Possible broken power supply??

techfich

I have had this pc for about a month now and then the power supply started making clicking noises, I just switched the cable out and then it was gone. And after a week it comes back, and then just dissapear after a day or so.
Ive tried to buy a new cable but the same thing happens. And i tried to look inside the cable and it looked like something was burnt or something, so i dont know if it is the power supply or just the cable that is loose or something.

The power supply is a HP Z230 704427-001 400W 92%. I dont know how old it is. I i know that it has enough wattage for the rest of the pc. I dont overclock anything. i dont push it that much.

you can listen to the clicking noise

3 minutes ago, techfich said:

i tried to look inside the cable and it looked like something was burnt or something

unplug the the machine and throw the power supply away before you burn your house down then as nothing that it electrically burn't is smart to use.

only continue to use the unit if you don't care about the pc or house it's in.

Time for a new or different one. Probably best if you never purchase anything with an HP logo on it if you can avoid it.

3 minutes ago, johnt said:

Time for a new or different one. Probably best if you never purchase anything with an HP logo on it if you can avoid it.

i cant afford😰😰😰

5 minutes ago, techfich said:

i cant afford😰😰😰

can you afford a house because that costs a lot more than a power supply

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

unplug the the machine and throw the power supply away before you burn your house down then as nothing that it electrically burn't is smart to use.

only continue to use the unit if you don't care about the pc or house it's in.

No like this burnt:

IMG_0892.jpeg

11 minutes ago, techfich said:

No like this burnt:

IMG_0892.jpeg

Please stop using this now. That psu already tried to catch on fire once. This is actually a firebomb. Stop using the pc and do not use till you can get a new psu.

Unplug from power and DO NOT use it again. This is a GENUINE HIGH FIRE RISK. Psu's in this state do not tend to go quietly it's literally making soft sparking noises. This is BAD.

19 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Please stop using this now. That psu already tried to catch on fire once. This is actually a firebomb. Stop using the pc and do not use till you can get a new psu.

Unplug from power and DO NOT use it again. This is a GENUINE HIGH FIRE RISK. Psu's in this state do not tend to go quietly it's literally making soft sparking noises. This is BAD.

Thank you for the help😶

25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

But can you recommend me a 450w power supply. Idk if i need to have one that blows the air out of the pc or what because i can only have it so it will blow hot air in the pc. 

1 hour ago, johnt said:

I dont think it is because its an hp, it is  around 10 years old

46 minutes ago, techfich said:

What is that adapter for?

The z230 uses a proprietary motherboard psu connector so you need an adapter for it. It's so you couldn't easily replace stuff without paying hp tax.

People made these adapters as these became VERY popular office pc to gaming pc rebuilts. The motherboards still use the regular atx spec for power they just don't use the full 24 pin but a select few pins from the connector.

19 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The motherboards still use the regular atx spec for power they just don't use the full 24 pin but a select few pins from the connector.

From what I could find, the PSU only has 12V rails, with 11Vsb. Where did you find that it has 3.3V, 5V and 5Vsb rails? 

The adapter you sent has some shrink wrap in the middle of the cable, I suspect it might have a voltage converter for the standby rail. 

:)

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yes but that is a decade old used/refurbed psu.

I'd just get a new unit

Is a Cooler Master Elite 500W 230v V4 a good one?

1 minute ago, techfich said:

Is a Cooler Master Elite 500W 230v V4 a good one?

Not they are quite bad.

Whats the budget? If there is one thing to not cheap out on it's the psu.

These hp psu's are actually quite nice quality hence why it's worked for a decade+ without a hitch.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not they are quite bad.

Whats the budget? If there is one thing to not cheap out on it's the psu.

These hp psu's are actually quite nice quality hence why it's worked for a decade+ without a hitch.

The budget is around 60 dollars. But is a corsair cx600m a good one

7 minutes ago, techfich said:

The budget is around 60 dollars. But is a corsair cx600m a good one

Not really no that is very old. Haven't been sold since like 2018.

I'd just get the one I recommended and the adapter

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Not really no that is very old. Haven't been sold since like 2018.

I'd just get the one I recommended and the adapter

I dont have like a high end pc its only a i7-4770 and a rx 470 sapphire nitro+

Just now, techfich said:

I dont have like a high end pc its only a i7-4770 and a rx 470 sapphire nitro+

Yeah so that 50$ msi A550 is perfectly fine. It's recent, decent and well in budget.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah so that 50$ msi A550 is perfectly fine. It's recent, decent and well in budget.

No i meant about the corsair cx600m

4 minutes ago, techfich said:

No i meant about the corsair cx600m

A cx600m is quite a old psu design that was ok back in like 2014. I simply wouldn't buy that today when there is better options. You also do not know how old this is since these have been produced between 14-17.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

A cx600m is quite a old psu design that was ok back in like 2014. I simply wouldn't buy that today when there is better options. You also do not know how old this is since these have been produced between 14-17.

My mom wont trust you 😞