Best cpu for modded minecraft server with friends

Lately I've been running my nodded server on some old hardware and I've been wondering about upgrading my server. Current hardware is a intel i7-3770 (non k) with 32GB of ram and a SSD. Runs fine most of the time. But there is definitely room for improvement. Anyone know of any solid setups that I could build to be able to run my server with no performance issues? I've seen that minecraft is a single thread game so would it be best to get a single core Intel cpu with a high clock speed? I'm not sure here.

you can just buy a last gen i3, sure it's worse than a more expensive cpu, but the perfomance per $ is the best, because of the fewer cores that minecraft wont use anyway

modded minecraft servers, essentially, use one and a half thread. the tick thread will stuff up and lag way before any offloaded stuff fills an entire thread.

the "best cpu" is complicated.. because minecraft is a weird beast, and you can hugely overspend for percents more performance.

best you get something that's at least dualcore, with the fastest single core performance (performance, not clock speed.. look at benchmarks) you can find within the budget you have in mind.

What's your budget? To get any noticeable improvement you'll have to upgrade the platform (CPU, Mobo, RAM). As above; single core performance is king when it comes to MC servers, so if that's your only use case, bang for buck wise I'd consider a used i5, perhaps a 12600k or even an i3 12100. That way you have an upgrade path to a better CPU for general gaming and other more multi-threaded tasks later down the line. 

3 minutes ago, hopgop1 said:

What's your budget? To get any noticeable improvement you'll have to upgrade the platform (CPU, Mobo, RAM). As above; single core performance is king when it comes to MC servers, so if that's your only use case, bang for buck wise I'd consider a used i5, perhaps a 12600k or even an i3 12100. That way you have an upgrade path to a better CPU for general gaming and other more multi-threaded tasks later down the line. 

Noted, yeah I wasn't aware of the difference between clock speed and single core performance. I'll look into it and possibly go with the i5 if I can find one on the marketplace or something. Thanks

2 minutes ago, aaron4k said:

Noted, yeah I wasn't aware of the difference between clock speed and single core performance. I'll look into it and possibly go with the i5 if I can find one on the marketplace or something. Thanks

No worries, as a quick and dirty way Google single core CPU performance chart, it won't be benchmarked with Minecraft obviously, but as a quick way to see what CPU is faster for your application (and single core is the only metric I'd care about for your application) it's a good bet. 

Used will absolutely be the best value for this.

1 hour ago, aaron4k said:

Lately I've been running my nodded server on some old hardware and I've been wondering about upgrading my server. Current hardware is a intel i7-3770 (non k) with 32GB of ram and a SSD. Runs fine most of the time. But there is definitely room for improvement. Anyone know of any solid setups that I could build to be able to run my server with no performance issues? I've seen that minecraft is a single thread game so would it be best to get a single core Intel cpu with a high clock speed? I'm not sure here.

There's a lot of engine limitations as well. I would look at the 12600k(f) which are around $180 right now. Probably the best value CPU on the market atm. LGA1700 DDR4 boards are inexpensive too. The non-F SKU if you don't have a spare dGPU lying around, but for this use, I'd just get the 12600k.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 hour ago, hopgop1 said:

No worries, as a quick and dirty way Google single core CPU performance chart, it won't be benchmarked with Minecraft obviously, but as a quick way to see what CPU is faster for your application (and single core is the only metric I'd care about for your application) it's a good bet. 

Used will absolutely be the best value for this.

Sure thing

The Ryzen 5600 would be the best valued processor for Minecraft hosting: comparable gaming performance with Core i5-12400, and lower overall costs. Although Minecraft plays better with pricier processors, it can also be optimized by various mods such as Concurrent Chunk Management Engine, Lithium and Ferrite Core, some of which would make it multi-threaded, resulting in lower MSPT.🤔