I keep on getting this popup saying I have two viruses, and lot's of Bitcoin popups too. Help?

So yeah, I always get these windows whenever I open my phone that say I have two viruses, and it tells me to install a specific premium AV, which costs like $10 a week. Heck no, I'm not paying that! And all these windows about fake ways to earn a Bitcoin in 10 minutes... what do I do? My anti-virus (AVG), detects no threats, I've cleaned my phone several times, so what do I do? I don't want to pay money. Also, the popup says that it will damage my SIM, but I don't even have a SIM I this phone. So what do I do?

Screenshot_20240317_131323_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240317_133016_Samsung Internet.jpg

15 minutes ago, Xnihilo97 said:

So yeah, I always get these windows whenever I open my phone that say I have two viruses, and it tells me to install a specific premium AV, which costs like $10 a week. Heck no, I'm not paying that! And all these windows about fake ways to earn a Bitcoin in 10 minutes... what do I do? My anti-virus (AVG), detects no threats, I've cleaned my phone several times, so what do I do? I don't want to pay money. Also, the popup says that it will damage my SIM, but I don't even have a SIM I this phone. So what do I do

Firstly, don't pay the money. The is likely a scareware attack or similar. The idea is to get the user to hand over money or card details with scary popup messages like the ones your seeing.

Secondly, what were you doing when the popups first appeared? Browsing or did you install a new app or something else? (If you installed a new app, uninstall it and see if the popups go away.)

Thirdly, when does the popup appear, only in your browsing app or at other times?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

19 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Firstly, don't pay the money. The is likely a scareware attack or similar. The idea is to get the user to hand over money or card details with scary popup messages like the ones your seeing.

Secondly, what were you doing when the popups first appeared? Browsing or did you install a new app or something else? (If you installed a new app, uninstall it and see if the popups go away.)

Thirdly, when does the popup appear, only in your browsing app or at other times?

20 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Idk what it was that brought it on. I don't know if I'd installed any apps recently. And it appears in my Samsumg browser, not my Chrome browser.

Also, other popups like this:

Screenshot_20240317_140040_Samsung Internet.jpg

12 minutes ago, Xnihilo97 said:

Idk what it was that brought it on. I don't know if I'd installed any apps recently. And it appears in my Samsumg browser, not my Chrome browser.

Okay, the issue is likely solely with the Samsung browser.

What specifically do you have to do to open the popup? Do they just appear when you open the browser? What happens when you press the home button?

Please be very specific.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

2 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Okay, the issue is likely solely with the Samsung browser.

What specifically do you have to do to open the popup? Do they just appear when you open the browser? What happens when you press the home button?

Please be very specific.

They just open up whenever I turn open the phone after it's been closed for like 5 minutes. I don't open the browser or anything. And it behaves just like a regular tab, it just opens itself. Also, I don't actually use the Samsung browser ever.

24 minutes ago, Xnihilo97 said:

They just open up whenever I turn open the phone after it's been closed for like 5 minutes. I don't open the browser or anything. And it behaves just like a regular tab, it just opens itself. Also, I don't actually use the Samsung browser ever.

Okay, can you uninstall the samsung browser?

He/Him

Wait, I think I got it! I uninstalled a game that I must have downloaded at the time, and now it isn't happening. Interesting thing is, it was a big EA game, I didn't think it would infect my phone. I'm gonna give it more time, but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion of uninstalling!

14 minutes ago, Xnihilo97 said:

Wait, I think I got it! I uninstalled a game that I must have downloaded at the time, and now it isn't happening. Interesting thing is, it was a big EA game, I didn't think it would infect my phone. I'm gonna give it more time, but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion of uninstalling!

No problem, just reply to this message if the popups come back.

He/Him

2 hours ago, will0hlep said:

No problem, just reply to this message if the popups come back.

Dang it, it came back.

1 minute ago, Xnihilo97 said:

Dang it, it came back.

save all sensitive information and maybe do a full factory reset on the phone?

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

save all sensitive information and maybe do a full factory reset on the phone?

I just don't think it's being hacked, as my anti-virus doesn't detect anything.

4 minutes ago, Xnihilo97 said:

I just don't think it's being hacked, as my anti-virus doesn't detect anything.

Screenshot_20240317_174435_AVG AntiVirus.jpg

Maybe I'll reset Chrome? Idk what to do at this point.

But I don't want to do a factory reset.

16 minutes ago, Xnihilo97 said:

thats the only thing that will get rid of of the virus

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

32 minutes ago, Xnihilo97 said:

What kind of websites do you navigate to? When I had an Android phone(HTC One M8), I would get the same pop-ups as well. It would happen when using the Facebook browser but not all the time.

Is it possible to disable the Samsung browser? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What kind of websites do you navigate to? When I had an Android phone(HTC One M8), I would get the same pop-ups as well. It would happen when using the Facebook browser but not all the time.

Is it possible to disable the Samsung browser? 

I don't think so.

I'm not very worried about it. I don't have any cards on it or anything, no private info... it seems harmless right now, they're all just ads. I'll continue to try to fix it, but it's not a huge deal (I think)