Best Price to Performance (Non-gaming) Laptop, under $1,000 usd

I'm really just looking for a good personal Laptop, I do a lot of traveling for work, so nothing massive.

I do a lot of work in BlueBeam Revu, I'm an engineer, but i don't need a daily driver, just something I can pull out on the fly and make quick adjustments if needed as well as simple things like checking email and browsing the web if needed.

Key point I would like to have include:

• USB C charging
  • USB C Connectivity
  • AUX
  • Preferably under the $800 mark, but $1,000 is the budget
  • A brand that doesn't start with a "D" 
  • Intel would be preferred for this type of work.

I think that pretty much sums up what I am looking for. I have already found a couple that I like but I'm not quick to pull the trigger, as I have failed in the past MANY times to pick a decent unit. Both my Dell and HP units just... were lacking? The only one I have owned so far that I actually enjoyed was my Lenvo ThinkPad, but that was before I started on my current career path.

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Call Me Mav said:

I'm really just looking for a good personal Laptop, I do a lot of traveling for work, so nothing massive.

I do a lot of work in BlueBeam Revu, I'm an engineer, but i don't need a daily driver, just something I can pull out on the fly and make quick adjustments if needed as well as simple things like checking email and browsing the web if needed.

Key point I would like to have include:

• USB C charging
  • USB C Connectivity
  • AUX
  • Preferably under the $800 mark, but $1,000 is the budget
  • A brand that doesn't start with a "D" 
  • Intel would be preferred for this type of work.

I think that pretty much sums up what I am looking for. I have already found a couple that I like but I'm not quick to pull the trigger, as I have failed in the past MANY times to pick a decent unit. Both my Dell and HP units just... were lacking? The only one I have owned so far that I actually enjoyed was my Lenvo ThinkPad, but that was before I started on my current career path.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't need several hours of battery life, previous generation gaming laptops and the CPUs in those are worth the extra money, especially for any productivity. U series laptops just lack on that front, even for advanced multitasking.

ASUS ROG Flow X13 13.4" Touchscreen Gaming Laptop 1920 x 1200 FHD AMD Ryzen 9 with 16GB Memory 512GB SSD Off Black GV302XA-X13.R9512 - Best Buy

This one is interesting since its designed to game on the XG Mobile eGPU. In this case, beneficial, since you don't have a dGPU you won't need but a very capable CPU. Probably one of the few devices on the market with that CPU that also uses type-c to charge, since it can fall within the 100W type-c power delivery envelope (it can go above that, but its not common).

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

46 minutes ago, Agall said:

If you don't need several hours of battery life, previous generation gaming laptops and the CPUs in those are worth the extra money, especially for any productivity. U series laptops just lack on that front, even for advanced multitasking.

ASUS ROG Flow X13 13.4" Touchscreen Gaming Laptop 1920 x 1200 FHD AMD Ryzen 9 with 16GB Memory 512GB SSD Off Black GV302XA-X13.R9512 - Best Buy

This one is interesting since its designed to game on the XG Mobile eGPU. In this case, beneficial, since you don't have a dGPU you won't need but a very capable CPU. Probably one of the few devices on the market with that CPU that also uses type-c to charge, since it can fall within the 100W type-c power delivery envelope (it can go above that, but its not common).

Damn thats a steal for a flow x13

13 hours ago, Agall said:

Thanks!, ill be checking this out.

1 hour ago, Call Me Mav said:

Thanks!, ill be checking this out.

Btw they have the new intel ones but the old ones are actuaply better (the one linked here) as the new intel ones overheat due to having waaaaay too power hungry of a cpu in them. Basically meaning you get no better cpu performance. Also battery life is a bit better on these amd ones.

So pretty much you only win by skipping the latest version 😛