BIOS freezes after a while after installing dual boot Ubuntu, getting BSODs and freezing boots

Go to solution Solved by GitaarSnaar,

Okay hold on I'm onto something. When building I turned on XMP and CPU "Game mode" on my MB. I turned both those off and now I can boot into windows and ubuntu. I immediately ran the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App and performance monitor, the latter one is still running and never finished, so I only have the sysnative one.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

I booted into Ubuntu and installed all amd GPU drivers from their website.

I then re-enabled the default XMP profile and can boot into Windows and Ubuntu again. I'm leaving that "Game mode" off because I think it's some overclocking settings that can be messing with my system.

Hi all,

Edit: the issue seems to be more fundamental. I can get into BIOS, and I opened hardware monitor to look at my CPU temps and after being there for a while I wanted to close it and my BIOS froze. Rest of the story provides context on how I got to this situation...

I'm slightly panicking here. I had a good working setup with just Windows 11 (pro) installed (upgraded from Windows 10 pro) on my newly build machine (tech specs will follow). I installed Ubuntu as dual boot in a separate partition on the same SSD as my windows is located. It booted into MOK (I had secure boot set up) but I had issues with that so I passed it. It booted fine a couple of times when so I performed the necessary updates but after that it the problems started. I reboot into ubuntu and at the login screen it works fine, but trying to login in or open a different tty (ctrl+alt+f2 e.g.) it froze again (not getting into the desktop at all when logging in or not even reaching the tty). I tried rebooting into windows and I'm getting a different BSOD every time. Trying to boot into Windows recovery mode works, but when opening CMD I'm getting different BSODs as well. Couple I've had were:

- IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in ntoskrnl.exe

- MEMORY_MANAGEMENT when trying to run DISM in cmd in recovery

And a couple more but didn't have time to take a picture because my pc rebooted immediately. I tried swapping the boot order back hoping that was the cause, but then my BIOS froze... I don't understand how to get the dump files in this situation since booting from my Windows 10 install USB is freezing as well on the windows logo.

My BIOS is on E7E26AMS.150 (just the version with which it shipped) and I see on the MSI page that there is a BIOS update available. But honestly, with my BIOS freezing I'm really afraid to start flashing a new version on it... what If it happens during the update?

• OS - Windows 11 + Ubuntu 22.04 dual boot
  • x86 (32-bit) (i think I'm sorry I'm not sure)
  • What OS was originaly installed on the system? Windows 11 pro retail
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer)? purchased from retailer
  • Age of system (hardware) less than a month
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? less than a month
  • CPU model AMD Ryzen 5 7600X Boxed
  • Video Card model ASRock AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT Phantom Gaming 20GB OC
  • MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI (MS-7E26)
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this) Seasonic Focus GX-750
  • System Manufacturer what?
  • Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

Is there anyone able to help me?

Things I tried:

• tried going into Ubuntu advanced, pick the older version in recovery but after browsing in the settings for a while it crashes and spews out this enormous log (see attached picture). 
  • tried booting into my Ubuntu boot USB but that freezes at boot logo
  • tried booting into my Windows 10 pro USB but that freezes at boot logo

IMG_5845.jpeg

Edited by GitaarSnaar
added bios info

Posted (edited)

Okay hold on I'm onto something. When building I turned on XMP and CPU "Game mode" on my MB. I turned both those off and now I can boot into windows and ubuntu. I immediately ran the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App and performance monitor, the latter one is still running and never finished, so I only have the sysnative one.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

I booted into Ubuntu and installed all amd GPU drivers from their website.

I then re-enabled the default XMP profile and can boot into Windows and Ubuntu again. I'm leaving that "Game mode" off because I think it's some overclocking settings that can be messing with my system.

Edited by GitaarSnaar
provided solution?