Vizio OLED and Windows HDR

ThePotatoMan1248
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

The TV uses dynamic tone mapping to try to fit high nit content into it's lower brightness capabilities. This is completely normal, and it's how every OLED TV works out of the box. There should be a setting in the TV that allows you to disable dynamic tone mapping or set it to HGIG. If you do that, the calibration tool should be more accurate to the TV's capabilities. But keep in mind that turning off dynamic tone mapping will result in a dimmer experience. It won't change the peak brightness of your TV, but dynamic tone mapping will often overbrighten most HDR content for more "wow" effect.

I never had a Vizio TV, so I don't know what the setting is called in their OS and if you can even disable it. Some brands like Samsung are also notorious for their forced tone mapping that users can't turn off without diving into the service menu.

So I got lucky and found myself with a $500 Vizio oled tv. I got my windows 11 machine up and running great I beautiful 4k 120 HDR looks a feels incredible. Here's my problem in the windows HDR calibration tool it never goes fully white until it's set to 2800 max on the slider. And then it reports as 10,000 nits I know this tvs max is around 800 in a small window. The question is should I just not use a profile, use it at max and maybe to tv tone maps it down or set it to 800. Will it clip if I set it too high?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/oled-2020

Screenshot_20240319_084928_Chrome.jpg

The TV uses dynamic tone mapping to try to fit high nit content into it's lower brightness capabilities. This is completely normal, and it's how every OLED TV works out of the box. There should be a setting in the TV that allows you to disable dynamic tone mapping or set it to HGIG. If you do that, the calibration tool should be more accurate to the TV's capabilities. But keep in mind that turning off dynamic tone mapping will result in a dimmer experience. It won't change the peak brightness of your TV, but dynamic tone mapping will often overbrighten most HDR content for more "wow" effect.

I never had a Vizio TV, so I don't know what the setting is called in their OS and if you can even disable it. Some brands like Samsung are also notorious for their forced tone mapping that users can't turn off without diving into the service menu.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

27 minutes ago, ThePotatoMan1248 said:

The question is should I just not use a profile

As @Stahlmann mentioned you can try to find a way to disable automatic tone mapping and use HGiG or just set the tool to 800 manually. I really don't enjoy the HGiG mode on my C2 and instead just manually set 800 in the tool. I also used CRU to set the max luminosity (127 in CRU).