Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10/11

IndirectX
Go to solution Solved by whispous,

Unfortunately free upgrades are gone.

You'll want to Wipe the machine entirely and install Windows 10 from scratch. It's unlikely the device supports Win 11.

Can I upgrade my Windows 8.1 OS (Single Language Edition) license to a Windows 10 or Windows 11 license?

Recently I uncovered a 2013 Toshiba Satellite S50 A with a GeForce 710M and a Intel i5 4th Gen with 1TB HDD. I want to do a clean installation of Windows 10 or Windows 11 on it. Can I avail a Windows 10 or Windows 11 License from the current Windows 8.1 License? I will be doing my best to remove bloatware from the laptop.

Laptop gamer!!!

I break phone software to learn something new.

Looking for a pre-built PC or gaming laptop which can be upgraded.

Unfortunately free upgrades are gone.

You'll want to Wipe the machine entirely and install Windows 10 from scratch. It's unlikely the device supports Win 11.

6 minutes ago, whispous said:

It's unlikely the device supports Win 11.

There are workarounds to make Win11 support CPUs older than 8th gen, but the performance won't be great, especially with mobile hardware and a HDD.

I'd recommend upgrading to an SSD and running Win10.

Edited by Average Nerd

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

Just now, Average Nerd said:

There are workarounds to make Win11 support CPUs older than 8th gen, but the performance won't be great, especially with mobile hardware and a HDD.

Sounds like a terrible idea, if you want any level of reliability from the machine.

31 minutes ago, Average Nerd said:

but the performance won't be great, especially with mobile hardware

you know... this performance thing is utter marketing nonsense. win11 is just as heay as win10, and i've ran it just fine on a wide range of shitboxes, including an i3-540, and a j5005.

i do support the notion of going for an ssd, win10 and win11 both rely on disk IO far more that win8 and before.

17 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've ran it just fine on a wide range of shitboxes, including an i3-540, and a j5005.

I guess the laptop with a i5 4210U that I had to fix recently was an outlier, as Win10 ran terribly on it, despite it having an SSD.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

7 hours ago, Average Nerd said:

I'd recommend upgrading to an SSD and running Win10.

True, but the laptop I am using (the one mentioned) wont be upgraded because the entire frame is already falling out.

The main reason I asked was because my main laptop went for service due to a broken hinge. So my dad gave me this Laptop for any things I needed.

Thanks for the answers anyways guys!

Laptop gamer!!!

I break phone software to learn something new.

Looking for a pre-built PC or gaming laptop which can be upgraded.

7 hours ago, Average Nerd said:

I guess the laptop with a i5 4210U that I had to fix recently was an outlier, as Win10 ran terribly on it, despite it having an SSD.

there's a number of things that could be wrong there, but i'm not here to disprove you with wild theories i cannot verify on your hardware anyways. 

i *have* gotten quite handy with keeping both win10 and win11 in check. usually when they run like ass it's to do with some windows update process (usually drivers), or just some insane misfortune with platform specific drivers.

i have one AMD based netbook that runs both win10 and win11 better than the win7 it shipped with, other than a bug with the latest release of the mouse driver, which crashes and takes the keyboard driver with it because someone at HP was truly a genius that day... so it's basicly unusable.