of bios settings still no result. I tried to boot a new windows xp install still no boot. Any advice would help thanks.

8 minutes ago, cekcons said:

Hi everyone !

I do have a special computer for a automatic system and it uses a very old small pc with windows xp on it.

Sadly cf card with windows install is dead. Hopefuly i had a back up and restored the back up on a new cf card.

But no boot - just "missing operating system" ..... I have same device with working one and i tried to swap cards but no dice.

I checked a lot of bios settings still no result. I tried to boot a new windows xp install still no boot. Any advice would help thanks.

Was this "backup" a full disk image?

Is the drive formatted as MBR, and were the MBR and bootloader written properly?

Is the new CF card set in fixed disk mode?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

thanks for reply - i tried both fixed and removable but no help

Yes backup was full disk image.

Its mbr and i do belive its written properly becuase i can get a boot screen on a normal computer (gets a blue screen after that cause not competible but boots!)

21 minutes ago, cekcons said:

i tried to swap cards but no dice.

Did the problem follow the card or the device?

Seems like the problem could be the PC itself, not the card/install.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Did the problem follow the card or the device?

Seems like the problem could be the PC itself, not the card/install.

thanks for reply ! cf card was dead. I can see the new or one i borrowed from other machine do list on bios.

But so far nothing. Tho - my friend said he booted a xp (and had a bluescreen) and for somereason he didnt tell me until now 😞

If the device is the problem is there a way around it ?

I mean if you can't even do a fresh install and an install that works on another identical machine doesn't work it suggests the machine is faulty. Could try reseating any removable component, swapping the RAM...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Could also be the CF adapter took itself and the card out. I’ve had that happen on a 98SE machine with a low quality ide-CF adapter.